E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Intermittent airmatic problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e500 Sport
Intermittent airmatic problem

So I’m having a problem with the automatic suspension, seems like issues are fairly common though. I have a 2003 e500 sport and sometimes when I go out in the morning the rear is completely lowered while the front remains unchanged. It will also do this sometimes just after an hour or two. This is where it gets different though. Most of the time nothing has changed. It’s typically at the same level as when I turned it off, so leaky bags kind of seems out of the question. What could cause an intermittent leak like this?

thank you for the help!
Old 08-24-2018, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 929 Likes on 721 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Set for Comfort mode and see if it drops overnight. Then set in Sport 1 or Sport 2 and see if it drops overnight. If it drops in Comfort but not Sport, it is a leak in the hose connected the air spring to the external reservoir. If it drops in both Comfort and Sport, you will need to check all fittings (at air springs, the T-junction located on the center of the rear sub-frame under the car, and also the fittings under the rear seat, then work forward to the valve block located under the driver's side headlight (remove fender liner to access). Soapy water spray is your friend.

Keep in mind that the air springs may be on the way out due to the age of the rubber bladder. Arnott replacements recommended.
The following users liked this post:
Onyxthecat (09-08-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E500 4matic
I've also seen the lines leak at the block valve where the lines go into the block.