E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

harmon kardon option

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211
harmon kardon option

The harmon/kardon upgrade - is it just an upgrade to the standard speakers? Is it something that could be retrofitted?

Any information regards the difference to stock stereo appreciated.....
Old 06-05-2004, 09:11 AM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Head unit is differant offers Logic Sound as a differance from the stock Bose which is very good unit by the way
Old 06-05-2004, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
he is right, and also adds an amp, and woofer. even though it sounds real nice, and all, if you plan to change out the speakers, keep your 5-600 or whatever the price is for the HK, and get aftermarket speakers. they will be better for sure, same thing with the amp and woofer, there isnt that much bass at all....but the HK is real clear, say for classical music, orin our case indian music, it sounds real nice. GL
Old 06-05-2004, 07:23 PM

w211
H/K alternatives....

Always looking for the best sound - if h/k systems are not that great what speakers are people using in their otherwise stock systems ?
Old 06-05-2004, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
i haven really seen many ppl put aftermarket speakers in thier Eclass. its not like they are bad, but if you want a really good system, then an aftermarket system would be better. there are a lot of guys on the W203 board with a lot of aftermarket stuff. GL
Old 06-05-2004, 09:32 PM

2004 E500
Well, now that we are discussing this, I have observed that the sound from the Logic 7 system has some undesirable aspects. I listen mostly to rock music. I have noticed that the clarity of the sound has produced two noticeable effects. First, the sound is very cold and metallic to my ear. Also, I noticed that the sound is very forward or invasive. The sounds that you want to turn up the volume for are so concentrated, that I find myself actually turning the volume down because the sounds hurt my ears. The drums or guitar or horns are so forward as to be piercing. Does anyone else have this impression?
Old 06-05-2004, 09:48 PM
RAD
Banned

2004 E500 4MATIC
When discussing sound, IMHO, I believe first and foremost we should be consistent on the type of media (CD, sat radio, radio) to have an apples-to-apples discussion. For example, I've noticed that CDs sound much better than sat radio.

As for CDs, I think the h/k sounds great myself with a wide range of styles (rock, country, pop, classical), though I have set the balance more toward the rear so that I can hear it from all directions.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:58 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
You can set it to stereo sound if you don't like the 7Logic sound..
Old 06-07-2004, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by marksatex
Head unit is differant offers Logic Sound as a differance from the stock Bose which is very good unit by the way
I might add that the head unit is exactly the same whether you have H/K sound or not. The difference is (as pointed out before) the speakers, and also the audio gateway (which contains the Lexicon surround processor).

I have the Logic7 surround turned off for my "primarily stereo" sound sources: radio, CD, aux. I have Logic7 activated for my sound sources that are primarily encoded in surround: DVD, TV Tuner, Video Aux inputs.

-s-
Old 06-07-2004, 09:22 AM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Originally posted by Rudegar
Well, now that we are discussing this, I have observed that the sound from the Logic 7 system has some undesirable aspects. I listen mostly to rock music. I have noticed that the clarity of the sound has produced two noticeable effects. First, the sound is very cold and metallic to my ear. Also, I noticed that the sound is very forward or invasive. The sounds that you want to turn up the volume for are so concentrated, that I find myself actually turning the volume down because the sounds hurt my ears. The drums or guitar or horns are so forward as to be piercing. Does anyone else have this impression?
Hi

I have found the same myself. I now use the std stereo option for std music. I think it sounds better without all that concentrated sound from the centre front. Logik 7 sounds great though when playing a DVD film.

Must admit I was expecting better for the extra money.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W209
I was told that the HK system in the E class rocks. Those are some of they nicest upgrades of speakers a dealer has to offer. It sounds really great.