E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2007 E350 4matic Wagon 722.6 5sp Transmission Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4matic wagon
2007 E350 4matic Wagon 722.6 5sp Transmission Questions

So the cold temp jerk has been lingering for a year now... and all the info I read are just confusing. Hoping to get some expert advises here.

I've read the transmission fluid temp is critical in getting to the right level - so I just bought Torque Pro with OBDII reader, as well as Bluedrive OBDII. Unfortunately, it seems Bluedrive doesn't read TFT, and Torque Pro seems to, but requires some custom PID to read it.

First question:
- Does anyone know if there is a custom PID I can input in the Torque Pro app to read MB Transmission Fluid?
- There are several preset, and the one that works is Jeep 2012 or later - but this reads very different temps when car is in D or P (like 25C delta from 55C to 78C within a few mins of idle).

Second question: assume I get the temperature figured out... or assume I am guessing the right 25C or 80C fluid temperature......
- Do you measure the fluid with car on and in P / N, or in D / R gear? I get different readings and I read different guidelines from different websites.

I think I've got too much fluid in there now, and will be draining and refilling this weekend, but want to know how to set to the right level if at all possible.

Lastly - for those who have done this - after drain/fill with filter change, is 4 L or 4 Quarts a good starting point to get enough but not overfill? I've read both. How much total do I need to be safe? I have a gallon ready.

Thanks!!!
Old 10-12-2018, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Get an IR thermometer on the pan for fluid temps that should be close enough...you’re overthinking this.

80C in Park. Make sure you have the correct 722.6 dipstick
Old 10-12-2018, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by ps2cho
Get an IR thermometer on the pan for fluid temps that should be close enough...you’re overthinking this.

80C in Park. Make sure you have the correct 722.6 dipstick
Thanks - you at least confirmed it's in PARK. I see so many links that says D/R, which impacts level drastically

Temp - I know I'm over thinking it, but it seems to make a significant difference, some would say pan never gets up to 80c

All the references on 722.6 measurement is correct, but then again all goes from the TIP, not from the stop where the snake interferes - which is what matters. Can you pls confirm the top of the 80C mark is only about 4mm from the stop? each Min-Max is about ~11mm apart with about ~34mm between 25C Max to 80C Min

Picture of 722.6 Dipstick