E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Trunk Seal Replacement Project

Old 10-19-2018, 04:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
Trunk Seal Replacement Project

During heavy rain, I'm getting some water into the trunk that has caused some mildew to form within the wheel well storage area. I thoroughly cleaned the carpet cover and storage area insert of the mildew, etc. I ordered a genuine MB replacement trunk seal to install which arrived today. Looking at the new one, it appears that I only need to remove the old one and then press this one into the rim all around the trunk opening. Has anyone done one of these before...…….any tips for removing the old seal and installing the new one, e.g., glue needed, etc?
Thanks
Old 10-21-2018, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 477 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Are you sure the water is coming in from the trunk seal? Or might it be coming in from a bad seal across the top of the license plate trim plate on the back of the car? There's a foam strip where the trim plate meets the metal of the trunk lid and I've had to stop leaks coming from there on two W211's: My own and a friend's. Automotive trim tape (high quality), works well to solve the issue.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
Trunk Water Leak

Originally Posted by rapidoxidation
Are you sure the water is coming in from the trunk seal? Or might it be coming in from a bad seal across the top of the license plate trim plate on the back of the car? There's a foam strip where the trim plate meets the metal of the trunk lid and I've had to stop leaks coming from there on two W211's: My own and a friend's. Automotive trim tape (high quality), works well to solve the issue.
I think you're referring to the seal that goes across the entire rear trunk above the chrome strip. I sealed it several years ago with clear sylicone sealant which stopped the water leak at the time. I just looked at it and it does appear there are seveal small gaps now in the sealant, so, you may be right, the water may be coming in there instead of the trunk seal. So, tomorrow I'm going to reseal those small gap areas with some more clear sealant.

But I'd still like to get some advice on installing a new trunk seal. Since I already paid for it at an online discount MB parts dealer, I'll probably replace the trunk seal as a preventative maintance approach.........rubber looses its strength after so many years and my E500 is now 13 years young.