E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2005 E500 4Matic Metal Brake Line Damaged Axle Shaft Boot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500 4Matic
2005 E500 4Matic Metal SBC Brake Line Damaged Axle Shaft Boot

First post, because I haven't been able to find much information on this issue. Keeping the backstory short, I bought this car a few months ago, replaced both front axle shafts with no issues, and the other day, I took the car to a repair shop that specializes in Mercedes to have the prop shaft replaced, and the transfer case oil changed. When I picked it up, they noted that the metal brake line is against the axle shaft boot. I picked it up after the technician left, so I couldn't get more information. Driving it home, i'm now hearing a noise that gets more intense the faster I drive. I took my wheel off to look at what they were telling me, and I found that the metal brake line is indeed against the boot, and tore it. I've attached a couple photos of the boot and the brake line.

Now, I installed the new axle shaft around 30 days ago, and I know that the brake line wasn't there before. I'm not sure how it would have come down like that, and i'm also not experiencing any issues with braking. I haven't hit anything or something that would shock the car either. The brake line is mounted to a piece that's welded to the inside of the wheel well, so I can see that clearly and it doesn't look bent in any way. It's hard to see the metal brake line because it goes deeper inside. Can anyone help me with finding out how this brake line is supposed to be mounted internally, so I can move it back so I can replace the axle shaft again?

Thank you.

Last edited by austinlbowers; 10-22-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm
Old 10-22-2018, 12:44 PM

2005 E500 4Matic
Well that how-to is for the brake line that goes from the metal line to the caliper. The metal line goes from the SBC unit, to that brake line. Somehow the metal SBC line is lower than it should be.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Would't be the first time mechanic bend parts to gain access without disassembly, but what is done, is done. Can you bend the line away from boot?
Suck to redo new axle.
Looking at Pelican picture, the line can be twisted on the bracket. Inspect it there.

Last edited by kajtek1; 10-22-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:38 PM

2005 E500 4Matic
I wasn’t sure if it was a line that I could bend. Would it be bad if I were to bend it out of the way? I found that it routes behind the heat shield and is mounted in the clip that holds it in place. It definitely makes me think it was bent by them, but they had no reason to be in that area so I’m not sure.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:16 AM

2005 E500 4Matic
Here's another photo. I realized the Pelican Parts photo was of the passenger side, and it's a little different in terms of how it's mounted against the wheel well. Passenger is to the right and goes to the right to the front of the engine, toward the SBC unit. Driver is mounted to the left, goes to the right, over the axle shaft, and toward the back of the engine to the SBC unit. I can't seem to find out how it's supposed to be mounted so it's out of the way.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:09 AM

2005 E500 4Matic
I found this image online from Pelican Parts describing how to replace something (I don't even remember anymore), and I see the brake pipe in the background. My suspicion, is that the part that it's mounted to in the wheel well may be bent. I remember the pipe being straight up, but in the photo it looks like it's tilted at a ~30 degree angle or so. Not sure, but maybe i'll try to see if I can bend the part that the pipe is mounted to there.