should I replace the engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c 180
should I replace the engine?

I have replaced the engine oil with 5w30 mb 229.5 GermanStar and a new filter
But I added only 5 litters rather than 8 litters. A warning appeared on the dashboard indicating a low oil level but because of my stupidity I have driven the car for a distance of about 5 kilometers to reach my home and add another 3 litters.
Unfortunately I found the the engine sound is louder and more rough litter knocking at acceleration.
Should I replace the engine and consider it as a damaged engine?
Could the cause is the quality and viscosity of GermanStar oil? or because of running the engine with low oil level?
May I have a smoother engine agin if i added a good quality oil?
My car engine is 3000cc
Old 10-23-2018, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
That's a little extreme. I don't think you did much damage and even if you did, once you see how much it costs to install an engine, you'll probably want to reconsider and just drive it until it actually stops running. It's probably just your imagination that it's louder. Lots of times people change oil brands and claim that the engine is either louder or quieter with a different brand. That never seems to correlate to any premature failures or engine longevity.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:29 PM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by starofnight
I have replaced the engine oil with 5w30 mb 229.5 GermanStar and a new filter
But I added only 5 litters rather than 8 litters. A warning appeared on the dashboard indicating a low oil level but because of my stupidity I have driven the car for a distance of about 5 kilometers to reach my home and add another 3 litters.
Unfortunately I found the the engine sound is louder and more rough litter knocking at acceleration.
Should I replace the engine and consider it as a damaged engine?
Could the cause is the quality and viscosity of GermanStar oil? or because of running the engine with low oil level?
May I have a smoother engine agin if i added a good quality oil?
My car engine is 3000cc
what year is your vehicle, how many kilometers on it? is this a diesel engine? You could post a video of the engine running so we can hear it.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
MB makes big oil pans for longer oil intervals, but the engine can run fine with much less of it.
You did not get red message about no oil pressure? Is so - not likely the engine got damaged.