Thought on a possible Purchase, 2009 E350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 11:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lexus IS
Thought on a possible Purchase, 2009 E350

Hi All,

Just figured this would be the best place to ask about a 2009 E350 W211 I may purchase tomorrow. I currently drive a Lexus and the lease is up in about 10 months, I am not looking to lease again for a while until I have some cash saved for a home.

In any event I found his 2009 E350 4matic about 45 minutes from my home. It has 176k on it, second owner (female). She was originally asking $5000, got her down to $4500, to $4000 final.

Options I Know of other than the basics.

Keyless go
Xenon Headlights
Rear Shade
I believe this is P1 & P2.
Sport Package with AMG wheels.

Owner says she purchased the car CPO from a Local Mercedes Dealer with Low Miles, 30k I believe. She now has 176k on it. No longer services a the dealer, uses local mechanics and does oil changes at Pep boys, or car washes.. She was honest lol.

What am I getting myself into??? I am afraid of major failures.

I have to have a w204 C300 2009 model was well, in 2012 and was always afraid of the ignition failing (can't remember the name of the issue).

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Did you end up buying it? The 2009 is the best year for W211. Still has various faults though. Motor mounts, thermostat, pulleys/tensioners. With that kind of mileage the usual stuff like control arms/ball joints would also come into play. The intake manifold is also known to go at the upper range of mileage. I suppose it's a good deal as long as it's been maintained. Keyless and Bixenons are a good option, not too common. If it had the pano roof, parktronic or folding rear seats, power trunk closer etc., those would be bonuses. Rear shade is pretty standard and part of the P1 package which probably 95% of the cars have.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:08 AM

Lexus IS
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Did you end up buying it? The 2009 is the best year for W211. Still has various faults though. Motor mounts, thermostat, pulleys/tensioners. With that kind of mileage the usual stuff like control arms/ball joints would also come into play. The intake manifold is also known to go at the upper range of mileage. I suppose it's a good deal as long as it's been maintained. Keyless and Bixenons are a good option, not too common. If it had the pano roof, parktronic or folding rear seats, power trunk closer etc., those would be bonuses. Rear shade is pretty standard and part of the P1 package which probably 95% of the cars have.

I figured the 2009 was the better of the W211 as its the last year of that body. The car does have the Pano Roof, xenons, keyless go, etc.

the car has 170 know it. Drives smooth but I bought It knowing the rear had an issue. I can only assume a lot of work was done, maybe I'm wrong? I was told today by a local mechanic (that ive never been to mind you) that the rear differential must be replaced. Quoting me $2000 which is part & labor.

I also believe the previous owner did a lot of work. She said she just had some pullys and belts replaced but doesn't have docs but said I can visit the shop she went to for records.

How can I find the part # for the rear differential so I can buy a used one online? I see them for $200-$400

I dont believe its a bearing alone... maybe I'm wrong.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well I'd get the car checked out first. You could just try changing the fluid first. As for the part number, it should be stamped on the differential somewhere. If not, you can go the dealer and give them your VIN and they will be able to look it up in their system. Or post your vin and some kind soul who has access to EPC will be able to look it up for you. You can also get EPC access either by paying MB $75 a year or buying the knock off DVD on eBay which contains EPC and WIS for around $10. The WIS is the repair manual that the dealers use. EPC is the electronic parts catalog.

Oh, ignition failing was the EIS. It does happen but somewhat rare so at least it's not a common failure, just the luck of the draw.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:34 AM

Lexus IS
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Well I'd get the car checked out first. You could just try changing the fluid first. As for the part number, it should be stamped on the differential somewhere. If not, you can go the dealer and give them your VIN and they will be able to look it up in their system. Or post your vin and some kind soul who has access to EPC will be able to look it up for you. You can also get EPC access either by paying MB $75 a year or buying the knock off DVD on eBay which contains EPC and WIS for around $10. The WIS is the repair manual that the dealers use. EPC is the electronic parts catalog.

Oh, ignition failing was the EIS. It does happen but somewhat rare so at least it's not a common failure, just the luck of the draw.
Has there been luck with changing just the fluid? Also what’s the cost on something like this? I’m no mechanic by any means. I appreciate the help and feedback this is all new to me. And yes the EIS is what I was referring to. I’m very afraid of being stranded. PS the car cost me less then $5000 so I’m willing to spend a bit on repair.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550
For your knowledge, one nice perk of the 09 is that it is the only w211 with the newer nav system and I believe it has the newer AMG wheels also.

The later w211s are much better reliability wise than any of the earlier models.

regarding the diff fluid, no idea if it will help your problem, but it is easy enough to do if you want to do it. A mechanic would do it for a couple hundred.

To do it, you just get the car up in the air, locate the rear diff, take a 14mm hex bit, remove the fill plug first, remove the drain plug second (always in this order), drain the fluid for around 30m, reinstall the drain plug, and insert via syringe or pump just shy of 1 or 2 quarts (cant remember) of 75w90 fluid via the fill hole (I bought rowe from fcpeuro, but anything that meets mbspec will suffice), fill until it overflows out of the fill hole, and then close it up. All done. It is arguably easier than an oil change, if you have the stuff. YouTube videos exist showing this being done, as well.

The hardest part is getting it up and getting the parts (14mm hex ratchet isnt something most have for example)

Last edited by SethP; 11-23-2018 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well that's a pro and a con. For the earlier version of the nav, you could just burn an image of the disc which could be found online if you search. For 2009 and up, you needed a copy of the original disc, but you could always sell it afterwards as once it's loaded, it's no longer needed. They did stop updates for 2008 and earlier, not sure if 2009 still gets updates.

As for the fluid, I think MB used a strange fluid so the only one that really meets spec is the MB one although people have used other types. It's less than 2 quarts though so it's not that bad at the dealer.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:04 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
fleet
Price is a steal. dont worry about the mileage. By 2009 most issues were worked out. otherwise just a regular old petrol car like anything else on the road just more complicated because its German

edit: your rear end will most likely have to be replaced. I would find a rear pumpkin from a car being parted out: look on Craigslist, then swap it in or have someone do it. I do not think replacing the fluid will fix this issue but who knows right? At this point, you need to drain the fluid in the rear (5 minute job) and hope no metal is in the oil

there is another thread on this forum currently and his rear end went out: he reported over 10mph he hear noise and sure enough the bearing inside the differential went out

Last edited by e350forme; 11-28-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:29 PM

Lexus IS
I am having bearing inside the rear differential replaced tomorrow. I had two shops verify this is the issue. I hope after this, I am problem free. Did I mention the previous owner just spent $2500 on a headlight from the dealer, installed! I have confirmation from the dealer that this is true.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by isosunrise91
I am having bearing inside the rear differential replaced tomorrow. I had two shops verify this is the issue. I hope after this, I am problem free. Did I mention the previous owner just spent $2500 on a headlight from the dealer, installed! I have confirmation from the dealer that this is true.
Should have either bought used ones on eBay or just get them from Rockauto, they have them for $144-$158 without the ballast. The oems one did list for over $1500 each, you can probably get them online for around 1000.