E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Just Got My E!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Got My E!!!

Ok I got my car and I love it, but I noticed a few things that are really wrong. For one THE BRAKES!! Why the hell do they keep pumping everytime I use them? Its highly annoying. And why is the volume on the radio so freaking low?? I've heard stock civic systems that are much louder than this. Is there a way to increase the maximum volume and also does adding an IPOD increase your max volume?

Any fix on the brakes or is that just how the car is?
Old 06-14-2004, 02:46 PM

2004 E500
I've had my E500 for about a month and the brakes are smooth as silk. I haven't had to do a crash stop yet so I don't know if the ABS pumps. Your problem might be in the ABS.

My sound is as loud as I would ever want it and I have a hearing problem. I haven't tried running my Rio Karma through the Auxiliary input yet so I don't know what effect that has.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
I had an '03 E500 for a year and just got my E55. Neither one had the brake problem you are describing. Take it back to the dealer. My volume is also as loud as I would want it. Are you saying that you keep turning the volume up and it doesn't get louoder? I've been on this board since the new E was introduced and I haven't heard of anyone complaining about that. There are PLENTY of radio issues, but not yours.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
The radio is plenty loud.. it actually functions CORRECTLY as it doesnt allow for hardly any distortion when you turn it all the way up. Most other systems will blow out if you turn it all the way up.

You will feel the pump turn on once in a while, but shouldnt be during normal driving. Usually at start. Get it checked.

And congrats- enjoy the car.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:08 PM

only amg
radio vloume

does this car have h k sound system? if so check to see if ambient level is small or large, also driver optimize settings, see if this helps any.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:30 PM

The volume im referring to is the CD player volume not the radio, the radio is pretty loud. i dont have HK sound.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
congrats on your car, have fun with it
Old 06-14-2004, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
I have found that some CD's are not too loud, but many times it can related to the source media. But, in general, the HK system is not that great.

The brake problem sounds like a problem that is worth taking it back to the dealer for. That doesn't sound like the normal SBC noises.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:16 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
Had my E500 for a year now and NO brake problems as you describe. Take it back to the dealer! HK sound is awsome. I can't imagine the basic Bose is so soft. I have the Bose in another E and an ML - no volume problems in either one.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:26 PM

2014 E350 4Matic/2011 E350 4matic / 2003 E500 /2000 CLK 430
Brakes-
My car and most of the others i have tested all make this pumping (groaning sound) after you jab the brakes a few times, however its usually when you are in traffic..a quick brake, let up and another will cause it...upon release... Dont waste your time taking it to the dealer, its not something they will ever fix - trust me.

Stereo - Make sure you check the settings, i would hit reset.
Because mine rocks..loud...

Enjoy your new car...my only advise is obey the break in period
relative to speed and RPMS
Old 06-14-2004, 04:34 PM

04 E320
Hi, i just purchased a 2004 E class also. I am noticing that everytime I reverse, i would hear a grinding noise for a few seconds (sound is coming from the wheel area or close to there). Is the car still breaking in? I currently have 800 miles on it. Also, sometimes when the i get in the car and turn it on, the steat would grind while moving forward. Does this car love to grind during the break-in period or is it just me?
Old 06-14-2004, 05:47 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Re: Just Got My E!!!

Originally posted by spubar
Ok I got my car and I love it, but I noticed a few things that are really wrong. For one THE BRAKES!! Why the hell do they keep pumping everytime I use them? Its highly annoying. And why is the volume on the radio so freaking low?? I've heard stock civic systems that are much louder than this. Is there a way to increase the maximum volume and also does adding an IPOD increase your max volume?

Spubar

Congrats on your new E.

Brakes; I am not sure whether you are experiencing the SBC recharging? The SBC (sensotronic brake control) pumps recharges whenever you pump your brakes. It groans and in fact on some cars have a very high pitch whine when the brake pedals are applied. I know this is irritating and any fixes MB has (at least the ones I have seen) only addresses it for a few weeks to months and it returns.

Now my dealer says that this is normal operation ... I may have to switch to a different dealership.

Volume; my HK Logic 7 sounds fine. I think you may want to bring this in for checkup.

GL
Old 06-14-2004, 05:49 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally posted by nguyen_joe
Hi, i just purchased a 2004 E class also. I am noticing that everytime I reverse, i would hear a grinding noise for a few seconds (sound is coming from the wheel area or close to there). Is the car still breaking in? I currently have 800 miles on it. Also, sometimes when the i get in the car and turn it on, the steat would grind while moving forward. Does this car love to grind during the break-in period or is it just me?
nguyen_joe, grinds on seat movement and reverse is NOT normal ... during and after break-in period.

I suggest you bring it in for checkup

GL
Old 06-14-2004, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Re: Just Got My E!!!

I hate the pathetic SBC brake on my 2004 W211, with passion !!!.

Too bad, the car is gorgegous, high quality, classy, handles relatively well, but the stupid brake make me want to get out and destroy the car with a sledge hamer every time I'm at stop sign/light. I can't stand that stupid brake keep pumping & hissing.

This makes my W210 a favorite car now. Too bad.

I'm told by the dealer that that is the way the brake work, so live with it. I know they're telling me the truth, since they let me test out different W211 (E320/500), and all make that kind of crappy noise.

Originally posted by spubar

Last edited by zam2000; 06-14-2004 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:24 PM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Hi, congrates on your car.

I think the brakes are great. No real noise on mine, am I the exception.

Seems to be mixed feelings on the HK system. Mine has got better over time, did not realise that new speakers have to wear in. Still think that the Bose system with comand was better in my C Class saloon, u could wind that right up without distortion. I have turned off Logic 7 for playing std audio, did not like all that up front noise.

I would be really concerned if I was getting grinding sounds.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:37 PM
RAD
Banned

2004 E500 4MATIC
Congrats spubar! I've had my E500 4MATIC for 2 weeks now--radio cranks (CD, radio, sat radio), and brakes work smoothly and perfectly.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:42 AM

2004 E500
I checked mine again on the drive in to work this morning. For both soft and hard braking, it is smooth and silent with no vibration or pulsing. The single play CD and radio are at about the same level but the CD changer is noticeably lower. It must be putting out a much lower signal. However, I could play it as loud as I could ever tolerate and there was still room to go.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:51 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes E500
I also donot have any noise associated with SBC. I love the brakes, because this thing stops on a dime. I may not feel the same if it made some loud noises each time though.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:03 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
It is a sound that is made upon releasing the brakes from stopping. Man it SUCKS! I hate it.. My wife doesn't even notice it.. But I also, can't stand it... Turn off the radio and listen and I'm sure you will hear it..
Old 06-15-2004, 03:56 PM

'12 CLS550, '08 M6, '04 E500
I bougt my 2004 E500 about a month ago. I also noticed the noise coming from the brake. It even makes the brake pedal virbrates a bit. It is kind of annoying. I am going to bring it to the dealer to have them check it up. I am also noticing some squeaking noise coming from my seat that needs to be fixed.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:18 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 GLE 450
That Harmon Kardon system rocks! I've compared it with Bose system in my friend's Infiniti and even against the Mark Levinson system in my wife's Lexus. I liked the HK system much better, and my friend had to grudglingly agree.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:30 PM

I dont have the HK system because I keep hearing in this car it sucks and is not worth the extra money. I think the volume problem lies in the fact that the command headunit is trying to do too much. i dont think its the speakers, if i wired in a panasonic radio or whatever im sure it would play a lot better. it sucks to have a car so nice with such a low sound system. i dont know who old u guys are but I like to play my music loud enough for my entire block to hear and as it stands only people standing next to the car can hear it with the volume all the way up. The stereo in my BMW is much louder than this.

Sound is very important to me, adding the apple IPOD made it slightly louder but its still not loud enough. Anyone have any suggestions?

And again I dont have HK.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
if you want a better system, youll need a better hu, and better speakers, simple as that. gl