E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Activating Both Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Activating Both Fog Lights

I take delivery of my 320 in seven days! One thing that has always bothered me about the rear fog lights are that only one side lights up (at least in the US). Is there a way to activate the other side? How does it work???????????
Old 06-14-2004, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
This is the way its designed to work... I'm thinking that if both rear lights were to be lit the person behind you would'nt know when you hit the brakes because both lights would already be burning bright....
Old 06-15-2004, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 White on Stone E320
Exactly! You're not supposed to light up both, just one side. Plus, the overwhelming majority of Americans don't know how to properly use rear fogs. I'm glad it's not easy to accidentally turn on cuz it's really distracting on a clear night.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:56 AM

2004 E500 4Matic
If you were to add a rear fog light to the passenger side, it would certainly be annoying to other drivers but the brake light is at the top of the housing and the fog is at the bottom so it wouldn't pose any safety risks.

I'll be taking out my taillights pretty soon (upgrading to LED) and I'll let you know if it's possible to add the light.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:40 AM

2004 E 4matic StationWagon
Explain?

Can anyone please explain to me the American obsession with running the fog lights all the time, whether or not the weather warrants their use? My understanding, from driver's ed long ago, is that fog lights blind other drivers under dry/normal driving conditions and their use therefore is to be minimized. Is that no longer current thinking?
Old 06-15-2004, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Explain?

Originally posted by KShortill
Can anyone please explain to me the American obsession with running the fog lights all the time, whether or not the weather warrants their use? My understanding, from driver's ed long ago, is that fog lights blind other drivers under dry/normal driving conditions and their use therefore is to be minimized. Is that no longer current thinking?
You, sir are no idiot.
People seem to have forgotten that these are FOG lamps!
To be used in FOGGY or unusual circumstances. I can't begin to count how many times I have seen people on the freeway with bliding foglights on. Some of them even get Xenon upgrades for the fogs in non-show cars!
Old 06-15-2004, 08:12 AM

I never said I planned to run the fog lights all the time I just asked if there was a way to illuminate both rear lights. And the rear fog lights are hardly blinding.

Does anyone know if other countries use the same fog light system (left rear light only) or do some countries have the reverse configuration (right rear light)? On my Bimmer it looked like the right taillight cluster could accomodate a right fog light.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:17 AM

E500
Here in miami they also run the break down warning lights when its raining,as if we cannot see them,
Old 06-15-2004, 09:40 AM

2004 E500
Originally posted by luxury1
[Does anyone know if other countries use the same fog light system (left rear light only) or do some countries have the reverse configuration (right rear light)? On my Bimmer it looked like the right taillight cluster could accomodate a right fog light. [/B]
The left rear light only is standard on European cars. My Porsche Boxster has the same setup and every rental I have ever had in Europe has been the same.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:51 AM

2008 ML350 4matic
IMHO factory front fogs are just for appearance...

Originally posted by KShortill
On most cars, fogs are usually part of a "sport" package to give the car a sportier, more aggressive appearance. Factory fogs aren't intense enough or aimed properly as to really be useful as fog lights.

I see MBs with their fogs on all the time. They don't bother me one bit. The ones that do bother me are the fogs on SUVs - they're usually placed to high.

I had real aftermarket fogs placed on my '89 jetta. I only used them when there was actually fog out and they did they're job well.

my $.02
Old 06-15-2004, 11:15 AM

QUOTE]Here in miami they also run the break down warning lights when its raining,as if we cannot see them,[/QUOTE]

This is the biggest reason I want them. I am in sales so I pull over on the highway a lot to take calls or look at files. It is a pain to keep my foot on the brake then entire time so I put on the parking lights but that is not much light in the rear when the semi's are passing by. I thought the fogs would be helpful but the more light the better so I was hoping to get both sides lit.

On most cars, fogs are usually part of a "sport" package to give the car a sportier, more aggressive appearance. Factory fogs aren't intense enough or aimed properly as to really be useful as fog lights.
I had real aftermarket fogs placed on my '89 jetta. I only used them when there was actually fog out and they did they're job well.
You are right, the front fog lights do add to the sport factor of the car in my opinion. And there is a difference between fog lights and driving lights. Most of the white lights can be referred to as driving lights while the yellow lights are probably more properly designated as fog lights.