W211 e320 misfire kickdown

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E320 (2003 model)
W211 e320 misfire kickdown

Hi Guys,

I own a MB W211 E320 (year 2003) with 63k miles on the clock. I'm the second owner of the car, and the car has a full service history (dealer maintained).

Unfortunately experiencing the following issue:
When using the kickdown and the engine is just about to shift to the next gear (in highest revs), the engine management light comes on and the car will run rough.

Star scanning tool showed a misfire on cylinder 6, So I decided to renew all 12 spark plugs (along with the major service). Not long after the major service same problem on the same cilinder 6.. So I swapped the coil of cil 6 with the coil of cil 5 (only the coils, not the spark plug cables). Again the misfire occured, but this time on cilinder 5.
So I thought I found the problem and replaced the coil of cilinder 5 for a brand new OEM one, but on the next kickdown again misfire cilinder 5. Next step I swapped the coil + spark plug cables of cilinder 5 with cilinder 4 but the misfire remains on cylinder 5..

Next step I had the Catalic converters checked, and they seem to be ok.
I have to mention that the misfire only occurs when using the kickdown. When driving normally no misfire will occur.

Any suggestions?