Need Help Tracking Down Airmatic Issue - 5508

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500 Wagon
Need Help Tracking Down Airmatic Issue - 5508

Hi guys,

2005 E500 4matic Wagon. So recently started getting another Airmatic error. Front struts and pump were both replaced a bit over a year ago. Getting the 5508 Airmatic error saying there's a leak. Entire front of the car was lower, not dipped to any particular side. Got access to the pump and the only thing out of ordinary was the rubber tube from the filter had a hole in it, so I cut out the bad part and reconnected. Everything else looks good. Put it all back together to see if that was the issue and it's still not raising the car.

If I clear the code with my MBII reader, and start the car up, it runs for a few seconds, does a few checks, then the airmatic error appears again. I never hear the pump start up, nothing ever moves. When I check the relay and fuse, everything looks good. Even put a new maxi fuse in to make sure. I also replaced the relay with the old relay from last pump just to see if it was a relay issue and there's no different behavior. With ignition on, there's no power at the 40amp fuse, not sure if there is only power there when the pump is running or not. Next step is to pull the floorboard and check the prefuse.

Just got back from a 4 day vacation and the car is the same height it was when I left and not as low as I would expect if there was a major leak in the system. Short of finding a STAR system (unless someone reading this is in the DFW area), what should my next steps be? I wouldn't think the pump would be bad but anything's possible. I've looked all over this board and other boards trying to find clues. Any help is appreciated.