E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Instrument cluster died

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350 4matic wagon
Instrument cluster died

Changed out main battery now instrument cluster not working at all. Checked all fuses still nothing?
Old 12-20-2018, 05:57 PM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Millies55
Changed out main battery now instrument cluster not working at all. Checked all fuses still nothing?
when changing out a battery, first connect the ground and tighten it. Then the positive cable, but you cannot half *** touch it, let it hop around on the post before it makes solid contact, solid contact has to be made ultra carefully and quickly otherwise you could introduce a voltage spike.

is the car drivable?

who changed out the battery you or someone else?

Last edited by ot1; 12-20-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:02 AM

2007 E350 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by ot1

when changing out a battery, first connect the ground and tighten it. Then the positive cable, but you cannot half *** touch it, let it hop around on the post before it makes solid contact, solid contact has to be made ultra carefully and quickly otherwise you could introduce a voltage spike.

is the car drivable?

I changed it out. And yes everything but cluster seems to work.I am an experienced shade tree mechanic. Have had luck with lots of Mercedes repairs including battery replacement. This has me stumped. I have followed all procedures except using a remote 12v to keep computers active. Reprogramming seats ect. not a problem. A thread said check for power at the #4 pin on cluster plug but did not say how to determine which is #4 or proper voltage. I have done a hard reset and now feel that I need to send cluster on for repair. Your thoughts?
Old 12-21-2018, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by ot1
is the car drivable?
Pretty much all battery change out procedures say to remove the negative first and connect it last. Reason being is that if you short the positive to the body while connecting it, you will get sparks and more with the negative connected. Nothing happens if the negative isn't connected. And if you short the negative to the body while tightening it, nothing happens.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:16 PM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Millies55
I changed it out. And yes everything but cluster seems to work.I am an experienced shade tree mechanic. Have had luck with lots of Mercedes repairs including battery replacement. This has me stumped. I have followed all procedures except using a remote 12v to keep computers active. Reprogramming seats ect. not a problem. A thread said check for power at the #4 pin on cluster plug but did not say how to determine which is #4 or proper voltage. I have done a hard reset and now feel that I need to send cluster on for repair. Your thoughts?
what is your chassis number such as 211.xxx i want to look something up.

also, maybe, just maybe its caught in a lock state, i have read more than once that some modules stops working during replacement of the battery the last one that comes to mind is no audio sound after replacing the main battery and what fixed it was disconnecting the battery waiting a couple minutes and reconnecting it. its worth a try.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:12 AM

2007 E350 4matic wagon
Chassis number WDBUH56J26A726385

From what I can tell everything works except the cluster. I have unhooked the neg from the battery and waited for a possible reset but still nothing.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Try pulling the IC and disconnecting for 15 or so minutes for a possible reset if this fails best to have someone do a quick test with MB DAS (diagnostics) to pull fault codes.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Instrument cluster.pdf (84.6 KB, 106 views)
Old 02-25-2019, 09:52 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
fleet
.edit
Old 02-25-2019, 09:54 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
fleet
was this ever figured out?

I did not touch my battery at all. Left car outside for past month, not driving it too much. (has been very cold)

it seems that at first, climate control did not work, then it does, and then radio did not work but now works, ect.

is this just a bad/cold battery issue?

instrument cluster gets no juice nothing works like speedo, tach, blinkers

I forgot to mention that the car itself drives fine