Dealer Profit on European Delivery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 12:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
Dealer Profit on European Delivery

Hi all:

I’m looking to order an E320 CDI for November European delivery. Before I begin to negotiate with the dealer, does anyone know what the originating dealer is paid by MBUSA for their services? I know that these vehicles are not charged against the dealer’s allocation.

I’ve read here that some dealers will throw in the Rally hotel package. Has anyone received any other concessions?

BTW, feel free to PM me if you know of a dealer who will work with the customer on this pricing.

Also, any thoughts on Ash or Stone with Platinum Blue? I’ve yet to see one with Stone but a friend of mine’s Jag is medium blue with a cream interior and it looks great.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500
I have never done an MB European delivery but, for whatever it's worth, I know from personal experience that for Porsche a European delivery counts against a dealer allocation and that some Porsche dealers will negotiate on the Euro delivery. I used my credit union buying service and got a great deal on my US delivery E500. AAA also has a buying service as do others so you might want to look into that.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally posted by BoSoxFan
I have never done an MB European delivery but, for whatever it's worth, I know from personal experience that for Porsche a European delivery counts against a dealer allocation and that some Porsche dealers will negotiate on the Euro delivery. I used my credit union buying service and got a great deal on my US delivery E500. AAA also has a buying service as do others so you might want to look into that.
I know some older ladies that use buying services to buy Toyotas because Toyota sales people are taught never to let a prospect out of their sight. I once had to leave my wife as a hostage before they'd let me go to the bathroom by myself...seriously!
Old 06-18-2004, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Re: Dealer Profit on European Delivery

Originally posted by TPAbnz
Hi all:

I’m looking to order an E320 CDI for November European delivery. Before I begin to negotiate with the dealer, does anyone know what the originating dealer is paid by MBUSA for their services? I know that these vehicles are not charged against the dealer’s allocation.
I don't know about Mercedes markups for Euro Delivery but here is what BMW does according to an Internet site:

Base MSRP for USA delivery - $55,000
Base MSRP for Euro Delivery - $51,150
Dealer Wholesale for USA delivery - $50,210
Dealer Wholesale for Euro Delivery - $46,545

As you can see, dealers do have something to work with on Euro Deliveries. It looks like they have 10% of Base MSRP to play with. In the BMW example, if the dealer gave you an extra $1K off the Euro price, he'd still make a nice profit.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:36 PM

2004 E500
Originally posted by BudC
I I once had to leave my wife as a hostage before they'd let me go to the bathroom by myself...seriously!
I know some guys who would consider that to be a once in a lifetime opportunity!

Seriously, I did mine all by phone and fax. Part of their agreement with the credit union is "no hassle."
Old 06-18-2004, 03:01 PM

2004 E500
Re: Re: Dealer Profit on European Delivery

I don't know about Mercedes markups for Euro Delivery but here is what BMW does according to an Internet site:

Base MSRP for USA delivery - $55,000
Base MSRP for Euro Delivery - $51,150
Dealer Wholesale for USA delivery - $50,210
Dealer Wholesale for Euro Delivery - $46,545

As you can see, dealers do have something to work with on Euro Deliveries. It looks like they have 10% of Base MSRP to play with. In the BMW example, if the dealer gave you an extra $1K off the Euro price, he'd still make a nice profit.
If Mercedes has similar differentials, it might have something to do with the 5-7% discounts they offer for Euro delivery. I have never understood the economics of Euro delivery pricing. The manufacturer still has to ultimately deliver the car to you through a US dealer so the cost to him should theoretically be the same except that he is also paying for temporary Euro registration and insurance for the 2-4 weeks that you have the car in Europe. So, you should pay more rather than less. Which is what Porsche does but most other manufacturers offer a discount.

As to getting the best deal, what I recommend is to get on the mbusa.com site, use the "Build Your Own" option to configure the car exactly the way you want, and print it out. Then, use the site to find a half dozen dealers, call and speak to a salesman at each and tell him that all he has to do is give you a fax number and a quote. Since you have done all the work, all he has to do to get a sale is give you the best price after you fax him the configuration. I did this once and never even met the dealer (who was 200 miles away) since it was Euro delivery and I picked the car up at the port when it was delivered to the US.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
Ok, ok...

Let's start with...MB has a MUCH better ED than BMW. BMW has a discount on the base car only. It is around $3k on a 530. No discount on options.

MB has an across the board 7% discount. It includes all options. Its on the order as a 7% discount (I am looking at mine, came in the mail today via dealer). Additionally, MB does not charge destination fee, $720, or about another 1-2% (about 1-1.4% on an E-Class).

Now I don't know exactly what dealers pay, however a early post said they get an additional 7% or 10%. Many dealers won't negotiate ED (it is already less expensive than US invoice). Others will. $700-1000 off seemed easy to get (within 3 calls). It is possible, but not easy, to get more.

Now AMG models and some other scarce models (e.g. SLK350s) are not available on ED. And there are other trade-offs. You save car rentals, however you are driving your NEW car on narrow, unfamilar roads with signs in a foreign language. You have to pay for the car a month before you pick it up and you don't receive it for 4-6 weeks after you you drop it off. That is 2-2 1/2 months. On a lease that could be $2000-2500. On a trade-in it means either no car for 2.5 months or not getting the sales tax credit on a trade. And your trip starts in Stuttgart (not exactly everyone's vacation hotspot) and the turn in is limited to 7 or so cities. Vienna, Berlin, and numerous others are not on the list.

Hope this helps,

David
Old 06-18-2004, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally posted by DavidNJ

MB has an across the board 7% discount. It includes all options. Its on the order as a 7% discount (I am looking at mine, came in the mail today via dealer). Additionally, MB does not charge destination fee, $720, or about another 1-2% (about 1-1.4% on an E-Class).

Now I don't know exactly what dealers pay, however a early post said they get an additional 7% or 10%. Many dealers won't negotiate ED (it is already less expensive than US invoice). Others will. $700-1000 off seemed easy to get (within 3 calls). It is possible, but not easy, to get more.
David
David,
The MBUSA site shows Euro Delivery options at the same price as USA delivery. I believe that the 7% discount comes off only the base MSRP price.

A local dealer will throw in either the $1,200 Alps Package or give you the equivelant in a discount. He's still got a few thousand to work with.

BMW offers pretty much what Mercedes offers. However, BMW give you 30 days insurance instead of 15 but I don't think they give you taxi chits or a free nights lodging. Their touring packages are far more expensive than the Alps Package.

Picking the car up in Sindelfingen isn't so bad since there are about 11 drop off points in Europe (14 for BMW).

You do pay for the car as much as four months before you receive it. Since I pay cash for my cars and have no trade in, it doesn't matter to me.

It seems that if you are not leasing, have the time and don't mind a long plane ride, you would be silly not to do a Euro Delivery. You can do like one of our well know posters does and simply fly over, take delivery of the car, turn it in and fly home.

Or you could negotiate the Alps Package and take a nice vacation in the process. You can drop off your car at the hotel in Munich and spend a few extra days there before flying home.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:06 PM

'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
Maybe I wasn't clear. I have my order confirmation from ED and the 7% is across the board. $4130 off a $58,995 list.

If you add the items on the ED configurator, you will find it is adding them at the discounted price.

David
Old 06-18-2004, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally posted by DavidNJ
If you add the items on the ED configurator, you will find it is adding them at the discounted price.
David
Right you are David! I didn't catch that. You're also right about BMW.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:19 PM

2004 E500
To me, no matter how you cut it, Euro delivery is a great deal. True, there are some timing issues regarding the financing. But, with BMW and MB, you save money and get a chance to drive the car, legally, the way it was meant to be driven. Yeah, Stuttgart is not a prime vaccation destination. It used to be a pretty town but they overbuilt the Zentrum. But the A81 is a relatively uncongested autobahn, especially after Heilbronn, which can get you to some great destinations. The last time I did it, I even paid extra to pick up a car in Zuffenhausen. I returned it there so the factory could check it out and fix a couple of minor warranty items. The high speed train from Stuttgart to Frankfurt only took 1.5 hours and it was only a short walk from the train station to the United check-in. There was nothing to beat the thrill of driving a Porsche flat-out on the Autobahn and it was worth every penny of the extra cost. To get a discount on a BMW or MB would be even better.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:30 PM

A local dealer will throw in either the $1,200 Alps Package or give you the equivelant in a discount. He's still got a few thousand to work with..
Oh, and a note on the Alpine Package. Yes, they are all 5 star hotels. And with the possible exception of Kitzbuhel, they are also resorts. Designed to stay a week, in contrast with a late afternoon arrival and an early morning departure.

And $1200 for 4 nights is not cheap. You could easily get hotels on that route for $100-150 night. On a budget you could be uner $100/night.

And wouldn't you rather stay a night or two in Swangau or Fussen and see the castles?

The hotels or B&Bs you could schedule yourself may not be 5 star, however they may be more appropriate for a driving tour.

David
Old 06-19-2004, 12:22 AM

2004 E500
I agree with David. You could leave one hotel early in the morning, drive all day on the autobahn, and arrive at another hotel in the evening and it would be no different than spending a vacation on the Interstate. If you want a memorable German experience, get a good guidebook (Michelin and Lonely Planet are good but there are also several others) and a good map before you leave. Borders sells maps and guidebooks. You can also buy excellent maps in an airport bookstore or an autobahn gas station when you arrive. Stick to the secondary roads and stay in the many good family run hotels in the small towns and you will experience the real Germany and make some great friends. Go to www.flairhotel.com for a list of hotels all over Germany franchised by Flair. My favorite is the WinklerBrau between Nuremberg and Regensburg in a 350 year old brewery with a modern hotel added on and one of the best restaurants with the best beer in Germany. It's less than 100 euro per night for a double. If you are lucky, Herr Winkler will give you a tour of the brewery. It's been in his family for several hundred years. The Flair web site is in German but even if you don't speak German you should be able to figure it out and there will always be someone who speaks English if you call to make a reservation.