Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 03:16 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E500 Sport
NEED HELP: Problems with 03' E500

I just need some input from anyone who has the new E class
I have a CLK430 and love it! but my friend is willing to sell her 03' E500 sports w/ 19k for $42k flat I know that's a deal I can't pass but here's the prob.

Since she had the car last yr she's been experiencing constant probs with it, so its been in n out of the dealership. Problem like : Radio stop working/ Engine over heat sign comes up/ some Electronic malfunctions (which took 2 months to fix at dealship)/ recently the Battery lights comes up when she starts the car seems like there's no power going to battery engine starts shaking alil then the BRAKE LIGHTS comes on to say STOP! and some more.

All of them as been major probs that require the car to be tow to the dealership. Ok the service advisor guy said they have probs with 1st yr model. I understand that. So have you guys had the same experience? I really want ot get this car but my friend worn that she doesn't want me to keep on taking the car back in.

To me since the car is under warranty is no prob if the dealership is going to fix any problems that might come up.

But is this normal or is this one just having too much problems?
Old 06-18-2004, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
this is definately a good deal, but you need to make sure the car is OK. Did she have all these problems in the past, or is she stilll having to deal w/issues until now. I think most people (including myself) had to deal with small things going bad in the begining but are now enjoying trouble free driving. From the way you describe it, sounds like this is a car to stay away from. It is really a pain in the a** to keep going back to the dealer time after time for the same problem. I would ask her when and what the last thing that went wrong on the car was, and how long she's been driving w/o having to take it in for anything. Contact the service advisor she's been dealing with and ask if they recommend this as a car you should buy (if its been to the dealer that many times, I'm sure they willl remember it)...

GL
Old 06-18-2004, 03:27 PM

E500
i have 30k miles on mine and hardly any trouble at all,but i understand there are a few who have problems more than most, its a hard decision to make, since she is the original owner,i am surprised she has not asked for a replacemant or even pursued the lemon law, once you take it over, you will not have that protection, since it will be classed used, but it still should 2 yrs factory warranty, but its a tough decision, however the price is excellent

Last edited by redlands40; 06-18-2004 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes E500 Sport
So from the look of it This car is having alot more problems than usual for the 03' E, She's my best friend so I know all the probs that she had dealt with it just seems from the service advisor that they were having alot of problems with the first yr model but I've wonder if this car is a "lemon".

So it seems like these kinda problems arn't normal for this car with only 19k too.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:40 PM

E500
i have certainly not experienced any of the problems you list, maybe can help her get a replacement throught the lemon law, and then buy that one for 42k, now that would be the deal of the century
Old 06-18-2004, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
While it may be a "Good Deal" the car seems to be problem plagued. The price you quote is not chump change, so how much are you going to enjoy a car that apparently will be a "chronic offender"?

You will be bummed out more often than not, with the feeling that you live at the dealership, getting up early to drop it off & rushing home to pick it up. No matter HOW NICE the service people might be, no one feels good when they must make an "unscheduled" pit stop.

How will your friendship with your friend go after the deal is done. They will NEVER want to hear about your trips to the dealership. (I know when I sell one of my used cars they are always in mint condition, meticulously maintained, & I NEVER want to see the guy or the car again, let alone hear about problems!)

These are some of the things you must think about. A good price is only 1 part of the puzzle.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 06-18-2004 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
Originally posted by Barry45RPM

How will your friendship with your friend go after the deal is done. They will NEVER want to hear about your trips to the dealership.

Very sound advice.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:34 PM

2000 528BMW 5sp
tell her to file LEMON CASE

she should get her money back,
Old 06-19-2004, 11:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
Re: tell her to file LEMON CASE

Originally posted by jyg e500 maybe
she should get her money back,

With 19000 miles on it, she must have had a reasonable amount of use out of it. I think it would be a difficult argument to win.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:57 AM

E500
Re: Re: tell her to file LEMON CASE

Originally posted by Fastbuck
With 19000 miles on it, she must have had a reasonable amount of use out of it. I think it would be a difficult argument to win.
that should have nothing to do with it, it still falls under mfg warranty, and if she checks on how many times the same problem has occured,then she should be able to determin if the lemon law applies, if its been in the shop for more than six weeks of her owning it, and they have had numerous times to fix it, then these are all grounds for a refund or relacement.
i went through the same thing last year with the new ford 6.o diesel,after it broke down about six times,once on the second day i owned it, they finally aggreed to refund me. all you have to do is make the right noises in the right places, mb do not want angry customers, its not good for business, one angry customer can put a lot of people of their cars

fight fight fight
Old 06-19-2004, 04:21 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts
Check the date of manufacture, as the later the production in 03 MY the better the chance some of the TSB stuff was already done to your car at the factory.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:33 AM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Odds are most of the issues she was having are resolved. The MB E is still as fine an automobile you will ever drive, but,--- Spend a few thousand more, buy it from a dealer- Keep the friendship. It's a lot easier to dump the car then if it doesn't work out. Cars are all over the road, good friends are hard to find and harder to keep.... Just my .02
Old 06-21-2004, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Good advice. The new W211 is a gorgegous car, but as with every car, there's a lemon, and your friend car might be one.

I have had mine for 2 1/2 months, the car spent 30 days at dealer waiting for the command module to be replaced. Would I want my close friend to go through the same thing: NO.

Just because the car has problems and they're fixed doesn't mean it won't have any more problem. As the matter of fact, lemon car keep having problems, one after another.

For now, since you guys are closed friends, she shares every story w/ you, including stories about trips to dealers. Once you have bought her car, for God sake, if you have to stop by dealer a lot too, the conversation will be odd: she want to know, but can't ask. You want to her to know, but can't tell !!. Not to mention if you ever so pissed off about the car and explode in front of her, you'll loose her for good.

Dealer warranty repair is only part of the problem. Don't forget that it's apointment with dealer, trips to dealers, problem not fixed on first place, driving rental car .... These things can mess up your life pretty badly.

Couple $K in saving is not worth a friendship.

Originally posted by marksatex
Odds are most of the issues she was having are resolved. The MB E is still as fine an automobile you will ever drive, but,--- Spend a few thousand more, buy it from a dealer- Keep the friendship. It's a lot easier to dump the car then if it doesn't work out. Cars are all over the road, good friends are hard to find and harder to keep.... Just my .02

Last edited by zam2000; 06-21-2004 at 06:29 PM.