E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Airmatic problems...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
Unhappy Airmatic problems...

I just dropped my car at the dealership; I had an Airmatic Visit Workshop malfunction. My dealer said some parts might need replacing and he'll get back to me ASAP. I hope its nothing too serious, has anyone else had this problem??? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
hope this isnt related, but here is a post about lowering airmatic, and rusnank i believe said your dealer cant do it(legal issues)

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=73314

GL with the turnout though.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:36 PM

E500
Hi,

When you say "dropped", do you mean drop off the vehicle at service or lowering airmatic?

If the airmatic fail by nature cause, you don't have to worry about it. It will be under warranty service.

As far as I know if the airmatic be modififed, the tech might refuse warranty service.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:59 PM

2004 E500
Is there a warranty issue with Brabus or Carlssohn lowering?
Old 06-21-2004, 03:36 PM
Almost a Member!

My car has been in the shop 3 times for airmatic suspension. The first time - just like what you describe, warning from the cluster (Blue and red warning), it turned out the ride height sensor was malfunction. The second time - without any warning and the rear of the car dropped all the way on the ground after parked overnight and then the car will raise back to normal after you opened the door, they need to replace the air strut. After 2 days of new strut, the situation was getting worst. The strut failed when I was driving and I felt the car was dancing on the road (The air pump was working so hard to try to bring the car back to normal height and then drop right a way). The dealership has to replace the strut again and everything is working since then. (Knock on wood)

Lenny
Old 06-21-2004, 05:58 PM

E500
Originally posted by rusnakmb
Hi,

When you say "dropped", do you mean drop off the vehicle at service or lowering airmatic?

I meant I took it to my dealer. My car hasn't been lowered. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Originally posted by lennylam
My car has been in the shop 3 times for airmatic suspension. The first time - just like what you describe, warning from the cluster (Blue and red warning), it turned out the ride height sensor was malfunction. The second time - without any warning and the rear of the car dropped all the way on the ground after parked overnight and then the car will raise back to normal after you opened the door, they need to replace the air strut. After 2 days of new strut, the situation was getting worst. The strut failed when I was driving and I felt the car was dancing on the road (The air pump was working so hard to try to bring the car back to normal height and then drop right a way). The dealership has to replace the strut again and everything is working since then. (Knock on wood)

I only got the warning in the instrument cluster and I took it in the following day. It came on just after washing my car so I initially thought water had messed up the electronics and it would go away after a while. Thank God I took it in on time, I would have been more scared if the rear dropped all the way overnight

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll have more info on this tomorrow
Old 06-21-2004, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Originally posted by slytoksy
I meant I took it to my dealer. My car hasn't been lowered. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

o sorry, it wasnt your fault, i totally misread your post, lol, i kinda feel dumb because after reading now, i get it:p

hope it all works out well, GL
Old 06-21-2004, 06:51 PM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Hi

Must admit that if I keep my car past the 3 year warranty the airmatic is the thing that worries me. Bet it will be expensive to repair. Wonder what experience they have had on the S class as i think it started out on that car.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
Most likely, if something that serious fails, MB will cover it. If your trim pops off, probably not. BMW and Porsche are known for doing that for random, uncommon and dangerous failures.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by lennylam

Lenny
Was it always the rear struts that failed? Can you elaborate the feeling of how the car felt like it was dancing???
Old 06-22-2004, 02:06 AM
Almost a Member!

I don't think the rear air strut will always fail. But I think I am not the only one having this kind of the problem.

Luckily I was 1 minute away from my house and I drove slow at the time the rear strut failed. Since only right side of the air strut failed, so I felt the car was pulling right and then back to normal. (back and forth). So I finally stopped to check what's going on. The right side of car was half way from the bottom (The tire sidewall was totally inside fender) and the plastic inside wheel well got totally knock out. So finally I drove very slow to get back home.

Lenny
Old 06-22-2004, 12:45 PM

E500
Just back from the dealer, it wasn't as serious as I thought it was. A leaking pipe had to be replaced(part no. MA211 328 00 89) and everything is now back to normal. I also got the software update for the SBC system and the COMMAND(to enable MP3 playback).

Thanks
Old 06-23-2004, 03:59 PM
Almost a Member!

04 E55 tectite grey/charcol....traded 01 E55
I had the same problem with my front struts. When I parked the car the front wheels would lower so the wheel was under the fender. I also noticed the front of the car would lower and raise when stopped at traffic lights. The dealer said the airmatic suspension was "leaking" and the front struts had to be replaced. All fixed under warrenty. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:49 PM

E500
When i turn my car of at night, i here a hissing noise like air being released, is this normal ?
Old 06-23-2004, 04:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
Originally posted by redlands40
When i turn my car of at night, i here a hissing noise like air being released, is this normal ?

Yes, it's just your jealous neighbours!!!
Old 06-23-2004, 04:59 PM

E500
you could be right, i will check it out

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Originally posted by Fastbuck
Yes, it's just your jealous neighbours!!!
LOL, very good
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
Originally posted by redlands40
yes. watch your hood, you will notice that it is lowering.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:00 PM

E500
Originally posted by Brav
yes. watch your hood, you will notice that it is lowering.

so its normal, ok good thanks for the reply