Sponsored by:

Beware: Cars with Lowered AIRMATIC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 01:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beware: Cars with Lowered AIRMATIC

I was at my local dealer waiting for my car to be released from service (had a due bill) when I saw my friend who works as a tech in the back.

He asked me to walk with him to the service bays where he showed me a W211 E500 he was working on. The car was on the ground - and I mean ON THE GROUND! The side skirts were sitting a few inches from the ground.

So I asked what was up with this car (only 4,280 miles), and he said that it has an AIRMATIC failure and he advised that it will NOT be covered under warranty.

I was in shock, then I asked "really? what's the problem?"

He said that the car had been there for 2 days and the trouble was originating from the front suspension. They were going to replace the front suspension units under warranty when they discovered WASHERS in the ride height sensor links.

Unfortunately, a regional rep from MBUSA was onsite watching him by his workbay when the front suspension was pulled apart. The rep was interested to know what caused the failure.

The MBUSA rep immediately flagged it on the RO as "suspension warranty void" after discovering the washers.

Now rumor has it that a bulletin is to be released from MBUSA to all dealers where the suspension warranty will be automatically voided if they find non-authorized washers on any car equipped with electronic suspension.

I am crossing my fingers. I wonder if this also applies to lowering modules.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:20 AM
Banned

Time to do it electonically... who uses washers anyways?
Old 06-19-2004, 03:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Washers

Mr e-fivehundred:
Originally posted by e-fivehundred
Time to do it electonically... who uses washers anyways?
You'd be surprised....

Wiedermann
Old 06-19-2004, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
wow, that really sucks, hope the poor guy gets through it all well. airmatic must be real expensive
Old 06-19-2004, 03:23 PM

E500
well....

I have posted under E500 W211 section that modification to airmatic will void the factory warranty. This is just a perfect example.

I have been "attacked"those who think modification will not void warranty. Now, read it for yourself.

Modification is definitely ok, but only happen when you remove the modification before service.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:29 PM

2016 GLC300 sport
Originally posted by rusnakmb

Modification is definitely ok, but only happen when you remove the modification before service.
which is misleading and illegal...and I would do it if my airmatic failed.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:53 PM

E500
what are you talking about?

It is your own car and you owned it. You can do what ever you want, but if the warranty were void. TOO BAD. You pay for it.

On the other post that someone mention that MB tech does not do the lowering job for clients, and that is a bad customers service.

NOW.

If the tech does perform the lowering for client, I am sure his *** will be on fire. I am sure htat customer will made the MB tech pay for his airmatic repair.

What is misleading and illegal? I told people modification will void the warranty. It that consider misleading? That was only a suggestion for those who does modification to their vehicles. It is a personal opinion, and does a personal opinion make it illegal?
Old 06-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Banned

Gotta do it the Carlsson or the Brabus way. From what I've heard, they will go all out to help you as long as you have had it professionally installed by one of their partners. Anyone get these lowering modules?
Old 06-19-2004, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
thats BS.. how could a sensor make the whole system fail. he must have really dropped it. an E55 has an inherently lower suspension, but same bananas. One time I walked out to my car and the whole damn car was tilted to the left as you look at the trunk... wtf. I got a tape, and the entire left side was an equal 1.5" lower than the right.. probably a semi-failure or software glitch. after 3 days (looking at it in same spot) it went back. i have zero mods.

most likely just a coinsidence or the washers just brought about an inevitable problem sooner. but who knows..
Old 06-19-2004, 04:40 PM

2016 GLC300 sport
Originally posted by rusnakmb
what are you talking about?

It is your own car and you owned it. You can do what ever you want, but if the warranty were void. TOO BAD. You pay for it.

On the other post that someone mention that MB tech does not do the lowering job for clients, and that is a bad customers service.

NOW.

If the tech does perform the lowering for client, I am sure his *** will be on fire. I am sure htat customer will made the MB tech pay for his airmatic repair.

What is misleading and illegal? I told people modification will void the warranty. It that consider misleading? That was only a suggestion for those who does modification to their vehicles. It is a personal opinion, and does a personal opinion make it illegal?
What I interpreted you to say is that the modification is OK, but if it causes your system to fail, remove it and then take it in for service....which is misleading to the dealership and manufacturer and it is illegal aka Fraud.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
I had my suspension fail at 5K miles. Backend was on the ground but still drivable...there was a leak in the system. Convered under warranty. I didn't have any mods nor have any suspension mods today.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:50 PM
I1 ULOOZ

that really sux
Old 06-22-2004, 05:51 PM
Guest0001

Originally posted by e55 baller
I had my suspension fail at 5K miles. Backend was on the ground but still drivable...there was a leak in the system. Convered under warranty. I didn't have any mods nor have any suspension mods today.
While driving or when you started the car?
Old 06-22-2004, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
The washer deal is really bad. By placing the washer below the bolt that locks down the sensor arm it forces the car to think it should be lower. The problem is that the bolt is not flush due to the washer and it will become loose over time and once it breaks free the sensor arm is gone and so is the suspension.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Vic55
The washer deal is really bad. By placing the washer below the bolt that locks down the sensor arm it forces the car to think it should be lower. The problem is that the bolt is not flush due to the washer and it will become loose over time and once it breaks free the sensor arm is gone and so is the suspension.
So failure is from it coming apart, not from being a few mm lower..
Old 06-22-2004, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Originally posted by e-fivehundred
Gotta do it the Carlsson or the Brabus way. From what I've heard, they will go all out to help you as long as you have had it professionally installed by one of their partners. Anyone get these lowering modules?
We have the same module available for much less. All the tuners use the same module as we have, we just sourced it direct from Germany and kept the big tuner name off of it!

Anyone interested, let us know.

Thanks

Brad
Old 06-22-2004, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by otoupalik
We have the same module available for much less. All the tuners use the same module as we have, we just sourced it direct from Germany and kept the big tuner name off of it!

Anyone interested, let us know.

Thanks

Brad
Who's "WE" ?

I'm interested.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
Originally posted by dgussin1
which is misleading and illegal...and I would do it if my airmatic failed.
couldn't agree with you more. It is misleading but big deal. Take the damn washers off and take it in for service. If it means saving a couple hundred or a couple thousand bucks and then im sure more people will do the same.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:50 PM

E500
Haaaaa

Now, we know who the real devil is

Just don't lower the airmatic. Simple. If you do, take the chance if you want.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As I mentioned earlier, if the whole system fails because the sensors were moved, thats horsesh*t. System was destined to fail. But if the senser falls off or is damaged (my mod), another issue.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by Brav
Who's "WE" ?

I'm interested.

We is Evosport.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally posted by Brav
So failure is from it coming apart, not from being a few mm lower..
Yes you are correct, I was a friends shop the other day and an E500 was on the rack lowered with the washers. My friend was fixing it because he found out it was lowered with washers and he can lower thru his contact at the dealer. He showed me how the washers work and how they can come loose. The driver's side bolt was only hand tight and if it came off-- that side would have dropped. Thats some scary stuff. :o :o
Old 06-23-2004, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Washers!!

I have some "washers" in my toolbox in my garage in case anyone wants to "lower" his car

Cheers!

Wiedermann
Old 06-23-2004, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
We are lowering a couple of customer cars on Friday. I'll take detailed pics of screens etc so you can take them to your local MB dealer, if they will co-operate and have the car lowered by the factory. This is the process AMG provides in Germany, referred to as ride height optimisation, which they charge an arm and a leg for.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Does lowering your car endanger it at high speeds? I know that the E55 lowers itself a few cm's at 75mph (thus negating the need for a rear spoiler), would that be too low if you lower it further?

I'm interested too Stephen. Can't wait for the pics.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Beware: Cars with Lowered AIRMATIC