Drive Shaft Flex-Disc "Giubo"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 02:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500 4Matic w211
Drive Shaft Flex-Disc "Giubo"

April 01, 2019

Hello, just wanted to post this hopefully it will help someone. I have a 2004 E500 4Matic, and was having an issue when turning to the right or left, trying to park Causing a slight vibration in the steering wheel and hearing a clicking sound coming from the rear side. First I assumed it was my rear CV Axles (CV Joint), did a search to seeing how much the unit cost. Comes to find out it was rather difficult to manage and purchase the rear cv joint for the vehicle.. Even the auto parts store didn't even carry it. Have to directly order from dealer, which was like around $500-$750 per side.
Before I proceeded any further on discourage wasn't able to purchase the rear cv joint due to the cost unless from the dealer. I jack up the entire vehicle using (3) Jack's, one in front under the engine mount and the other two Jack's on the rear side passenger door. And once up above ground, I use (2) Jack Stand for the front side. Make sure all (4) tires are off the ground. Afterward started the vehicle and slowly shift the gear to (D) and without stepping on the gas, slowly turning the steering wheel left and right. That's when I finally noticed where the clicking noise was coming from. It wasn't the rear CV Axle, which was a relief.

The clicking noise was coming from the center of vehicle which was near the Transfer Case unit. Therefore I replaced the Transfer Case Fluid ATF134, which I purchased (2) Qtz.
Though to change the Transfer Case Fluid, you will need to remove the Flex-Disc from the Drive Shaft, to able to get to the Fill Plug. Seeing I removed the Flex Disc, which wasn't damaged but slightly worn and noticeable crack on rubber.
Decided replacing it as well, seeing I've already removed. I purchase online for around $110, from FCPEuro.com which didn't take but a few days to arrive. The task was not difficult at all to do yourself and not long either just need to have the correct tools which can be purchased at the part store if needed.
So to finalize this, after completing the task, I test drive the vehicle, and I was totally impressed it worked, felt like a new vehicle firm on the shifting from each gear and especially the noise was gone and the vibration went away not matter how sharp turn I took slowly. It was worth the money and only costed nor more then $160, for parts the Flex-Disc and ATF134.

I hope this has helped someone out there encounter this issue, and if you have questions don't hesitate to asks messages me of need help....on how I removed or the fluid change...this is my first time, posting here, just wanted to help out....so if I missed some info let me know....

Thanks.

S. Tam

Last edited by Tamseng6864; 04-01-2019 at 02:04 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 715 Likes on 696 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W211 forum...
Old 04-01-2019, 11:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E270 cdi 2004

Thanks for the write up. There are visible cracks on flex disk of my E270 cdi. I can feel the vibration in cabin, is it due to this disk?
Old 04-01-2019, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 333 Posts
C320
Originally Posted by Tamseng6864
. Have to directly order from dealer, which was like around $500-$750 per side.
Ah you discovered the hidden 4matic tax. No aftermarket support so the dealer can make you bend over and spell RUN. Same goes for 4matic front end suspension parts.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500 4Matic w211
Azeem: (Flex Disc Issue)

Originally Posted by Azeem

Thanks for the write up. There are visible cracks on flex disk of my E270 cdi. I can feel the vibration in cabin, is it due to this disk?
Hi Azeem,

Was going to reply last night for you but encounter with an issue using my phone, just had difficult allowing me to type out the message to you. But anyways "I can't actually say that if after replacing the "Flex Disc", will resolve the issue for you! unless I was there to see the vehicle. But I can definitely say, if you're having the same symptom as mine vehicle in which I indicated. Then yes absolutely, will solve the matter for you and not only that you will see the result afterwards. But if you're planning on taking on the task, you should definitely consider having the "Transfer Case Fluid" change. Once you have the Flex Disc, removed then you will have access to the fill plug. But then again perhaps your might be different, on my 2004 E500 4Matic was on top and not able to fill unless the Flex Disc was removed. You will need a T-65 to remove the bolts on the Flex Disc and have something to support the Transmission as well. I only replaced the front though will planned replacing the rear as well already have the part, the front Flex Disc and the rear as the same. Well, best of luck the task isn't actually difficult which I was surprised after finished should take a few hours if you were doing by yourself. Encounter with something drop me a message...
Old 04-02-2019, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Any cracks on the flex disk that you can stick your fingernail in calls for immediate replacement.
When the disk could still work for a while, when it breaks - there is huge potential for additional expenses.
Now when you own 10 yo 4-Matic and factory axles, keep close eye on front CV joints boot.
Boots are cheap (ca $100) but when one breaks and you let dirt to enter, new axle is $1300.
There are Chinese axles very cheap, but you get what you paid for.
Your choice.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E270 cdi 2004
Thanks both of you for your valuable input as always.