E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

WTF is up with that Star emblem? How do I remove it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF is up with that Star emblem? How do I remove it?

OK, after looking in the hood of my car, I have ascertained that the stupid Star thing is purely cosmetic. The car is unmistakeably an Mercedes, so the star in unnecessary. I assume also that since it increased the aerodynamic profile, it hurts both my mileage and performance. Moreover, since it is taller because of the stupid star, I am sure that has a higher observable radar profile, resulting in a more substantial radar signature. Not good since I speed a lot and need all the help I can get.

Is there any way to hammer it flat or remove and not damage the finish? How have any of you been able to get rid of your star, I have opened the hood and noticed that its kinda mounted weird on some spring like device, how have all you people been able to remove yours?
Old 06-28-2004, 10:38 AM

2008 ML350 4matic
One whack with a 20 lb sledge should do it.

Please post pics after. GL!
Old 06-28-2004, 11:02 AM

In 1897, Austrian businessman Emil Jellinek, travelled from his home in Nice, France to purchase a car from the Daimler factory in Cannstatt, Germany. On his return to the French Riviera, his sporting Daimler Phoenix caused such a sensation that he decided to enter it into a local touring competition, under the name of "Mercedes" after his favourite 9 year old daughter. Realising the business potential for the new car, he not only placed an order for 36 more, but also secured the franchise for selling them in several countries. Gottlieb Daimler also agreed to having them sold under the name of "Mercedes."
The Mercedes trade name was registered after Daimler's death in 1900 and the 3-pointed star became the trade mark. Daimler had once drawn the emblem on a postcard to his wife, the star symbolising the growth of the business into transport on land, sea and air.
For Karl Benz, a name for his automobile was simple: he enclosed his name in a cogwheel to exemplify the solidness of his engineering works at Mannheim. The cogwheel later became a laurel wreath.
After the First World War the Daimler and Benz companies worked closer together, generally advertising on the same posters. They amalgamated in 1926, combining the laurel wreath and 3-pointed star as their trade mark.
Interestingly, although Gottlieb Daimler and Karl Benz were two of the major pioneers in the automotive industry, they probably never met, even though they lived only 100km (60 miles) from each other in Germany. Daimler passed away in 1900. Daimler-Benz amalgamated in 1926.

Old 06-28-2004, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
It is quite easy to remove. Just put pliers on the two metal wing like things and turn counter clock wise 1/4 turn...the entire assembly will come out through the top of the hood. PUT A TOWEL AROUND THE STAR SO IT DOES NOT FALL ON THE HOOD AND DO ANY DAMAGE.

You can buy a Flat Emblem from Jerry at www.formymercedes.com for about $24 and it installs as easy as the old one comes out.

Hope your milage improves...
Old 06-28-2004, 11:39 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
You give the two flanges on the bottom part of the tristar assembly a twist (preferably with pliers) while holding the tristar itself with your hand. It should loosen so that you can pull it out from the top. You will then have a nice hole in your hood. Most people choose to fill the hole with a flat tristar badge, as seen on non-sedan M-B models. You can buy a flat badge, with mounting bracket, from various online M-B parts vendors, or maybe even your friendly local M-B dealer. The mounting bracket on the badge I got wasn't long enough, and I ended up kludging my own mounting bracket from some bar stock I had in the garage.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
Hey Marv you are definitely entitled to your opinion and doing whatever you please to your car but personally I like the Star. It denotes motoring heritage and style unique to MB. I gather you are more interested in drag coefficients and low radar signature. Bad news...Both will not improve with debadging. Further more your abrasive tone is interesting. Why buy such a car in the first place. I am sure you could have sprung for BMW or Audi and not had to worry about the issues you posted.
Marv Happy Motoring!
Regards,

jay
Old 06-28-2004, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
I agree with saffron. Some of us may like it on. Don't be bashing your earned Mercedes. It's only a star. If you don't like it, then remove it without complaining.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Originally Posted by miamigrrl
One whack with a 20 lb sledge should do it.

Please post pics after. GL!
Sorry to get off topic but jus wanted to say that you ahve nice taste in cars. I looked at your sig and it reminded me of my A6 before drivin this beast.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:28 PM

2008 ML350 4matic
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Sorry to get off topic but jus wanted to say that you ahve nice taste in cars. I looked at your sig and it reminded me of my A6 before drivin this beast.
Thanks! Love the A6! To me it felt like it had alot of "soul". I would've liked to keep it and put $$$ into modding it, but when I started thinking of the maintenance costs and extended warranty issues I decided against it. Sadly, I have to turn it in next month.

The E500 is a completely different animal. The V8 is a nice change of pace. The E seems to be bipolar - it's a luxo cruiser but can be a beast when you command it (As I found out over the weekend when I shut off ESP and fish-tailed out of a turn :v)
Old 06-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Originally Posted by miamigrrl
Thanks! Love the A6! To me it felt like it had alot of "soul". I would've liked to keep it and put $$$ into modding it, but when I started thinking of the maintenance costs and extended warranty issues I decided against it. Sadly, I have to turn it in next month.

The E500 is a completely different animal. The V8 is a nice change of pace. The E seems to be bipolar - it's a luxo cruiser but can be a beast when you command it (As I found out over the weekend when I shut off ESP and fish-tailed out of a turn :v)
We need more "girls" like you in this world The only things I had on the audi were 19" sportec's with a drop, H-Sport sways (First set), and a system. Kept it simple...but it was indeed a very nice car...