E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2007 Front Airmatic Issues

Old 05-10-2019, 11:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2000 E320, 1997 E420, 2007 E550, 2009 E350
2007 Front Airmatic Issues

I have a 2007 E550 with Airmatic Suspension. My front struts have been leaking down each night, first it was only the right side and it has progressively gotten worse so that now, over the course of the last two months, both sides leak down completely (-55 mm level according to SDS). It hasn't been a terrible problem because when I started the car in the morning it raised up in about 90 seconds. I was only driving it locally and even went on a few 60 mile round trip drives and the front would stay up. The back didn't seem to be affected at all. I started troubleshooting starting with the top of each strut and working all the way to the trunk using leak detection fluid and found nothing. So I decided to check the actual shocks and the valve block. When I started to jack up the car from the front jack point, I heard a "whoosh" from both struts. I raised the jack another pump and heard the same thing with each additional pump. SDS showed that the struts had no pressure. I tried ti fill them before lowering the car but they would not hold air at all. I lowered the car until the wheels barely touched the ground and tried again and the left shock shows 3.2 bar but the right one bleeds down immediately. Any ideas on why simply jacking up the car would cause this??