Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W211)
Drivers power seat control module questions and issues >

Drivers power seat control module questions and issues

Notices
E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Old 05-10-2019, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E500 4Matic Wagon Avantgarde

I have a 2005 E500 4Matic wagon which has the Avantgarde package with heated seats and the dynamic seat option. Having some issues with the driver power seat not operating. I was guessing that it was likely going to be the seat control module because I could hear the faint click of what I assume is a relay from within the module when I attempted to adjust the steering wheel or seat. I could also feel the click when I placed my fingers on the body of the module, which confirmed it's source.

I was able to source another module for cheap locally as a quick easy gamble. I haven't had a chance to get outside and attempt swapping it out. The part number from my control module is 211 870 05 26. The part I picked up from local salvage yard is 211 820 85 85, which I believe came from a 2005 E320. Are these modules interchangable? If not, I can source another. I grabbed this one because it was so convenient. Confirmed working when removed as well.

Unfortunately, I'm tall and the seat is moved a little far back with the rear of the cushion tilted down in the back. That means I have zero chance of access to the two rear mounting screws of the seat. I'm dying to take it out and do some testing, but can't figure out a way to remove the seat without access to these rear fasteners. Anyone have any clever ideas on how to do this?

I can only test two things right now. I removed the power connection from the module and can confirm there is 12VDC power to it. Also, I have the iCarsoft MBII diagnostic tool. The passenger seat control module shows up in the diagnostic tool, but the drivers does not. Also, my "relay clicking sound" is gone now from the driver seat control module. Does anyone have any insight or ideas for this with the given information?

Could this be just a CAN Bus communication error and the module is still working? Are there any other things I can check? The switch is not the issue, I actually had a spare laying around, and the memory buttons still function which is confirmed by my mirrors still adjusting. All fuses are still good. I'm out of ideas and at the moment, I'm the only one who could drive the car due to it's adjusted distance for my long legs. Is the passenger seat control module able to be swapped to the drivers seat for process of elimination troubleshooting?

Thanks for your time.