E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2009 ESP Module - Help w/ STAR/DAS & location

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 CLS550, 1987 190DT
2009 ESP Module - Help w/ STAR/DAS & location

I have an intermittent issue: "ESP inoperative" randomly comes up on the dash. Sometimes 2-3 times in a 10 minute period, sometimes once every 2-3 weeks. Each time, I can simply cycle the ignition and all is back to normal.

I finally got around to connecting my STAR setup to the car and... well.. what is the "ESP" module located under? SBC? I am generally pretty familiar with STAR - have even transfered coding between modules on a few ocasions.. but I feel really stupid here - luckily this is my own car! I have gone into the transmission module and shift selector module.. The shift selector module has errors for both rear speed sensors.. but also shows general CAN bus error for the "ESP" module itself. Again... where is the ESP?!?! Drive? Body? Chassis? I have dug through all and absolutely cannot find it. If the module was simply faulty, it would still show up under STAR - you just would not be able to communicate with it.

Additionally, I have connected my Autel scanner to the car (actually works just as good for reading/clearing codes as STAR) and even under the Autel, I cannot find a dedicated "ESP" module. This leads me to believe the "ESP" function on the w211 is shared by another module. So anyone have an idea what other module shares the ESP function?

I either got a bad sensor that shares the CAN bus with the ESP, or the ESP itself acting up....
Old 06-20-2019, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 e500
ABS/SBC module
Old 06-20-2019, 11:08 PM

Received 246 Likes on 168 Posts
W203 W212 W211 R53MCS
If you do a quick test with DAS, you should see it as ELectronic stability program. If it’s not communicating you should see an exclamation sign instead of the check mark