Confusion with Keyless Go on my 05 E500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes Benz E500
Question Confusion with Keyless Go on my 05 E500

Hello all,

I have a 2005 E500, and I am confused on the whole Keyless Entry / Keyless Go. Upon purchasing the car, the owner only had one key at the time(Regular MB key with chrome on the outsides) months down the line they found the second key(ALL black, it's shaped and looks different than the main key). On the driver door handle I only the tiny little black square, I do not have the larger transparent square near the middle of the handle. After reading lots of forums and articles, everyone was giving different answers and asking different questions. The main reason I am looking into all of this is to see if I can buy an MB Push to start button for my car, as I would like that feature, but being as it's an 05 it does not come with the car. I believe I HAVE to have the Keyless Go feature in order for the Push to Start button to work?

What classifies an MB car as having Keyless Go, and what is the different between Keyless Start, Keyless Go, and Keyless Entry?

Sorry if these are all noob questions, I for some reason am just very confused.

Will post VIN# if requested

Thanks all!
Old 07-17-2019, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 772 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Go here, enter your VIN, and you will see the data card for your vehicle. If you have Keyless-Go, it will be listed with Code 889. If so, your push-to-start button is on the top of the shifter. It has happened to another on this forum before that a previous owner capped off the start/stop button.

https://www.datamb.com/
Old 07-18-2019, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,502 Likes on 1,173 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Our guess is that you don't have it. The removable button was for the W212 and yours is a W211. If you had it, it would have been a button on top of the shifter. That's a very hard button to hide as it was the facelift that had a circular button for keyless go. The earlier models was a rectangular shifter and a square button in the center if you had keyless go. It was also a rare option for 2005 so my guess is that you don't have it. On the door handle, if you had keyless go, you'd have a button you could press to lock the car and there'd be another switch behind the handle when you open it that would unlock the door.

There were two styles of keys, the black one was the original one, but you could order a replacement and I think you could get it in the chrome case or move the innards from the black key to the newer style chrome key. The older MB's only had keyless go. I think Keyless entry is just having a fob, pretty much any car has that. Keyless start means you just press the button to start the car, but that's for newer models and it's a way to put in the feature at a cheaper cost, was never an option on the W211. Keyless go has sensors in all 4 door handles to lock and unlock the doors. Also locks/unlocks the trunk and gas cover. With keyless start in some of the cheaper newer models, they save money on the door handles and other external equipment and just have to sense the key for the start/stop function.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes Benz E500
Thank you for your information! After making the post, and reading a little bit more on it, I came to the conclusion that I did not have it. I kind of expected that all along, but just hoped that I did! Thank you again for your reply!
Old 07-22-2019, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,391 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
There is lot of confusion between "keyless entry" and "Keyless go" so takes some reading to figure it out.
Keyless go is more than just the start button. It also have locking/unlocking by touching door handles. Than technology changes from year to year and when it comes to options, I never take anything for granted.