Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
Conductor plate needs to be replaced my Machanic say

Hello
I have 2003 E500 stopped up
Switching stuck in first gear. Machanic says I need a new conductor plate which will run me $1100. Same garage that just Replaced both my tie rod end- front outer and left outer and replaced my control arm front right upper which didn’t include my four wheel alignment which hit me for $1500. Which I originally took it for Service E and break light. I asked them to check out a noice it was making when I slowed down which turn out to be a loose bearing. Anyways sorry Ik I’m just going on and on. I just ordered an i980 to diagnose the car myself tomorrow to confirm there quote: I read a couple forums and some people said it literally could be something as simple as the diagnosis or battery. Any ideas of what steps I can try be for spending that $1500 oh and check engine light came on when it started limp mode
Old 08-02-2019, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 412 Likes on 343 Posts
C320
Your car is stuck in limp home mode. Do you have a 722.6 or 722.9 transmission? Conductor plate can indeed cause limp home mode but so can an ATF leak in the wiring harness, low oil or a weak battery. The i980 can read the trans codes and clear them. If it's just a temporary problem clearing the codes will pop the transmission out of limp home mode. So just wait til it arrives and report back after you read and clear the codes. Don't jump the gun on the conductor plate.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:34 PM

300 E
if it is an early model of the 722.9 there are a multitude of repair services as the VGS1 trans requires changing of the valvebody and conductor plate. I had the repair service done on my C230 and it was running perfectly 65k later when rear ended.and totaled. it turns out the replacement i got had the VGS Nag1 system so I shopped around online and got a valvebody that was VGS2 NAG3 with 19k miles on it,then found an outfit in California that got me a factory new TCM conductor plate for around another 400.00 I had to fie extensive paperwork proving ownership to MB the flashed my VIN to it and I did the rest with my personal STAR system.Labor is as simple as dropping the trans pan ,a few more bolts to drop the valve body ,remove the 8 solonoids keeping them in exact order for reassembly and putting to back together. You do have to fill the trans through the drain plug ,use the good stuff,Pentosin for whatever trans you have,you will save a ton of dough online.The newer valvebody and conductor plates are bulletproof in my opinion,the issue no longer exists that i have heard of. Hope that Helps
Old 08-05-2019, 11:56 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
fleet
check tran fluid if you can would be a good place to start
Old 08-07-2019, 09:23 PM

C230 2006
Did you use conductor plate repair service for a 722.9? I have a C230 2006 too and have a P0798 code
Old 11-13-2019, 01:28 PM

300 E
I have used a repair service on my 07 C230 & replaced VB and plate on 06 E350

Repaired the 07 C230 with a service at 140k miles,was still working perfectly at 202k miles when rear ended and totalled. on my 06 E350 it was equipped with a Nag 1 valve body on which the TCMs are not repairable. I bought a factory new plate and a vNAG 3 valve body off a 2013 benz , programmed the TCM and cleared code with my DAS/STAR system. The newer TCMs do not suffer with the problem. Every 04 to 07 Benz I have been around eventually suffered from the failure.If you DIY make sure and drain the oil from the torque converter as well and best to buy a quality service kit which comes with new pan bolts, you need to get new valve body bolts as well , they are all aluminum " one time use bolts only". Dont reuse these,use a quality torque wrench and follow instructions to the letter. Filling the trans is done through the drain plug and also an exact process,failure to do any step properly will cost you big bucks, not trying to scare you off, these cars are very exactly designed and must be serviced exactly. Vegas..

Originally Posted by Carlos Enrique
Did you use conductor plate repair service for a 722.9? I have a C230 2006 too and have a P0798 code
Old 02-26-2020, 06:57 PM

07 E550
Are you saying they are interchangeable between the early NGS1 and NGS2/NGS3? so If I find an E-bay NGS2/3 and have it repaired. then I can swap them, and have it VIN coded so my trans will work with less down time?

I'm asking since I have an 07 E550 that is getting random hard downshifts, and speed sensor codes. I want to have limited downtime, and if I can put the newer valvebody, and conductor plate in that would be awesome.

Thanks,
Scott.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:02 PM

300 E
Conductor Plate

Originally Posted by HKShooter
Are you saying they are interchangeable between the early NGS1 and NGS2/NGS3? so If I find an E-bay NGS2/3 and have it repaired. then I can swap them, and have it VIN coded so my trans will work with less down time?

I'm asking since I have an 07 E550 that is getting random hard downshifts, and speed sensor codes. I want to have limited downtime, and if I can put the newer valvebody, and conductor plate in that would be awesome.

Thanks,
Scott.
Not exactly, what I am saying is the TCM (conductor plate) on the VGS1 valvebody cannot be sent to a board repair service, it must be replaced. On the VGS 2/3 Depending on the error code many times the TCM can repaired. If your not stuck in 2nd gear (limp mode) there is a good chance you maybe have a bad sensor solenoid. If you do go for the new VGS2/3 Valve body you will need a virgin or used virginised TCM to be coded with your VIN number or it will not function its an anti theft thing. I spent 300.00for my valve body VGS3 from Ebay , you need the number from your trans to make sure it's the right series, mine had 34k miles , I bought a factory new TCM for another 400 from a guy in Sun Valley,Ca. And also bought a STAR diagnostic benz unit complete with a Dell laptop that the STAR program needs to work all preloaded with software keys . It sounds like if it's a shifting issue it might just be a solonoid thing, drop the valve body,swap out all 8 solonoids,put outback in, use Pentosin fluid and fill through the drain plug per directions, hope this helped. Vegas
Old 02-28-2020, 10:20 AM

'07 E550
That helps a lot. I thought with a STAR you can virginize a TCM if that isn't the case I may just look for a one that is virgin, and go from there. I was hoping to get the solenoids replaced, which is why I was considering a complete Valvebody+ conductor plate (TCM) from e-bay. I'm getting actual speed sensor fault codes, but very random. I've heard that on the early 722.9 the speed sensors do tend to go out. I have 130K on this car now, but would love to keep it around for another 130K.

Thanks again,

Scott.
This is HKShooter as well I guess i have 2 separate account here

Last edited by HKP7Shot; 02-28-2020 at 10:22 AM. Reason: adding