E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Help..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 A211 E500
Help..

Hi I have a w211 MBenz e500 2003 and I have something draining my battery. Aux. Battery is good , trunk is locked so can't check main battery but believe it's good . Not very old and tried removing electric seat modules and nothing changed. When I start it and drive a good 80 miles or so it's start up every time for like 4 days. I found something very strange and this is my question. Would any one know what reason the cigarette lighterr ports front and back when I put a USB adapter in them to charge my Android phone took my phone from 19% battery charge to 2%0in a matter of ten minutes. It was flashing on the phone as though it was charging and instead ended up running the battery down to almost nothing . Is this an indicator of anything common . Please let me know . Thank
Old 08-24-2019, 11:14 AM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by penny brown
Hi I have a w211 MBenz e500 2003 and I have something draining my battery. Aux. Battery is good , trunk is locked so can't check main battery but believe it's good . Not very old and tried removing electric seat modules and nothing changed. When I start it and drive a good 80 miles or so it's start up every time for like 4 days. I found something very strange and this is my question. Would any one know what reason the cigarette lighterr ports front and back when I put a USB adapter in them to charge my Android phone took my phone from 19% battery charge to 2%0in a matter of ten minutes. It was flashing on the phone as though it was charging and instead ended up running the battery down to almost nothing . Is this an indicator of anything common . Please let me know . Thank
Try plugging in another phone charger, one that has a power indicator light, this will let you know if fuses are blown or push in a pop out cigarette lighter to test for voltage. Some phone chargers cannot supply enough current to maintain the current draw of the phone, such as too many apps running at once, or the screen too bright. YouR issue with the USB and your phone discharging rapidly do not seem related to your car battery issue. Use the metal key to get into the trunk.

Last edited by ot1; 08-24-2019 at 11:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
penny brown (08-24-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,391 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
First observe if the car goes to sleep withing 10 seconds after closing doors. All the lights and displays should go off, if not, something keeps the car awake and that will discharge battery overnight.
One common thing with owners parking the car in garage, close to living room is that android is still keeping the bluetooth active.
That brings my guess about 2nd situation. In those years technology was changing on monthly bases and new things not always were working too well.
So it could be that when you plug your android into car USB, they try to pair for music, or video, or navigation, or whatever and that can kill android battery very fast.
So as said, try to plug it into different socket and check what is your android doing at the time.
penny brown (08-24-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 01:19 PM

2003 A211 E500
Thx

Originally Posted by ot1
Try plugging in another phone charger, one that has a power indicator light, this will let you know if fuses are blown or push in a pop out cigarette lighter to test for voltage. Some phone chargers cannot supply enough current to maintain the current draw of the phone, such as too many apps running at once, or the screen too bright. YouR issue with the USB and your phone discharging rapidly do not seem related to your car battery issue. Use the metal key to get into the trunk.
Awww. Thanks for your response.. I actually checked the cigarette lighter fuses in the car the next day and found a yellow 30 amp in it and it calls for 15 . I just took it out for now and you're right, nothing to do with starting/ battery drain issue.😢lol.. Soooo still on it, but getting in my trunk is a real kicker as well. Key does go right in and turns but doesn't open it. I have tried so many things and if I remove the back seats as if I were going to change them out, I'm pretty sure there is metal there that covers it instead of the hole that appears when you are able to pull them down and that can only be done with the trunk open to pull the latches. That is bad.. Kind of a stand still with the trunk and checking on my main battery. Maybe I need to take a short break from it. Thank you for your input. You did mention too many amps, would that be related to the 30 amp fuse I found in it??😊
Old 08-24-2019, 01:37 PM

2003 A211 E500
Hi . Thank u

Originally Posted by kajtek1
First observe if the car goes to sleep withing 10 seconds after closing doors. All the lights and displays should go off, if not, something keeps the car awake and that will discharge battery overnight.
One common thing with owners parking the car in garage, close to living room is that android is still keeping the bluetooth active.
That brings my guess about 2nd situation. In those years technology was changing on monthly bases and new things not always were working too well.
So it could be that when you plug your android into car USB, they try to pair for music, or video, or navigation, or whatever and that can kill android battery very fast.
So as said, try to plug it into different socket and check what is your android doing at the time.
Yes that seems to make a lot of sense. It is parked close to the house but not directly in garage. I did find a fuse that was 30 amp in cig. lighter location so I just decided to pull it out . Didn't replace it yet. I just feel that I badly need access to the the trunk to check fuses and battery. Haven't been able to get in it for 2 mos. Right after I bought it basically. Well thanks for the response and great info. On the technology change over time. Makes sense and probably causes many issues today that we can easily miss.thx again ...
oh and ps .forgot to mention. Everything shuts right off at about the ten seconds. I observe that every time I shut off the car at night. Something's gotta give.. I think..lol
Old 08-24-2019, 04:30 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
To get into the trunk, try holding the handle while you turn the key. Also, I thought I read that you turn the key to the left.
Mike T.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:56 PM

2003 A211 E500
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
To get into the trunk, try holding the handle while you turn the key. Also, I thought I read that you turn the key to the left.
Mike T.
Yes you are right and it does turn to the left because I ve been kinda screwing with it but i
recently realized it possibly might be jammed becuz it doesn't seem to go all the way. Not completely straight. ( The key when turned doesn't turn all the way) im going out of my mind .lol. Thanks for all help and feedback. I am very grateful to all of you.

Last edited by penny brown; 08-24-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:06 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Try reading some of this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-open-key.html

Also, try this:

Did you read the instructions on how to open the trunk? You have to turn the key one way and leave it there and then lift up on the handle to open it. Most mistakes are people turning the key one way and then turning it back to center before trying the handle and then it doesn't open.

Mike T.
penny brown (08-25-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 07:39 PM

2003 A211 E500
Hi

Originally Posted by mtrevelino
Try reading some of this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-open-key.html

Also, try this:

Did you read the instructions on how to open the trunk? You have to turn the key one way and leave it there and then lift up on the handle to open it. Most mistakes are people turning the key one way and then turning it back to center before trying the handle and then it doesn't open.

Mike T.
Yes I thank you for your response and I've seen almost all of them, watched, tried to absorb it all and here is my conclusion since everything in the info. Provided has been tried numerous times. I seriously believe that there's not access to the trunk by removing rear back of seats, due to metal frame , which I haven't tried but all info. And vids said it's part of metal frame directly behind. I now only see drilling holes behind license plate for access to cable to lock. Not wanting to do this 😒😧thank you Mike T.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Can you make a video how you operate trunk lock?
It is common issue, that new car owners use remotes for trunk opening and after few years the tumbler freeze, but usually several exercises while soaking it with WD40 does the trick.
penny brown (08-26-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 02:24 AM

2003 A211 E500
Can you make a video how you operate trunk lock?
It is common issue, that new car owners use remotes for trunk opening and after few years the tumbler freeze, but usually several exercises while soaking it with WD40 does the trick.
Actually, I think I do have something that might be helpful. This is a view from inside where the third brake light is and it shows whats happening while turning key and pulling the handle. I figure that the lock itself is pretty beat up...ok these will be as viewed from above..

Well this is just what it looks like. I have to go back and see how to upload the video which is probably more helpful

This is from the outside looking in. Third brake light removed.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:36 AM

2003 A211 E500
Reply video.. for kajtek1

Hope this works..

Last edited by penny brown; 08-26-2019 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:05 AM

2003 A211 E500
kaktek1

Here's another one..thx
Old 08-26-2019, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I like mechanical puzzles, but never had a need to take MB lock apart.
I removed trunk lock on W210 and that was really mechanical/electrical puzzle as those lock also operate central locking.
So looking at the video, my wild guess would be that you have a rod broken, or disconnected somewhere. The tumbler seems to operate just fine.
Either way this is high-end job of DIY, so check if you have local locksmith who work on MB, or stealer might be your only option.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:05 PM

2003 A211 E500
Agree

I like mechanical puzzles, but never had a need to take MB lock apart.
I removed trunk lock on W210 and that was really mechanical/electrical puzzle as those lock also operate central locking.
So looking at the video, my wild guess would be that you have a rod broken, or disconnected somewhere. The tumbler seems to operate just fine.
Either way this is high-end job of DIY, so check if you have local locksmith who work on MB, or stealer might be your only option.
Yes. It's difficult looking in there alright . I think there's a cable that ultimately pulls it open at the end somewhere under Lic. Plate area.. I appreciate your time. Would love to avoid the stealer .lol