E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Problems with subwoofer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with subwoofer

Hi… since everybody on the forum has been so helpful…I thought I would get your opinion about a problem that I have been having with my new w211. Within a week of receiving my car, I had to bring it back because of a cracking noise from the subwoofer that was caused by deep bass sounds. I have the premium sound (CD changer and Harmon Kardon audio) that is included in the premium package. The Mercedes dealer replaced the subwoofer and within half a day it blew out again. I told the dealer about the previous thread here regarding problems with the subwoofer and their reply was that they would keep replacing the subwoofer. Today I talked to the dealer about rectifying this problem permanently and they said that Mercedes Benz said they would discontinue replacing the speaker and that as a consumer, I should not play my stereo so loud. None of the other speakers distort except for the subwoofer. Has anybody else had this problem or give me their input on how I should handle this problem? I would really appreciate your input. Thanks!

Last edited by colonialE320; 07-13-2004 at 01:59 AM.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:15 AM

E500
Hi,

I am not sure if this is what you looking for.... The HK standard amp were too strong(MB believe that) so they come up with new patch to down grade the amp output. that should work just fine.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:01 PM

2003 E320
In response to your PM and reading your thread. My problem with my "sub" seems to be a vibration only with certan tracks of certan cd's. If I turn the base and/or volume down...what I'am hearing does go away. MB offered to replace the whole back assemble which the sub is connected to but I have not elected to do that yet. The tech at the dealor CAN duplicate the problem but really cannot isolate it....thinking it (sub) is causing a vibration on another componet, possible the hat shelf itself or something in the trunk area.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:05 PM

'04 E55 AMG, '05 Ford Explorer Limited V8, '04 Acura TSX with Nav
Same problem with my '04 E55

I just got authorization to find my own audio guy to do the work and MB would pay. Problem is that you cannot simply replace the sub is what I am being told because MB uses a very thin sub. I posted a message in the E55 forum looking for sub suggestions so check there and hopefully someone will respond with valuable input.

I had the car for a week or so and the day they fixed it and I picked up the car, it happened again. Contact your rep at MB and have them pay for the work for someone to put "something" else in.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:23 PM

2004 E-500 AMG Package, 2003 Jeep Rubicon (awesome offroader)
I also had the same problems as you guys, I bought the system so I can listen to it LOUD!!! Nobody is going to tell me that I can't play it loud, I don't recalling seeing any disclaimer for playing loud, that is very foolish of MB service people telling customers that after paying $1000 for the option.

I took mine in when this happened but MB service can't duplicate the problem. It seems that happens only on certain CDs, on top of the sub I hear cracking sound from one of the satellite speakers on the right hand side, very annoying at times but can't be duplicated when checked.

On one occasion, the whole left side went dead for several hours and mysteriously came back. It hadn't happened again but I won't be surprised if it did.

Let me know if you guys are able to find a replacement sub and how the process went.

Thanks again, you guys are very informative.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Almost a Member!

E500
Rusnakmb,

Speakers don't blow from overpowering amps, they blow from underpowering amps clipping and sending distortion to the speaker. This is a common misconception.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:39 AM

pinto
hey guys, i'm also doing the same thing to my car this coming week. i don't have the HK system so i don't have a sub in that rear deck, but i'm going to by-pass the stock amp completely by replacing it with a Zapco 6-channel aftermarket amp and putting this in the empty 12in' whole on the rear.
http://www.gspr.com/blau/odwp_flat_subwoofers.html. it's the blaubunk saucer woofer. i don't know how the sound is going to be like but i'll give everyone a update when i'm done.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by mbfan67
hey guys, i'm also doing the same thing to my car this coming week. i don't have the HK system so i don't have a sub in that rear deck, but i'm going to by-pass the stock amp completely by replacing it with a Zapco 6-channel aftermarket amp and putting this in the empty 12in' whole on the rear.
http://www.gspr.com/blau/odwp_flat_subwoofers.html. it's the blaubunk saucer woofer. i don't know how the sound is going to be like but i'll give everyone a update when i'm done.
I would love to know when you "buy" one of those woofers, where you got it.

Also, I'd like to know how you "bypass the stock amp completely". Are you planning to rip it out?

-s-
Old 07-22-2004, 05:42 PM

pinto
scorchie, my friend owns a shop in redwood city called "autosound and security" and they are the one that will be installing everything for me. they have worked on all my cars. they are very good. they have worked on many cars that belong to stars like barry bond, jerry rice, rich gannon and many more. scochie i'll talk to you more when i see you wed.