starting and idling with engine air filter removed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 12:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 Mercedes E350 4 matic
starting and idling with engine air filter removed

Hi,
I am trying to diagnose an issue with a misfire in the 4-th cylinder. I am replacing spark plugs (they are 11 years/95K miles old), but I suspect an issue could be the ignition coil. Once I put the new plugs in I want to swap the coils to see if the problem follows the coil.
The question is, can I start and idle the car with air filter assembly removed (the big plastic box on top of the engine)? Am I risking tripping any warning lights or causing engine problems? I am worried that the engine will not be getting the right amount of air with the box removed.
The reason I am asking is that that box is very difficult to remove and put back. The air intake hoses are old, bent around other parts and very difficult to re-attach. I would like to start/stop the engine and run a scanner when I switch plugs and coils without putting the filter and hoses back. I am not planning on driving like this, just idling for a few minutes.
Thanks.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
07 E550 4M - 11 Audi TT - 99 Expedition EB
I've done it plenty of times. No issues. Don’t drive it like that and make sure it’s a reasonably clean environment. I have the same issue with old/slightly damaged air induction tubes.

Originally Posted by ilya980
Hi,
I am trying to diagnose an issue with a misfire in the 4-th cylinder. I am replacing spark plugs (they are 11 years/95K miles old), but I suspect an issue could be the ignition coil. Once I put the new plugs in I want to swap the coils to see if the problem follows the coil.
The question is, can I start and idle the car with air filter assembly removed (the big plastic box on top of the engine)? Am I risking tripping any warning lights or causing engine problems? I am worried that the engine will not be getting the right amount of air with the box removed.
The reason I am asking is that that box is very difficult to remove and put back. The air intake hoses are old, bent around other parts and very difficult to re-attach. I would like to start/stop the engine and run a scanner when I switch plugs and coils without putting the filter and hoses back. I am not planning on driving like this, just idling for a few minutes.
Thanks.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 Mercedes E350 4 matic
Thanks!