E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Im back..E350-E500 E550 4matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 07:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
E300
Originally Posted by rodneypierce
If you dont mind me asking, do you have a particular reason to pick the e500 over the e550? Dont let tjts scare you away with that "car market knows it will be far more expensive to fix the e550" bs. Also, whats the price difference between the two? I would pick a post facelift model all day over a pre, if nothing else for the riddance of SBC alone.

Not trying to sway your decision, just genuinely curious what your deciding factor was.

Also, take whatever car you are thinking of purchasing in to a good independent qualified shop and have them do a PPI.
First and foremost the 500 has a really good service history. The SBC has been fixed and the gas tank issue has been addressed. And yes money did play a role the 550 is about $2500 more and the service history wasn't that great but more importantly the 500 is going to end up being a car for my daughter and I never go over 5k for my kids first "real car". They start off with a sub 1k car or POS as they call them, and if they stay out of trouble and stay on the honor role at 16 they get a decent car that should last them into college , then they are on their own. For now the 500 will be a winter car for my wife , if all goes well with no issues it will go to my daughter next spring. If it turns out to be a POS, I'll just unload it live and learn. I can say I have seen TONS of 2004-2006 E500's with over 200k for sale and running strong. Also if this car does well Im sure my wife would have no problem with an upgrade next spring also. Having said all that I still need to inspect the 500 and drive it so its not a done deal yet. Im bringing a jack and jack stands and my check list and we will see what happens.
The following users liked this post:
rodneypierce (10-03-2019)