Dodge Magnum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by MBZman
So everyone can have their Lexus with unmatched reliability (according to J.D. Powers anyway) or their BMW with great steering feel or their Acura with a wonderful Navigation system, but for me it's an MB - A car which puts a smile on my face and makes my heart beat a little faster everytime I drive it.
Excellent! Have you thought of sending this over to MBUSA Marketing Chief Michelle Cervantez over in Montvale?
Old 10-07-2004, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
If owning a Benz is a way to display success, affluence, or intelligence, it clearly shows how most people in this world are ignorant, and perhaps, stupid. It is safe to know this is the case because if we are flooded with too many intelligent individuals, then no one will do the lesser jobs.

I drive a Benz for what is - a solid car albeit with quality issues.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:34 PM

2001 CLK320
Originally Posted by bmms8
I was watching Espn 2's Auto show. i believe thats what its called, and it was in New York. They were talking about the Dodge Magnum in one segment, and they said it had a real smooth ride, and corners well because it shares parts with the w211???? I didnt know this, is this true, or did they misquote something? thanks

The Dodge Magnum (and Chrysler 300) do utilize E-class rear suspension compenents - I don't know whether it is W210 or W211 spec parts. I think front suspension components are shared as well.

The Hemi 5.7 V8 equipped versions also use the 722.6 MB 5 speed tranny, built under license in the US. As Chrysler doesn't have any RWD sedans, it would probably cost D-C less to share an assembly from the MB line for the Chrysler products as opposed to developing an entirely new RWD platform. With all the losses that Chrysler has had and MB's spiraling warranty / product issues, cost cutting was probably the order of the day...

The Chrysler Pacifica (van/crossover) also uses some of the E-class rear suspension as well.

If D-C is sharing the previous (W210 and R170) chassis parts with Chrysler, they have already amortized the investment used to produce those designs - the older parts can be utilized in Chrysler models which probably have lower overall costs (and retail prices) and can realize some more profit in the long run, if the Chrysler models continue to sell.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:23 PM

Whichever one is available (1 of 5)
I drive MB because I can't afford the Ferrari, Rolls Royce, and Lamborghini. So MB for me is both my transportation and personal enjoyment.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
If you live at a place where Mercedes is still associated w/ social status, may be you should look for another place, instead of a Benz.

Around where I live, there're more Benz, Audi, Lexus, and BMW than Toyota, Nissan, or Honda. Where an average house run anywhere from 800K-1M, a car that run anywhere less than 100K fail to raise any eyebrown.

Mecedes have long lost its status symbol. Even the AMG line are simply mercedes w/ soup up engine. It used to be a Mercedes cost as much as a house, and that command admiration. Now, it worths even less than 5% of a down payment for a house. How much symbol status could that be ??

Get real, face reality: The tri-star, as well as any BMW or Audi badge, is just a mass automobile manufactor, just like Toyota and Honda. The C class from Benz, and 1 serie from BMW proved that.

If you want a second look, get a 67 mustang, or a 300C w/ Hemi. Otherwise, go w/ European car than run at least 100-150K. Anything other than these is just a regular car.

Unless you have a SL55, CL500/600/65, if you think just a regular E or S clas make a statement of success, may be your definition of success is as much as a guy making $20-30/hour thinking he has reached the pinacle of career.

I bought Benz simply because I'm tired of having to haul my E39 to dealer for repair, and the Lexus is just too boring. In southern CA, you'll be lucky if traffic move at all, so there's no need for V8.

Not intend to hurt your pride, just try to bring you back to earth. But let's get real, anyway.

Originally Posted by Miguk_Saram
..hmm.. Benz-bashing has become a little too common in this Forum..

I don't think that most of us bought a Benz for how it "compares" to other vehicles.. I think we bought it for what it represents.

In my opinion, owning a Benz is more of a status symbol than anything else.. sure, you could go out and buy yourself a Dodge Magnum, fully loaded, with similar features, less problems and considerably more inexpensive than our Benz', but.. it would never convey the message that the Tristar emblem conveys.

"Mercedes-Benz" is synonymous with "Success" -- personal success, success in life. I bought my e500 as a way of saying: "Yes, I've made it to a point in which I am financially healthy and can afford to indulge in the finer things in life". By owning a Benz of this caliber, that statement goes without saying.

I would doubt very much that owning a Dodge Magnum would convey the same message (at least not in my clique).

Last edited by zam2000; 10-07-2004 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Sorry guys, to ignore the fact that owning a Mercedes is a status symbol, is naive. There are certain brands that people aspire to. MB is one of them. One can drive a car every bit as luxurious for thousands less. One can drive more dependable cars for less. There is a difference between jewelery bought at Sears, and jewelery bought at Cartier or Tiffany, even though the stones are rated the same.

One does NOT decide to wear a Rolex because it is a great timepiece. It is not as great a timekeeper as a $ 300. Citizen. Yet both will display the time on your wrist.

Why then would a very successful man wear a $ 2,000. suit and a $ 200. tie? One could look just as dashing in an outfit that cost $ 1000. from head to toe, including sox, shoes, tie & belt. I'm not even comparing a $2000 suit with a $200. suit, mind you...

...Its simple certain brands & designers have "Prestige" associated with them. People who choose these items are most certainly factoring in the prestige when making their purchase, whether or not they stop and consciously debate it... They simply would not consider driving a car costing below a certain amount. Why?
Old 10-07-2004, 10:32 PM
RAD
Banned

2004 E500 4MATIC
Looks like someone resurrected an older thread at some point. I didn't read the whole thing, but going back to the beginning, it seems that some are/were comparing the Dodge Magnum to the W211 because it shares some parts.

While the Magnum may represent bang for the buck, it is butt-ugly! Looks like someone smashed the front end with a shovel.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
I think you're missing the point, in term of prestigious, Mercedes no longer equate Rolex/Patek or $2-3K suit, that's for brand like Aston Martin, Ferrari, Bentley, Rolls, or Maybatch.

Mercedes, BMW, or Audi, at best, is comparable to a Movado watch or Calvin Klein suit at department store: nice, but plenty out there, and affordable to almost every one w/ a job.

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
One does NOT decide to wear a Rolex because it is a great timepiece. It is not as great a timekeeper as a $ 300. Citizen. Yet both will display the time on your wrist.

Why then would a very successful man wear a $ 2,000. suit and a $ 200. tie? One could look just as dashing in an outfit that cost $ 1000. from head to toe, including sox, shoes, tie & belt. I'm not even comparing a $2000 suit with a $200. suit, mind you...

...Its simple certain brands & designers have "Prestige" associated with them. People who choose these items are most certainly factoring in the prestige when making their purchase, whether or not they stop and consciously debate it... They simply would not consider driving a car costing below a certain amount. Why?
Old 10-08-2004, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Originally Posted by RAD
While the Magnum may represent bang for the buck, it is butt-ugly! Looks like someone smashed the front end with a shovel.
What does a car represent? That is part of this thread debate and it is clear that the Magnum represents something and at the present the E-Class represents little!

The Magnum is "Butt-Ugly" - Does that mean your E500 is Pretty? Is so, who in the hell wants a Pretty car? I have an E55 and my 300C and Magnum get more notice, more attention and more compliments than my E55 ever did and together they cost less than my E55. (not that I am looking for attention, but that is the facts)

I somewhat agree with you about the ugly part. But that is part of the appeal. I don't describe them as pretty or beautiful cars but rather bad azz, unique, bit-chin and really cool! What real man goes around describing his car as Pretty anyway? I don't want to drive a pretty car - Pretty is for woman.

If the Magnum is "butt-ugly" than so is every SUV, Rolls, Bentley, 300C, old Mercedes and even Maybach because all these cars have similar styling virtues.

Last edited by E55 KEV; 10-08-2004 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:29 PM
RAD
Banned

2004 E500 4MATIC
E55Kev,

I certainly didn't mean to offend you or any other Magnum owners with my "butt-ugly" comment--but that is still my opinion (even one you "somewhat agree" with). I don't find the car attractive, and wouldn't take one if it was given to me (unless I immediately sold it). Does this mean that I know nothing about the car's merits? Or the claims by some that it is a better value than the W211? Absolutely not. I simply don't like the way it looks, just like some people don't like the taste of chocolate ice cream. It's subjective.

I don't think of my E500 as "pretty," but I definitely think it's good-looking: in parts sporty, luxurious, and simultaneously classic and avant-garde. I think it's a great car, and I'd buy one again. As I've said before, this is my first Mercedes, but it won't be my last.

And FWIW, I don't think things have to be so polarized--not only can someone appreciate both a Magnum and a W211, but even both a W211 and a BMW...
Old 10-08-2004, 04:44 PM

W203 C240
buy it cause you like it not because of how people will think about you when your in it
Old 10-09-2004, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Hey RAD, We are cool! I know that liking the looks of any car is subjective and very opinionated but if one ever needed some transportation that was cool, could haul-azz and haul some stuff the Magnum would be the ticket. I needed something with cargo capability and I like to drive, take turns and corner quickly and SUV and trucks lumber around, float and are generally slow. Plus I don't like the idea of Rolling Over. I got rid of a Ford Explorer Sport Trak with a 210HP V6 that I hated because it was not fun to drive and cost the same and had the same gas mileage as the Magnum with 340HP. Something that only cost $29k with power, does not look like Grandpa's old Station Wagon nor anything else on the road and cheap to modify is a excellent deal and very logical to boot.

Get used to them, because Daimler-Chrysler is mass producing the Chrysler 300, Dodge Magnum and the upcoming Dodge Charger along with an upcoming 6.1 liter V8 with 425HP and they can not build them quick enough.

I know a good bargain when I see one.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by RAD
For those of us non US residents who have never heard of, or indeed seen a 'Dodge Magnum' Here is a picture of one.

My own personal opnion is that it perhaps does not have the 'flowing' lines of the S211.

Regards,
John
A very rough windy morning in Torquay
Attached Thumbnails Dodge Magnum-magnum.jpg  
Old 10-10-2004, 08:55 PM
RAD
Banned

2004 E500 4MATIC
John,

That's the best looking picture of a Magnum I've ever seen! It looks pretty good!

E55 Kev,

Glad to hear we're OK. When you're talking about the Magnum's cargo space, are you referring to the sedan or the wagon? One of the things I really like about the W211 is the cargo space--in fact, we were leaning toward an S430, but the trunk in the E500 was definitely bigger (we have a baby and have to constantly tote her stroller and other items). Do you know how the Magnum's trunk compares?