Dodge Magnum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Dodge Magnum

I was watching Espn 2's Auto show. i believe thats what its called, and it was in New York. They were talking about the Dodge Magnum in one segment, and they said it had a real smooth ride, and corners well because it shares parts with the w211???? I didnt know this, is this true, or did they misquote something? thanks
Old 07-16-2004, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by bmms8
I was watching Espn 2's Auto show. i believe thats what its called, and it was in New York. They were talking about the Dodge Magnum in one segment, and they said it had a real smooth ride, and corners well because it shares parts with the w211???? I didnt know this, is this true, or did they misquote something? thanks
Yes, it is all true, but it doesn't corner well because of the Mercedes chassis parts (W210 I thought, except maybe the front control arms are W211). (I think the W211 suffers from bloat which affects its cornering abilities.)

Marvel in its navigation system similar to the M-class. Note how the RDS effortlessly displays radio information without clogging up the Dodge forums about "can I get RDS?". Check out the internal 6-disc CD changer that plays MP3-encoded discs. Admire the Bluetooth phone kit for such a cheap price. Wonder why the Sirius satellite radio option is only $195 and still includes 1-year of subscription. Laugh at how lame Dodge dealers are and how bad the service people suck, even compared with Mercedes dealers. Be relieved that if you get a Dodge Magnum, it will probably have fewer problems than most of our Mercedes.

And all that for $36,000 list with every possible option on the Hemi-powered 340hp version with 18" rims, that still gets 25mpg.

-s-
Old 07-16-2004, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500
Yeah, but I bet it doesn't have a pretty tristar on the front hood.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
How many hamburgers do you put salt into? It doesn't make them steak.

It will never be a Benz. Fear Not!
Old 07-16-2004, 03:11 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
How many hamburgers do you put salt into? It doesn't make them steak.

It will never be a Benz. Fear Not!

For the money - I would rather have a hemi Magnum than a C-Class. It's kind of cool IMO...

IIRC the suspension does use a lot of W210 parts.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:47 PM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
..hmm.. Benz-bashing has become a little too common in this Forum..

I don't think that most of us bought a Benz for how it "compares" to other vehicles.. I think we bought it for what it represents.

In my opinion, owning a Benz is more of a status symbol than anything else.. sure, you could go out and buy yourself a Dodge Magnum, fully loaded, with similar features, less problems and considerably more inexpensive than our Benz', but.. it would never convey the message that the Tristar emblem conveys.

"Mercedes-Benz" is synonymous with "Success" -- personal success, success in life. I bought my e500 as a way of saying: "Yes, I've made it to a point in which I am financially healthy and can afford to indulge in the finer things in life". By owning a Benz of this caliber, that statement goes without saying.

I would doubt very much that owning a Dodge Magnum would convey the same message (at least not in my clique).
Old 07-16-2004, 03:55 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Just be sure that the "message" conveyed to you by a Dodge Magnum isn't "license, registration and proof of insurance, please." Today my local rag carried a picture of a Magnum in police drag that DCX is trying to sell to American law enforcement. The car in the photo was in black and white, with light bar on the roof and a big "POLICE" on the side - but with alloy wheels that look to be 21s, at least. Wonder if American cops are willing to say "Hemi" even if it comes in a station wagon body.

Last edited by DWP; 07-16-2004 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:20 PM

2004 W211 - 2004 MV Agusta SPR
Originally Posted by Miguk_Saram

I don't think that most of us bought a Benz for how it "compares" to other vehicles.. I think we bought it for what it represents.

In my opinion, owning a Benz is more of a status symbol than anything else.. sure, you could go out and buy yourself a Dodge Magnum, fully loaded, with similar features, less problems and considerably more inexpensive than our Benz', but.. it would never convey the message that the Tristar emblem conveys.

"Mercedes-Benz" is synonymous with "Success" -- personal success, success in life. I bought my e500 as a way of saying: "Yes, I've made it to a point in which I am financially healthy and can afford to indulge in the finer things in life". By owning a Benz of this caliber, that statement goes without saying.

I would doubt very much that owning a Dodge Magnum would convey the same message (at least not in my clique).
Couldnt of said it any better myself...thats why I bought my benz.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:21 PM

2004 E500

I never thought much about status. After driving a Porsche for four years, I was ready for a change and decided that rather than spending money on a lot of performance which I never used, for the same amount of money, I would get a car that would still be fun to drive with excellent performance plus every luxury and option that I could ever want. I had driven enough MBs in Europe that I knew what I wanted and didn't even shop around. Even if I had shopped and compared the A/V electronics, I probably would not have done anything different. However, the p--sp--r design for integration of phone and audio is a major disappointment especially when I see other DC products which have capabilities which we can't even get or those that we can get but at a much lower cost. I'm also alarmed at all of the discussion about poor service and reliability.

Nonetheless, it's a great car. At 2,000+ miles and several out-of-town trips, I have had no problems and it is a joy to drive, exceeding all expectations in the performance department especially for a car which is so big and luxurious. But, they should be ashamed of themselves for letting such a deficient design get through especially when so much else of the electronics is so well throught out and integrated; e.g., Nav, some elements of the radio/CD, steering wheel controls, speedo display, etc..
Old 07-16-2004, 04:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,434 Likes on 3,151 Posts
'71 Pinto
No complaints – anymore. I just wish MB (the most profitable arm of DCAG) would fine tune a bit quicker before introducing features on par or better than to the rest of their lineup. You would think, as a company, you would want to keep your bread & butter …well, buttered.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
[QUOTE=Miguk_Saram]..hmm.. Benz-bashing has become a little too common in this Forum..

"Mercedes-Benz" is synonymous with "Success" -- personal success, success in life. I bought my e500 as a way of saying: "Yes, I've made it to a point in which I am financially healthy and can afford to indulge in the finer things in life". By owning a Benz of this caliber, that statement goes without saying. QUOTE]

I believe you have hit the nail SQUARELY on the head. It is exactly the truth because even given some of the quality problems MB has been having, (and is doing an admirable job of correcting) there are right now, other, problem free, perfected Luxury cars available to buy. The problem is No other brand can imply the statement you have written above. MB doesn't have to "SAY" it, it is IMPLIED and accepted by the public.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OMG... definitely not for me. And I kind of hope that most of the people in this forum wouldn't be doing that either. Yet the reality remains that many people do buy things for status. I would prefer to acquire things because they like them or because they fit some sort of requirements I have, and none of those requirements are for impressing other people.

If status was the primary reason for Benz ownership in this forum, I don't think we'd see so many complaints.

-s-
Old 07-16-2004, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
True, you bought it because you liked it.

You didn't buy it for its top of class performance, electronics, abundance of technical features.

The complaining on the forums, in its purest form, is the agravation the car causes for all of its shortcomings due to the sudden rush by MB to give the consumer bells & whistles in a beautiful body. Something MB didn't used to have to do because, while their cars were "classicly designed handsome vehicles", they were not STYLISH or full of bells & whistles, which MB felt were "all style, no substance"*. The "substance" MB was referring to was Originally Posted by Miguk_Saram in his above quoted paragraph.

You have to admit, when MB brings back to MB the dependability of a Lexus, with MB's new found sense of style and MB's solid, block of steel mechanical engineering, the brand will once again be world class unbeatable. That's why Lexus stylists are going full steam to catch up to the W 211 E class' beauty on their new designs.

*The Texans say it best when they say "...all hat, no cattle".

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 07-16-2004 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by scorchie

If status was the primary reason for Benz ownership in this forum, I don't think we'd see so many complaints.

-s-
i totally agree, everybody would be saying how great thier cars are, but that isnt the case..
Old 07-16-2004, 06:32 PM

2004 E500
OMG... definitely not for me. And I kind of hope that most of the people in this forum wouldn't be doing that either. Yet the reality remains that many people do buy things for status. I would prefer to acquire things because they like them or because they fit some sort of requirements I have, and none of those requirements are for impressing other people.

-s-
Well put, as usual, Scorchie.

There seem to be two schools here: one group bought their MB because it is tangible evidence of status or accomplishment; the other because of its mix of engineering excellence, performance, quality and reliability, available features, simple understated styling, and luxury (or at least its reputation for those characteristics). Those of us in the second group are frustrated, or even feeling betrayed, because it underachieved especially in the engineering excellence category. Ironically, the reason why it is viewed as a status symbol is because of its 100+ year history of responding to those enthusiasts in the second category.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:30 PM

'07 GL450
For the record:

1. I am of BOTH schools of thought ('nough said!)
2. And I quote:
From where I stand, because there are so many complaints, yet very few (if any) of us seem to be giving up our vehicles and migrating toward other makes/brands, is sign enough that quality does not carry as much weight as reputation; otherwise, we would all be willing to relinquish our beloved w211 and purchase a vehicle that met our insatiable demands: a Dodge Magnum?

Again, I would doubt very much that, at any point in the near future, owning a Dodge Magnum (or any other vehicle) would convey, or even imply, the same as owning a Mercedes-Benz w211 today.

My $.02 ..
Old 07-16-2004, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

otherwise, we would all be willing to relinquish our beloved w211 and purchase a vehicle that met our insatiable demands: a Dodge Magnum?

Again, I would doubt very much that, at any point in the near future, owning a Dodge Magnum (or any other vehicle) would convey, or even imply, the same as owning a Mercedes-Benz w211 today.
I'm not planning to give up my W211 for the Dodge Magnum... but I am seriously considering adding one, possibly in place of the GST I was going to purchase (as the GST would not be here in time for the next snowboard season, and I am currently without snowboard transport as the season approaches).

I have never addressed nor contested your assertation that owning a Dodge Magnum will neither convey nor imply the same things as owning a Mercedes-Benz W211. What I am saying is... if that's important to you, that's fine, but IMHO, either you are shallow, or you know too many people who are. That's all there is to it. I don't care what it implies that I have a W211; then again, I would think if it is that important to you, you might buy an E55 instead, or even better, an SL500.

I apologize that I wasn't clearer earlier. I wasn't trying to contradict your statement about the image the car projects, etc.

-s-
Old 07-16-2004, 09:58 PM
lig

Scorchie - I think you are 100% on target here.

While I won't be replacing the W211 with a Magnum - I'm probably going back to Lexus for our next car. (provided the new IS coupe is equal to or better than the G35 coupe or I somehow come up with enough $$$ for an SC430 because she likes that car )

If it isn't - the wifey gets an '05 G35 6 speed coupe w/295 hp and an improved interior in the near future.

I really don't care that much about the image my car projects... but the three pointed star does have an impact on people without a doubt.

Last edited by lig; 07-16-2004 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:50 AM

'07 GL450
I apologize that I wasn't clearer earlier. I wasn't trying to contradict your statement about the image the car projects, etc.
No apologies are necessary - I've read many of your posts.. I understand your train of thought and respect your opinion, however,
IMHO, either you are shallow, or you know too many people who are. That's all there is to it.
let's try to keep things civil and have a general discussion without getting too personal.

I don't care what it implies that I have a W211; then again, I would think if it is that important to you, you might buy an E55 instead, or even better, an SL500.
I considered the e55, but, as stated in another thread e500 vs e320 vs 530i, I felt that it was more than I needed, and more than I wanted to convey.

My e500 says exactly what I want it to say about me, nothing more, nothing less. An e55, sl500, or even an S-class implies (in my circles) too much. In the case of e55: show-off!, the sl500: mid-life crisis, and the S-class: family man; an e320, BMW, or any other make says less.

There is no denying that the car one drives - same as the way one dresses, or the way one expresses themself - speaks tomes about who they are. I spent the better part of a year searching for the right "car" for me, and when I came across the 2003 w211.. "Eureka!!"

Would I purchase a Dodge Magnum? No. But if that vehicle is suitable for you, then more power to you!

On the flip side, my 1995 Mazda mx-6 is what I use to carry my SCUBA, volley-ball, rock-climbing, bicycling, kayaking, skiing/snowboarding and whatever other gear I may need for the various activities that I participate in. When I drive that car, it says exactly what I need it to say during that time. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:15 AM
lig

I felt that it was more than I needed, and more than I wanted to convey.

My e500 says exactly what I want it to say about me, nothing more, nothing less. An e55, sl500, or even an S-class implies (in my circles) too much. In the case of e55: show-off!, the sl500: mid-life crisis, and the S-class: family man; an e320, BMW, or any other make says less.

There is no denying that the car one drives - same as the way one dresses, or the way one expresses themself - speaks tomes about who they are. I spent the better part of a year searching for the right "car" for me, and when I came across the 2003 w211.. "Eureka!!"

When I drive that car, it says exactly what I need it to say during that time. Nothing more, nothing less.

You are cracking me up. You buy your cars the way I buy my suits.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No apologies are necessary - I've read many of your posts.. I understand your train of thought and respect your opinion, however,
let's try to keep things civil and have a general discussion without getting too personal.
Not intended personally! That's why I included "people you know" because a person has far less control of other's values than his own. And earlier, you did mention the appearance to your "clique" which is what I was referring to.

-s-

Last edited by scorchie; 07-17-2004 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:55 AM

ML 500 Sport
I will not get all long winded about why I buy MBs or anything else except to say that the "status" of MB comes from a history of great design, engineering and performance. If you really look at the Dodge Magnum and I have it is really a very good car... no frills...but for me puts it's money where I largely want it: performance...It is very comparable to an e500 estate but larger...wheelbase is closer to an Sclass...faster and handles extremely well. thanks to a careful merging of both MB/DC (Dodge Chrylser) expertise...i am buying one...because I can't get an E55 estate and to hold me till the Rclass AMG comes along...and if they do a Magnum SRT-8 as rumored...who knows maybe I will get that...don't knock it till you drive it...not to mention it is HALF the price of an W211...

p.s. And it has Bluetooth!...and MB doesn't...what's that all about?

also...look for alot of after market stuff for the Magnum coming in the future even Brabus getting in the act...
Old 10-07-2004, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
If owning a Mercedes implies some sort of status symbol then buying a car with 20% Mercedes parts should also be some sort of status symbol also - albeit only 20%.

Darn, there are some very shallow folks with very low self-esteem if confidence is brought about by owning a Mercedes.

Last edited by E55 KEV; 10-07-2004 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Whose turn is it to tell a joke????? PLEASE

Regards to you all,
John
Night time in Torquay
Old 10-07-2004, 05:22 PM

SL500
Interesting thread . . . a couple of weeks ago I took my car in for service and was given a Saab convertible which I drove for 2 days. After picking my car up from the service bay i was IMMEDIATELY reminded of why I purchased a Benz. The difference was unbelievable, my Benz felt like a tank built out of a single block of steal compared to the Saab.

For me, MB's style, quality, driving feel & safety can't be beat. Sure, MB has been struggling with quality issues, but I'm conviced they are aware of them and implementing the necessary changes. Every time I drive my car it puts a smile on my face, which is truly the ultimate test.

So everyone can have their Lexus with unmatched reliability (according to J.D. Powers anyway) or their BMW with great steering feel or their Acura with a wonderful Navigation system, but for me it's an MB - A car which puts a smile on my face and makes my heart beat a little faster everytime I drive it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dodge Magnum