Do I have a serious airmatic problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
Do I have a serious airmatic problem?

I posted this over in the E55 forum, but I realize it's more a W211 thing than E55. It seems that my left rear side is much lower than the right. Meaning the body is sitting much closer to the tire than on the right. Has anyone heard of this? Honestly, i'm not sure if it's always been this way (3,500 miles) and I just figured my garage was a little tilted or did something just happen. The car seems to be driving fine. I'm a little nervous as I have close to 2,000 miles to drive this week. Was looking forward to getting this car on the open road for real long stretches, but i'm a little concerned now.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:57 AM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
I would make an appointment ASAP so you can have your car back for your drive.

Definitely not normal.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Does this happen only when you are driving, or when it is at a standstill and off? I remember some posts some time ago where it seemed to be uneven for some people when they turned the car off and left it overnight. Others also mentioned that the rear seemed to drop for them when the car was off. But, in both cases, once the car was started, everything worked normally. Don't remember what the resolution was.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
I have noticed with my car while parked on an incline meaning the incline is from the side of the car (left and right) rather than front and back, that the car wants to self level itself... This would look rather strange while looking at the car from each side as it would be very obvious that one side of the body would be very much lower on the tire than the other side... From the back the car would also seem to be lower on one side but in reality, it would be level "with the world"..... If your parked on a very level surface and you notice this problem, then I would say have it checked out. Probably not too serious as far as a saftey issue, but sould be looked at before a long trip..... G.L...
Old 07-18-2004, 04:20 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
Mine is a little higher (about 1/2 inch) on the rear passenger side, than on the rear driver side. I was on an uneven surface in the rear about a week ago. The self leveling has leveled, but not all the way yet. I would think a week would definitely be enough, but I'm not too concerned however - yet!
Old 07-18-2004, 04:32 PM
Almost a Member!

02 330Ci
Your rear left passenger really need to loose weight
Old 07-18-2004, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by alewifebp
Does this happen only when you are driving, or when it is at a standstill and off? I remember some posts some time ago where it seemed to be uneven for some people when they turned the car off and left it overnight. Others also mentioned that the rear seemed to drop for them when the car was off. But, in both cases, once the car was started, everything worked normally. Don't remember what the resolution was.
Hey, how are you? How can I tell if it's low when i'm driving, LOL. don't mean to be a wise ***. I actually was thinking of that same question. Was going to have my brother drive along side to see if one side looked lower. I don't know if he's be able to tell. I mean it's not like the car is sitting on the ground. I sent an e-mail to the GM of the dealer who I get along with real good, (she's cute to!)and even though I don't have an appointment i'm on my way now to drop it off.
Old 07-18-2004, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
I have noticed with my car while parked on an incline meaning the incline is from the side of the car (left and right) rather than front and back, that the car wants to self level itself... This would look rather strange while looking at the car from each side as it would be very obvious that one side of the body would be very much lower on the tire than the other side... From the back the car would also seem to be lower on one side but in reality, it would be level "with the world"..... If your parked on a very level surface and you notice this problem, then I would say have it checked out. Probably not too serious as far as a saftey issue, but sould be looked at before a long trip..... G.L...
I always thought it was my garage floor being a little crooked. 'cause I seem to remember that my E500 also used to "lean left". But yesterday, I drove it to about 5 different lots, parked got out and each time it was lower on the left side. We'll see.
Old 07-18-2004, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by Kenechi
Your rear left passenger really need to loose weight
Watch it buddy!! Actually the left rear passenger is usually my 9 yr. old string bean daughter. My wife sits in the front passenger.... nah, better not even go there.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Now I realize the error in my language . What I meant is an difference when the car is off and when it is on, since you should see the difference right away.

I'm doing good. I see that they are planning another meet in this area, but it doesn't seem like it is getting that much interest.