E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

e500 5spd trans wont engage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 ford f150 xlt, '08 ford focus ses coupe, '08 bmw 335xi, '15 ford f150 fx4 ecoboost
Unhappy e500 5spd trans wont engage

hi all, i was stranded in rush hour traffic after stopping for a light. car had been performing flawlessly all day and car was at normal operating temperature. when the light turned green the car just revved. i thought i might have accidentally bumped the shifter, but the cluster and indicator were showing (D)rive. The car would not allow me to select gears by moving the shifter left or right... just remained in D

By this time everyone was laying on their horn. I quickly shifted to park then back to drive. Still nothing. Same for reverse. I was able to get the assistance of a nice women and we pushed the car off the road. Cycling the ignition did not correct the issue. i looked under the car for any fluid leaks or visible signs of damage..... nothing.

After the car sat for 10 minutes i tried to move the car. there was engagement but before attempting to get back on the road i stopped, selected reverse, and didnt get the warm and fuzzy that everything was back to normal. it felt like it was slipping in reverse. selecting drive again, nothing. just revs.

So i called for a tow to get it to the nearest shop.

Shop calls after looking the car over and says it needs a trans. i asked if there were any codes and they said they had not checked yet. How did they come to the conclusion that the trans had failed without and diagnosis? they said they drove it after it sat all night and when cold the trans worked great but after warming up the trans stopped.

I asked the shop to check for codes and do an inspection, that the trans is know for commutator plate issues and the pass through of the harness. told them the car was at temp all day and had no hesitation or abnormal shifts. the only thing that happened that day that could have impacted the performance of the trans was that i had gone to an automatic car wash. possibly water had gotten into the harness. who knows.

so my question is, has anyone had a similar transmission issue and found the solution?

searching the threads the only similar issue was the shift linkage coming loose. but seeing as i was already under way .... and the shop was able to move the vehicle, we can rule that out.

the shop wants over 3k for a used trans plus any other stuff that will need to be replaced like exhaust clamps and what not. ive fallen on hard times due to ongoing health issues and cannot shoulder that kind of expense especially after no proper diagnosis.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,165 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Time for another shop. Get the car scanned for codes. As you said, it's usually the connector and the conductor plate that goes on the transmissions.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 410 Likes on 341 Posts
C320
Originally Posted by gtferrari
Shop calls after looking the car over and says it needs a trans. i asked if there were any codes and they said they had not checked yet. How did they come to the conclusion that the trans had failed without and diagnosis? they said they drove it after it sat all night and when cold the trans worked great but after warming up the trans stopped.
Find another shop.