Old 07-21-2004, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 w/ AMG Sport Package
Daytime Running Lights

How do i turn on my DRL?
Old 07-21-2004, 11:43 AM

W211 E270CDI Elegance, Tansanite Blue with Anthracite Leather
That was my understanding also. DRT is a legal requirement, if not set then you would have to select sidelights or dipped headlights for daytime use. I normally drive with lights on, I figure you have a better chance of being noticed by all those slack drivers out there and so lessen your chance of a car accident.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:48 AM

2013 w204 C350
Activating DRL

You can actually activate this through the instrument cluster settings menu. I believe its under the lighting menu, under Lighting Circuit or something like that. Turn it to on in the cluster menu and even with your lights set to off or auto during the day they will always stay on.

Fazooley
Old 07-21-2004, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
DRL's (In the E's case, if you set it up, your low beam headlights will be on all the time as soon as the engine is started & they key released from the "crank" position). This can be set in the cluster for the head lamps to be always ON.

That being said, most American car manufacturers DRL's are the HIGH Beams ONLY, illuminated to 1/2 their brightness output by a resistor & series circuit.
When those 1/2 dimmed brights are illuminated, the instrument cluster is NOT on, and neither are the tail lights/ marker lights. It is done this way to not shorten the life of the regular headlight bulbs, and if you are driving from day into night, you will notice that your instrument cluster lights are off & will either manually turn on the regular headlamp switch or in some cars the change is done automatically by an external light sensor.

In the E clas, its simply telling the car's settings whether you want
(1)the headlights on ALL the time or,
(2) turn on at automatically dusk, or
(3) leave them always off to be manually turned on when you feel you want them on.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 07-21-2004 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:18 PM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by fazooley
You can actually activate this through the instrument cluster settings menu. I believe its under the lighting menu, under Lighting Circuit or something like that. Turn it to on in the cluster menu and even with your lights set to off or auto during the day they will always stay on.

Fazooley
This is right. They call it "constant headlamp mode" and it can be turned on or off from the Instrument Cluster. The advantage of using the DRL option is that only the low-beam headlamps will be turned on. The taillights will not go on. The other advantage is that the lights will turn off automatically when you turn the engine off and remove the key. If you use Auto mode, the lights will come on only at night or when in a dark place. If you use the full on position then the taillights will also be on and you have to remember to turn them off when you park the car since they don't turn off automatically. I learned that the hard way one time when I forgot and drained my battery.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:41 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Here in Canada DRL are mandatory. Ii has been shown to reduce accidents especially at lights with people turning. I know in the States you guys don't have them but I would turn them on if it is an option in the dash..

Just my 2 loonies..
Old 07-21-2004, 01:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,448 Likes on 3,155 Posts
'71 Pinto
Absolutely agree. I myself, never leave home without them. IMO, the dealer should activate this feature before finalizing delivery just as they do with teleaid.