E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

problems with 2003 E500 Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problems with 2003 E500 Sport

We picked up our 03 E500 Sport Jan 03, since we have it in the shop 14 times for; (some were done together, so totals add to more than 14)
9 times for tire pressure sesnor issues, reads a problem when none exist
8 times for sunroof that rattles when opened, have had the sunroof replaced, still happens
5 times for radio problems, very loud "white noise", also dosn't turn off or on, also CD dosn't restart where left off, we have had the SW updated 4 times and now have just given up
4 times for AC issues, had unit replaced
1 time for engine noise , had to have front pully replaced
This AM I brought it back to the shop for tire pressure issues and also a loud noise when backing up, the car has 27K miles on it., is all this normal?

I have owned a 97 C280, a 2000 CLK Cab, a 2000 E430 and this E500, have also ordered a new SLK 350.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:27 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Our car - '03 E500, build date 9/02, delivered 9/03, 10K miles at present:

- No tire pressure sensors, so no problems with same.
- No sunroof noises
- One trip to dealer to fix radio problem by a software upgrade, no audio problems since.
- No A/C problems
- No funny engine or backing-up noises

There is no way to tell what is "normal" in terms of perceived problems, since there are too many variables - including the tolerance level of the driver for noises and for things like a CD player that doesn't resume where you left off. I've obviously not had the kind of problems you have experienced, although I've also got half the time with the car, and one-third the mileage, that you do. I suspect that you've had a lot more face time with your service advisor than most people in this forum, though.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:56 PM

ML-350, Maserati Quattroporte
I'm reaching my tolerance too. Love the car in all ways but hate the problems. I forget how many total times I've been in since 11/03 but it's around 6-8. Radio prob fixed, took it back because gateway out and then just a few weeks ago my CD player died. First hot day here on 4/04 noticed no AC. Fixed fine. They said never charged at factory. Now it's totally out again and I'm on the appointment book for Monday. Must admit I always got a loaner and good service. Only problem with that is today without AC in 92 degree weather I can't really use the car and they won't deal with it untill Monday. For those of you out there who accuse those of us with problems as being flame throwers or trolls, please let me state again "I love my car but I hate the problems". Lesson for me is that I'll never buy the 1st year of a new body style. By all accounts on these boards it seems like the bugs were worked out by 04'. I aspire towards an 07' S-class when the bugs are gone(and I can afford it). Still love all my MB's 2000 S430, 2000 E wagon and my w211.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:29 AM

ML-350, Maserati Quattroporte
To be fair I wanted to follow up. I showed up at dealer this am. They were understanding of the fact that AC out in hot weather is a major inconveniance. The service guy not only put me in for today, he also gave me a new C240 loaner ( not the usual enterprise rental). One of their gophers put all my stuff in the loaner while I filled out the paper work. I thought that was reasonable and fair.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
Originally Posted by 3rdtoy
This AM I brought it back to the shop for tire pressure issues and also a loud noise when backing up, the car has 27K miles on it., is all this normal?
please give me ur dealers diagnoses of this problem, bcs mine's doing the same thing... thnx
Old 07-22-2004, 03:37 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
Been driving my '03 E500 since May of '03. 16000+ miles with no problems. NONE of what you are experiencing are "normal". Keep on top of the dealership and demand a decent loaner when yours is in the shop. I hope your issues get resolved. The car is sweet to drive - should not be in the shop!
Old 07-22-2004, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by moa4r
please give me ur dealers diagnoses of this problem, bcs mine's doing the same thing... thnx
Dealer just called, they can NOT fix the sunroof, whenever it is open it rattles, it stops if I move the shade to the lip of sunroof, but if the shade moves just a bid the rattle comes back, it is very loud, right over my right ear. He also said they think the tire pressure sensors are to sensative (?) nice way to throw away $650 on a useless option. They also said I should expect the tire pressure warning to come on every couple of weeks.

Dealer said they would call MB and get back to me, and what kind of loaner did they give me? A Kia! nice car to drive around in while they try to figure out what to do.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:13 PM

2004 E500 w/ AMG Sport Package
thats crap....my tire pressure came on once in 6000 miles....tell them to fix it...period...
Old 07-22-2004, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Since Dec 23 03, mine has only come on 1 time. I had a screw in the tire & it picked up the slow leak pressure loss. Is the same wheel sensor always coming on all the time?

In my E, reactivatinf the TPMS seems to "reset" it. Have you done this? It takes about 10 minutes of driving untill you get readings again.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
Dealer just called, they can NOT fix the sunroof, whenever it is open it rattles, it stops if I move the shade to the lip of sunroof, but if the shade moves just a bid the rattle comes back, it is very loud, right over my right ear. He also said they think the tire pressure sensors are to sensative (?) nice way to throw away $650 on a useless option. They also said I should expect the tire pressure warning to come on every couple of weeks.

Dealer said they would call MB and get back to me, and what kind of loaner did they give me? A Kia! nice car to drive around in while they try to figure out what to do.
no, wait, I was talking about the loud noise you hear when backing up...did they have a fix/diagnosis for that?? I'm having the same problem, but don't feel like taking it in unless its something there is a remote chance they can fix w/o breaking a few other things...
Old 07-22-2004, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Pick up my 04 E320 on April 04, got car for a week, then the gateway module failed. Car spent the next 30 days at dealer, waiting for part (shortage, lot of cars must be having similar problems). Dealer provided me an ML350 as loaner, and cut me a check for $1000 (Fletcher Jones, CA). I'm told MBUSA repay dealer for that $1k. Dealer asked if I want to negotiate a buyback, but I didn't take it.

No problem ever since, car perform as perfect as one can imagine. But it's only few months since, gotta wait and see what happen. I don't think any of the problem you encoutered is considered normal, even if they happen once, not to mention multiple times. First year build car ususually have more problem, but yours is way over the line.

Time to get a laywer, or ask Benz to buy back your car.

I'm happy with my car so far, except for the pathetic SBC, keep hissing. From what I've seen and tried, it's considered normal for SBC. Oh well, gotta learn to live with it.

My W210 is way more fun and lively to drive (Bilstein HD, sport wheels...)

We picked up our 03 E500 Sport Jan 03, since we have it in the shop 14 times for; (some were done together, so totals add to more than 14)
9 times for tire pressure sesnor issues, reads a problem when none exist
8 times for sunroof that rattles when opened, have had the sunroof replaced, still happens
5 times for radio problems, very loud "white noise", also dosn't turn off or on, also CD dosn't restart where left off, we have had the SW updated 4 times and now have just given up
4 times for AC issues, had unit replaced
1 time for engine noise , had to have front pully replaced

I have owned a 97 C280, a 2000 CLK Cab, a 2000 E430 and this E500, have also ordered a new SLK 350.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by moa4r
no, wait, I was talking about the loud noise you hear when backing up...did they have a fix/diagnosis for that?? I'm having the same problem, but don't feel like taking it in unless its something there is a remote chance they can fix w/o breaking a few other things...
After having the car for 2 days they told me tonight they hear the noise, but have not gotten to it, maybe tomorrow. So no answer what it may be. It started last week, and is there everytime I back up.

getting ready to force them to give me another car.