Tele-Aid I Button Calling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 08:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 R320 CDI
Question Tele-Aid I Button Calling

Has anyone heard of this problem or how to fix it? I just got my '05 CDI and after 3 days I called using the I button to establish Tele-Aid service. The call worked fine. Ever since then, when I press the I or wrench button I get a message on the screen that says "connecting call" then about 2 seconds later, it says "call failed." I called MB customer service line from my personal cell and they said I have to bring it into the dealer. I was wondering if anyone knows the fix to this problem or has experienced it in the past too.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:32 PM

'05 e320 cdi, '05 lexus rx330
Originally Posted by cdisam
Has anyone heard of this problem or how to fix it? I just got my '05 CDI and after 3 days I called using the I button to establish Tele-Aid service. The call worked fine. Ever since then, when I press the I or wrench button I get a message on the screen that says "connecting call" then about 2 seconds later, it says "call failed." I called MB customer service line from my personal cell and they said I have to bring it into the dealer. I was wondering if anyone knows the fix to this problem or has experienced it in the past too.
are you in range of a cell tower? tele aid is a dedicated cell phone and must be in range of celluar service for it to work
Old 08-09-2004, 11:07 AM

2004 E320
That implies that each vehicle has a unique phone number so that Teleaid can call you. How do you find out the vehicles phone number?
Old 08-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Almost a Member!

E63 AMG
Yes, I have experienced similar problems. Trying again usually works. I would also mention that for the first three months after taking delivery, I was getting intermittant "SOS - TeleAid" failure notices in the display. The dealer replaced the whole display unit and this solved the notices. Overall, I don't have a high degree of reliance on the integrated teleaid features. The few times I have used it - and gotten through - it was after *long* pauses of silence with lots of transfer/clicking noises. Some waits exceeded 2 minutes of silence before being connected.

~Rob
Old 08-09-2004, 12:21 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
The TeleAid providers undoubtedly give higher priority to "emergency" calls then to "information" or "wrench" calls. That, along with understaffing and the likely tendency of some callers to upgrade their "information" or "wrench" calls to "emergencies", would be enough to explain the delays in getting somebody to pick up.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
The log delays are inexcuseable. Firstly, Teleaid calls are not routed to any division/susidiary of MB USA. The phone dials to a company contracted to handle the calls. The company is a company that handles emergency/hold-up/burglary/break-in calls for a "living". There are many of them, don't assume its the one you see advertised on TV. (I know the name of the company). I have spoken to this response company when they are responding to calls initiated by other than TeleAid equipment, and their response has always been immediate.

Either MB USA is not paying them to staff it with enough operators, or they are overwhelmed for other reasons. The "hold"/ "Call Connected" silent periods are 2 to 5 times as long as they should be. Anyone who has used OnStar even once, can readilly see which service is superior. The fact of the matter is that On Star is simply "run" better than TeleAid. Most of the time, you don't know whether the silence is due to the phone equipment in the car "dropping" the call, Mercedes' sometimes quirky electronics systems, or whether you have been placed on a long silent hold at the monitoring company's end. They should at least play some music on hold... Its a shame.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by Roadkingjack
That implies that each vehicle has a unique phone number so that Teleaid can call you. How do you find out the vehicles phone number?
Hmm, I do not believe that your assumption necessarily holds true. The system does use cellular technology, and each system does have an ESN. There are call center phone numbers stored in the system. These can be accessed via the diagnostic tools.

I can poke around for the phone number, but I don't think it is in there.

-s-
Old 08-09-2004, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by DWP
The TeleAid providers undoubtedly give higher priority to "emergency" calls then to "information" or "wrench" calls. That, along with understaffing and the likely tendency of some callers to upgrade their "information" or "wrench" calls to "emergencies", would be enough to explain the delays in getting somebody to pick up.
Yeah, I know people who are fairly heavy users of TeleAid, and they have learned that their "info" calls get taken care of MUCH faster by using the SOS button. Plus it is easier to reach the SOS button... thus making the wrench and info buttons unused in their cars.

Since ATX (the company that handles TeleAid calls) also handles calls for BMW and Rolls Royce, their call center is utilized for several tasks. Contrary to popular belief, this company only handles telematics calls... nothing else. So they have no other lines of business to help subsidize operators in the call center, thus requiring their staffing to be run without any slack to be able to offer services without pricing higher than it already is.

-s-

Last edited by scorchie; 08-09-2004 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:55 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
I would not get into the habit of using the SOS button for routine calls. Think of it as 911. Let's not simply call for information.