E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Nav screen and cold weather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 01:59 AM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
Nav screen and cold weather

Anyone owners who experience cold weather can maybe chime in here. Does the screen act funny, seem slow or sluggish when the weather gets close to freezing? I'm curious to know how well it can withstand cold temperatures. For example cell phone screens act weird in cold weather.

On a funny note, I was driving today and ripped a fart (Nobody in the car but me). Then I decided to turn on the ventilated seats so as not to get the stink into the seats. I nearly passed out when the gas hit me. Those seats fans really work!
Old 08-13-2004, 09:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
Methane powered cars are an alternate source of fuel
Old 08-13-2004, 09:38 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 / 2001 C240
The seats suck not blow. Youi could have been killed..
Old 08-14-2004, 04:02 AM

I'm not sure how the seats work on your car. However to quote from the mbusa.com website...

"Inside each seat are ten miniature fans which draw cooling air from underneath the seat through perforations in the leather seating surface. Three stages of cooling help to keep you more comfortable on warm days. Includes heating feature."

To which I interpret that as to mean the seats blow air from within the chair to the person sitting on top of it. Given that, I think it makes perfect sense since it would cool off the person's back faster with direct air blowing on it.

However if the seats were to draw air away from the body and into the seats, imagine a scenario where you have a sweaty driver. Just thinking of the buildup of sweat smell and stench over time would be unpleasant.

But regardless, I think we're getting off topic here. C'mon anyone who lives in the cold can comment on the screen? Guess it's just the wrong time to ask.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Science & Grammar Lesson

"Inside each seat are ten miniature fans which draw cooling air from underneath the seat through perforations in the leather seating surface.

For the fans to "draw" the air thru the leather perforations in the seat, the fans would have to be outside the seat on the top side of the seat where your butt is. To draw something thru something else is to "draw in" or suck, not push.. as in: "the moth was drawn to the candle flame..." (...pulled to it, not pushed to it)
For the fans to be under the seat and blow onto your butt thru the perfed leather seat, they would NOT be drawing air thru the perfs, but rather drawing air from under the seat cushion to push thru the perferations.

It is quite clear then that the fans are drawing the air from above the seat cushion (your butt) thru the perfs. As you know the body perspires to cool itself. The cooling effect is created by the persperation evaporating from the skin into the air. The drawing away of the perspiration from your body by the fans is "man made evaporation".

The words "underneath the seat" in the advertising statement made by MB are misplaced grammatically in the sentance and should read :

"Inside each seat are ten miniature fans underneath the seat which draw cooling air through perforations in the leather seating surface. ."

Little tiny quiet seat fans would not be powerfull enough to blow thru the perferations blocked by your butt, so no cooling would take place. Its like covering the output of a air dryer with your hand. No hair would be dried. (by the evaporation, since air flow was blocked)

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 08-14-2004 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM

"Inside each seat are ten miniature fans which draw cooling air from underneath the seat through perforations in the leather seating surface.

For the fans to "draw" the air thru the leather perforations in the seat, the fans would have to be outside the seat on the top side of the seat where your butt is. To draw something thru something else is to "draw in" or suck, not push.. as in: "the moth was drawn to the candle flame..." (...pulled to it, not pushed to it)
For the fans to be under the seat and blow onto your butt thru the perfed leather seat, they would NOT be drawing air thru the perfs, but rather drawing air from under the seat cushion to push thru the perferations.

It is quite clear then that the fans are drawing the air from above the seat cushion (your butt) thru the perfs. As you know the body perspires to cool itself. The cooling effect is created by the persperation evaporating from the skin into the air. The drawing away of the perspiration from your body by the fans is "man made evaporation".

The words "underneath the seat" in the advertising statement made by MB are misplaced grammatically in the sentance and should read :

"Inside each seat are ten miniature fans underneath the seat which draw cooling air through perforations in the leather seating surface. ."

Little tiny quiet seat fans would not be powerfull enough to blow thru the perferations blocked by your butt, so no cooling would take place. Its like covering the output of a air dryer with your hand. No hair would be dried. (by the evaporation, since air flow was blocked)
This is exactly how I understand them to operate also.... Only, I thought there were only six fans not ten...
Old 08-14-2004, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM

[BIt is quite clear then that the fans are drawing the air from above the seat cushion (your butt) thru the perfs.
Quite clear? Perhaps if one has a twisted perspective. For the rest, I think it is quite clear just as it is stated: "Inside each seat are ten miniature fans which draw cooling air from underneath the seat through perforations in the leather seating surface."

Required comprehension skills should be no greater than 4th grade English.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Go back & re-read my complete post.
1> The seats work as I have described. They do NOT blow into your shorts.
2> The MB description contains a grammatical error.
Its not as if that is the only grammatical error they have published. The owners manual contains many of them & contains upside down illustrations too.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:04 AM

Barry makes some good points. I may not agree with him completely, however I'd like to add another factor. If you assume that the air flows from the top of the seats to the inside of the seat, what do you think would happen when the seat heaters are on at the same time? Wouldn't it be safe to assume that any heated air would then be flowing into the seat and not onto the body? Just something else to think about.

What we really need is to have someone pull the seat out and see which way the fans are directed. Next we should have some sort of test performed to see which way the air flow is directed. Anyone willing to volunteer their car seats? If we setup a small smoke generator (like ones used to determine leaks in car door seals) we could see the direction of the smoke.

Let's keep this discussion civil.

Last edited by F1Fan; 08-15-2004 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, one would think that a piece of paper or tissue could be used as a test. If the paper is sucked onto the seat surface, Barry is correct. If it hovers over the seat, the opposite is true.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by levind
Actually, one would think that a piece of paper or tissue could be used as a test. If the paper is sucked onto the seat surface, Barry is correct.
I could care less which way the air flows. Whoever does must have a very boring life. My point is, Barry's attempt to grammatically decipher MB's statement was extremely flawed.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:01 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by Baby Jocko
Quite clear? Perhaps if one has a twisted perspective. For the rest, I think it is quite clear just as it is stated: "Inside each seat are ten miniature fans which draw cooling air from underneath the seat through perforations in the leather seating surface."

Required comprehension skills should be no greater than 4th grade English.
I have to agree with Barry. The MB wording only makes sense if the perforations were actually on the underside of the seat rather than the top surface of the seat.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Don't assume that "underneath the seat" refers to the space between the floor & the very bottom of the seat.

"Underneath the seat" also refers to the seat cushion foam directly below the perforated leather skin of the seat. "The seat" being what you are sitting on, the skin & the foam. That's when the rest of the sentance makes sense.

It is not possible to have little quiet seat fans blowing with such force thru the perforations to cool your ***, where all it takes is a small amount of suction to wick away the heat. Notice also, if there were fans blowing on your butt from the floor up, you would feel the cool immediately, instead of minutes later, when the wicking action starts to work.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:21 PM
Vic

I have already tried it with a sheet of paper. It blows.