E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

You've gotta be kidding me...Harmon Kardon???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2004 | 07:12 PM

You've gotta be kidding me...Harmon Kardon???

First time with the car tailgating and I had the chance to test out the HK system. I don't think it was a fair test though because I think Mercedes accidentally spilled a box of Rice Krispies in the speaker units...Why do I think that you ask...Because all I heard was crackling! Just to give you an idea, I had the stock system in my '02 5 series BMW and then I added a 10" Alpine sub and an amp. The Bimmer kicked butt when tailgating and killed the Benz HK system. The HK was crackling a ton and was cutting out. It was really embarrasing to say the least.

My question is can I add my alpine sub and amp to the HK system to make it respectable? Even with these additions will it be better than the stock BMW system???
Old 08-15-2004 | 12:03 PM
Almost a Member!

Thumbs down

So you are seriously annoyed that Mercedes didn't optimize the sound of the stereo OUTSIDE the car?
Old 08-15-2004 | 12:49 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
It's obvious we cannot expect MB to cater to us audiophiles. Even ones who wont turn the music all the up, will notice, that just like almost every oem audio system, it is inadequate to the discerning ear. For those listening to it everyday, with no car about detail, or ability to handle this and and that, its fine.
Old 08-15-2004 | 12:53 PM

2004 E500 w/ AMG Sport Package
I was very dissapaointed by the HK system myself. My lexus GS300 sounded better. But benz notoriously dont make great audio. they could import this but they of course choose to develop this themselves. Its fine though because my E500 AMG Sport vs. my old Lex GS300 is no comparison. Girls pull me over now, that never happened before and its not because of the HK system. LOL
Old 08-15-2004 | 01:04 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by lyrixmajor
I was very dissapaointed by the HK system myself. My lexus GS300 sounded better. But benz notoriously dont make great audio. they could import this but they of course choose to develop this themselves. Its fine though because my E500 AMG Sport vs. my old Lex GS300 is no comparison. Girls pull me over now, that never happened before and its not because of the HK system. LOL
That's kinda funny, bc for the first three years with my GS4, I had the opposite experience. Maybe bc it was a still a newer model and it was "hot". All the time I had girls tryingto race me, staring at me etc. That thrill is gone. In october ill have the power to just get away from them, bc im too old for these teeny boppers!

In any case, the Nakamichi and Mark Levinson systems will forever be superior to the Benz systems. The bose system in my father's S-class is pretty good, for benz standards though.
Old 08-15-2004 | 01:20 PM

'18 E63S AMG
At lower to middle, the HK system is pretty decent (not awesome). At higher volumes, there is definite distortion. I for one will improve upon the subwoofer at some point.

However, when you look at the typical MB consumer, they aren't likely to be blasting their sound systems anymore, except perhaps for a few seconds to show their passenger, let alone those outside the car.
Old 08-15-2004 | 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
i think the hk system is great

Trending Topics

Old 08-15-2004 | 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
I've discussed this before, but both myself and my friend who both have HK equippped E-Classes, we both thought the system was not very good. Better than the old Blose in the W210, but still was no comparison to my stock GS3 stereo, and was no where near the Blose in the S and my friends SL.

And while I don't think that the average MB driver cares too much about sound, I also doubt the average Lexus owner cares much about sound, either, but yet, their system is superior. But, in either case, that is not an excuse for not putting a good system in an expensive car.
Old 08-15-2004 | 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
So you are seriously annoyed that Mercedes didn't optimize the sound of the stereo OUTSIDE the car?
No "Captain Obvious" but when you open the windows, front doors and trunk you should be able to hear a little of what's going on inside the cabin don't you think It was that way the 5 at least and I didn't even need to open the doors...

Anyway, does anyone know if I can install my AMP and Sub with the HK system? Do you think it will help? If not, I might actually amp up our Lexus instead...
Old 08-16-2004 | 12:17 AM
Almost a Member!

I hope you aren't talking about the standard E39 stereo, because it stunk.

I think they could have done a better job on the HK in this car though. My main two complaints are:

1. The center channel has the midrange about 5 million db too high. I adjusted the crosshair control to about 4 or 5 clicks from the very back of the car to compensate. Big improvement.
2. Not much air or sheen in the high end. Treble sounds like it is coming out of a midrange driver.

Still, with the sound set rearward like I have it, I think it is pretty good for a stock system. Since this is a chargable option though, I think they could have upgraded the drivers and done a better job with the midrange at the front-center speaker.

Here's my biggest complaint: The stupid "automatic" volume adjustment. I still have to adjust it based on noise (windows open etc.), but this moronic thing will keep changing volume up and down when there is no perceptible change in cabin noise. It is a nuisance. If you can't do it right, don't do it at all. You should be able to disable this (like I could on my 3 series BMW). Is this possible?
Old 08-16-2004 | 07:55 AM

1988 560SL (sold); 2001 E430 (sold); 2004 SL500; 2009 CL550
hey Capt - take your car into the dealer and have them turn it all the way down. It will still fluctuate a little bit...but it can be eliminated for the most part. Have an SL500 and I had them do that before I'd take delivery. Also have a 2001 E430 (W210) - in that car it can be turned off completely.

It takes about 5 minutes.
Old 08-16-2004 | 08:01 AM

W211 E270CDI Elegance, Tansanite Blue with Anthracite Leather
What is tailgating????
Old 08-16-2004 | 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by JimW211
What is tailgating????
Tailgating takes place prior to a sporting event or concert. You park the car in one of the lots outside of the venue and then drink, grill, listen to music and socialize with friends... Good times...
Old 08-16-2004 | 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Look under the user name Kyee for the amp and subwoofer mod that he did, and according to him, it sounds good. Of course, he opted for quality components (JL Audio).

I wasn't aware that the sensitivity on the volume adjuster thingy could be changed. I'll have to ask my dealer to do that next time I'm in service. I hate the feature myself, but just be glad it is not as extreme as it is in the ML (horrible). You should be able to just turn it off.

From what I remember when I test drove the E39 back in 2000, with the upgraded stereo (which I think was an HK as well), I thought it was crap, at least back then. I remember that A/D/S had a special upgrade package made just for the E39 in several levels to compensate for the crappiness of the system. I have heard that as of recent years, BMW has improved their audio dramatically. Although, the 745 I drove had the HK Logic 7, and I thought that was crap too.

And if you were to swap the speakers on your Lexus (assuming you have the Pioneer setup in the GS), the sound will be awesome. If you already have the Nak or ML, then with a high quality speaker swap, it will be even better.
Old 08-16-2004 | 12:16 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Hehe...
Old 08-16-2004 | 08:54 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks Gunther. I'll ask them to turn the variable output down to the minimum. I'm glad it is adjustable.

Mine usually turns the volume UP when I slow down or stop... just when it should be turning down. Very strange.
Old 08-16-2004 | 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Thanks Gunther. I'll ask them to turn the variable output down to the minimum. I'm glad it is adjustable.

Mine usually turns the volume UP when I slow down or stop... just when it should be turning down. Very strange.
Gunther is referring to the speed-dependent volume, which on his SL and E-classes, can be adjusted. (Well, Gunther's owner was saying that, since Gunther is the car. )

I don't believe there is an adjustment for the interior noise adjustment... I was looking in WIS today and it mentions nothing about it. It does mention that the microphone is connected to directly to the audio gateway, rather than using the handsfree microphone connected to the MOST-bus. This means that it would be a simple operation to do what is done on the cars with the Bose AudioPilot, which is just unplug the microphone.

It's probably something you would have to do yourself though, as the dealer might not want to do such a thing.

-s-
Old 08-17-2004 | 04:52 AM

S55L AMG
I have the Harmon Kardon in my E500 and I think it sounds great.

Luxury1, I really dont see what the problem is. If you wanted to park up and open all the doors, windows and the boot and listen to your stereo outside the car then you bought the wrong car.

Would you buy a Rolex and complain that it hasn't got a digital alarm or a calculator on it? Would you buy tailor made shoes and complain that they are no good for running in?
Old 08-17-2004 | 07:13 AM

1988 560SL (sold); 2001 E430 (sold); 2004 SL500; 2009 CL550
"Gunther is referring to the speed-dependent volume, which on his SL and E-classes, can be adjusted. (Well, Gunther's owner was saying that, since Gunther is the car. )"

Oh sure Scorchie - give away ALL my secrets - LOL.
Old 08-17-2004 | 08:01 AM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by rob940

Luxury1, I really dont see what the problem is. If you wanted to park up and open all the doors, windows and the boot and listen to your stereo outside the car then you bought the wrong car.

Would you buy a Rolex and complain that it hasn't got a digital alarm or a calculator on it? Would you buy tailor made shoes and complain that they are no good for running in?
I dunno about the tailor analogy.. but the rolex thing is on. For those that want something more out of the sound system, in accuracy and volume, we can always get something custom done by an expert aftermarket installer. with the specific equipment required for what we want.

But that doesnt mean that the E500 hk system, isnt inferior to the lexus systems. Always has been, and will prob be for the foreseeable future. Its just that for the average everyday user, it is adequate.
Old 08-17-2004 | 08:10 AM

'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
And remember, most E-classes are sold without the HK option.
Old 08-17-2004 | 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by rob940

Why did I buy the wrong car? I did this same thing with my '02 5 series? What difference does it make what type of car it is???

I have never had one complaint about my rolex (only others that are blinded by the diamonds ) and I buy my shoes off the rack so I can't relate. I really don't agree with the analogy at all because 1. The car is equipped with an upgraded sound system and I knew this prior to purchase (calculator analogy) and 2. the sound system is made to put out great sound - that is the intent (shoe analogy).

I do not feel that it is unreasonable to ask that a speciality option on the car perform at the highest level of volumes that it allows you to set. The crackeling and cutting out is also experienced when I have it blasting when driving down the road at 80 mph with the windows open (to eliminate the tailgating scenario completely).
Old 08-17-2004 | 06:49 PM

2004 E500 w/ AMG Sport Package
i agree. i'm a very detailed guy myself. some people may not care that the hk system is peforming at optimum level but i do.

i have carried my car in once already for the radio (they replaced some part) the crackling i wouldnt put up with but static you will have to live with when playing radio. when playing cd's, bump up the volume. once its not a homemade cd or bootleg, it should play properly. if it doesnt, carry the car in.
Old 08-17-2004 | 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
I Bought The Wrong Watch

Yeah, I bought a Rolex Oyster Day/Date. When I took it back to the jeweler & complained that I had to re set it to the correct time every 10 days, and I thought I had bought an "official timekeeper" she hissed at me:
"There's nothing wrong with your watch, it's not a timekeeper, its a moneykeeper...You want a timekeeper? Buy a Citizen..."

I now wear a Tag Heuer 6000 series Chrono. Accurate to 4 seconds a YEAR.

Moral of the story? If rattling your license plate to the sound of loud music is your thing, get a used $10,000 Honda, wallpaper the windows with black tint film, improperly hang a cat back exhaust system on it so it loosely swings around under the car & put an $8,000 stereo in it.

The E class, like most cars, is designed for the 80th percentile... (how 80% of the people who they expect to buy one, will want to use one). :v

I know this post sounds "snarky" but the more I typed, the better I felt! Must have been a rough day for me. Later guys!

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 08-17-2004 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2004 | 10:33 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM

Moral of the story? If rattling your license plate to the sound of loud music is your thing, get a used $10,000 Honda, wallpaper the windows with black tint film, improperly hang a cat back exhaust system on it so it loosely swings around under the car & put an $8,000 stereo in it.
Ok hold on. As someone who appreciated the arena of competition Sound Quality sound systems, that was a bit out of place. ANY audiophile that poured that kind of money into a sound system, would almost ALWAYS entail a THOROUGH sound deadening of the entire car. You think a benz is quiet now? Try it after doing all that to it. Thats so its CLEAN..you hear NO garbage, and very little to alter the sound as it was recorded. Those same systems can go loud as well without cracking. Can this be done in a honda? you bet. Is it done by the typical teenager driving the car you mention? no, bc they dont have the cash or dont care to.

We are owners of expensive cars... NONE of us expect it to have a competition audio system in it. But something comparable to lexus would be nice. Thats all. Oh and dont lump all us audio freaks in with the idiots with the rattling trunks. That was a bit uncalled for. Just bc you cant hear the difference, and LARGE difference at that, betw audio systems, doesnt mean mercedes did fine with it. For the typical 50, 60 year old who cant hear the difference, its fine im sure.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: You've gotta be kidding me...Harmon Kardon???