E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Nav/CD Changer installs in Texas (Cali soon too)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Nav/CD Changer installs in Texas (Cali soon too)

If anyone's interested in a installation of a navigation DVD drive, COMAND for a 2003 car, or a CD changer, and maybe any wood/leather steering wheels that are in stock... in Texas, there will be installs from the August 21st-25th in Austin and Houston (Dallas if there's enough interest). Please mail Wanda at steve@mbenznl.com to coordinate, if you're interested. Schedule will be finalized Wednesday so please make any deposits before then.

If you're in California, Steve's trip there is late September and early October, so please plan ahead for that too! He needs more time to get things shipped for California, so try and get your requests/deposits in early.

Thanks!

-s-

p.s. sorry if you've seen this thread in other areas... it's only directed at W203, W209 and W211 owners!
Old 08-15-2004, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
I read your site and I have a question.

I am mainly interested in listening to mp3's and from what I have read, the Euro COMAND can read DVD's. Does it read mp3's on DVD's and display their information?

How expensive is the exchange?

Are the units new?

Is it more cost effective then a 6cd changer?

I am in Canada but am I right to assume that I have the American version of the COMAND? It looks like the American version.

Am I to assume that you ahve already confirmed that a audio DVD does not play in the American version?

I have a 2005 CDI.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Spartan
I read your site and I have a question.

I am mainly interested in listening to mp3's and from what I have read, the Euro COMAND can read DVD's. Does it read mp3's on DVD's and display their information?

How expensive is the exchange?

Are the units new?

Is it more cost effective then a 6cd changer?

I am in Canada but am I right to assume that I have the American version of the COMAND? It looks like the American version.

Am I to assume that you ahve already confirmed that a audio DVD does not play in the American version?

I have a 2005 CDI.

1) yes, MP3 information from DVDs is displayed on the display. Search here in for forum for more information, Oslo has posted quite a bit.

2) the price of the exchange cannot be determined because current stock is depleted and Steve won't have pricing until new units are acquired

3) the units may be new, may be renewed, at the time of order it can be told. Pricing normally varies between new and renewed and that is also noted. Sometimes both options are available.

4) no, I don't believe it is as cost-effective as a 6 CD changer with MP3, however the Euro COMAND has one MP3 feature that nothing else has, and that is to play DVDs holding MP3 files

5) Canadians generally do get the US COMAND

6) Audio DVD meaning encoded CD audio, or MP3 encoded DVD? It is possible that someone gets a "wrong" unit but all the US ones we've tested will not play anything on DVDs. Steve has US-spec units which will play MP3s; but that gives you one CD of MP3s. The CD changer plays 6 CDs of MP3s although you don't get the file information (ID3 tags), just file names (from what I've seen in my car).

I thought 2005 cars came with MP3 playing capability... I guess some of the early CDIs might be before the changeover.

-s-
Old 08-15-2004, 04:21 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by Spartan
Some of the very first US spec comands were able to mplay DVDs BUT these units do not remember where the DVD stopped when the car was switched off and the DVD will start at the beginning over and over again when the car is switched on...these units were only used for a very short time in the first couple of US cars with comand.
The later US spec comands can be forced to accept DVDs BUT as soon as they do accept DVDs and play DVDs you won't get to see anything as the US spec comands do not have the hardware needed to encode and display the video signals.

greetingz,
Old 08-16-2004, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
Please let me know some more details re the wood/leather steering wheel. I am planning to be out of country at that time of your visit to Texas however this could change. Costs, time of install and if you will be making a visit to Dallas are specific Q's. TIA
Jay

BTW, I sent you an email. Need to make travel plans per your response.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, ajm0824 has done a test and found that the 2005 US-spec units will play MP3s on DVD, as well as MP3s in the CD changer.

Now we just need that software update...

-s-
Old 08-17-2004, 04:10 PM

[QUOTE=scorchie]If anyone's interested in a installation of a navigation DVD drive, COMAND for a 2003 car, or a CD changer, and maybe any wood/leather steering wheels that are in stock... in Texas, there will be installs from the August 21st-25th in Austin and Houston (Dallas if there's enough interest). Please mail Wanda at steve@mbenznl.com to coordinate, if you're interested. Schedule will be finalized Wednesday so please make any deposits before then.

If you're in California, Steve's trip there is late September and early October, so please plan ahead for that too! He needs more time to get things shipped for California, so try and get your requests/deposits in early.

Thanks!

-s-
Ok, for the third time, would someone contact me by PM/email or here on this thread and let me know about the QWood/Leather steering wheel. Also will you be in Dallas. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by saffrontiger
Ok, for the third time, would someone contact me by PM/email or here on this thread and let me know about the QWood/Leather steering wheel. Also will you be in Dallas. Thanks.
Sorry you weren't answered by mail right away Jay. Sometimes it's hard to keep up with messages in posts, too. Or, you could just e-mail me directly. Click on the profile link and you should be able to send me an e-mail.

It will help in your e-mail if you list the type of car you need the wheel for (so we don't need to look you up on MBWorld) and what kind of wheel you would like (wood comes in different types, the leather comes in different colors).

Then we can let you know if it is in stock or not.

I don't think Dallas will be on this trip because we couldn't get enough people together at such short notice... but if it's not this time, it will be soon. Sorry again for delaying your travel plans, I think it is just Austin/San Antonio/Houston this trip.

-s-
Old 08-17-2004, 10:06 PM

Thanks. Check PM plz
Jay
Old 08-17-2004, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by saffrontiger
Thanks. Check PM plz