E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

How much engine rise with good engine mounts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 08:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
How much engine rise with good engine mounts?

I had my engine mounts replaced at 110,000 miles roughly 70,000 miles ago. I had taken it in for rough idling and because it was throwing codes. The first thing the mechanic did was replace the engine mounts. I wish I had even considered them, because I would have performed a power brake test in drive and reverse before and after the repair so that I could recognize the difference. But, I didn't. When the idling got better, but the codes returned, it became clear that I had more than one problem. Not knowing that the engine mounts are only supposed to last 100,000 miles, I even wondered if the "smoother idle" was merely a placebo effect.

Youtube will show lots of videos of engines with bad motor mounts.

My engine doesn't rise up nearly as much as the ones on the youtube videos...but I don't know if a little bit of engine rising is within specs, or not. I can't find a video of an "after" repair, nor of a power brake test to see how mine compares. I would say my engine rises 3/4" both in reverse and in drive.

Can anybody advise me? Is 3/4" engine rise proof of engine mounts in need of repair? The rough idle is pretty subtle...but not something I'd like to ignore since it will obviously get worse if it's failing (but not yet completely failed) engine mounts. Nor would I like to mistakenly attribute some other fault to innocent engine mounts.