E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Question about passenger seat WSS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 11:33 AM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2005 E320
Question about passenger seat WSS

So I've run into what apparently is a common issue with my airbag light being on due to a failing Weight Sensing System (WSS) in my front passenger seat frame. I was able to locate the failed sensor using my scan tool and replace it with one from a junkyard, but the plastic washer/bushing that goes on the bolt that holds the seat to the sensor turned to dust from age and now the seat rocks. To make matters worse I broke the bolt when retightening it, and after all that now a different sensor has failed according to my scan tool. These sensors and even the bolts are extremely expensive new, so I'm looking at a couple different options.

1. - Replace the whole seat with a used one, which I have found at a good price which would be the cheapest and easiest route but also a bit of a crap shoot since the replacement seat could have bad sensors or brittle plastic washers also.

2. - Upgrade both front seats with heated seats, so that at least I get a bit of an upgrade for my trouble. The crap shoot aspect from option 1 still applies on the sensors, and this would cost a bit more and be more involved but I have been wanting to add heated seats anyway.

3. - The most interesting option so far has been to replace the front seats with ones from a 2003 that didn't come with WSS and use one of the $75 emulator boxes from Airbag360 to "fix" the airbag light. This would eliminate the possibility of my passenger seat becoming loose and rattling in the future due to self destructing plastic washers, and I could try to find a pair that are heated and still get what I want there.

My question is this, if I go with option 3, would the earlier seats be compatible with my car? Mine is a 2005 so still pre-facelift but they are different seats. Can anyone shed any light on this? Also I'm open to suggestions for other ideas. One that I had was to get a seat frame from a UK car since the driver's seat does not have WSS anyway and their driver's seat is our passenger seat but I could not find one for sale with full power adjustments. Apparently a lot of the ones over there had manual adjustment for front to back.

Thanks for your help and ideas!