E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2008 E320 Trunk could not open/FIXED

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E320 Blutec
2008 E320 Trunk could not open/FIXED

I tried everything that I read on this forum to open the trunk of my 2008 E320 Blutec. No luck. After 4 months of trying and gathering information on how the trunk locks and unlocks, I figured it out. I would use this procedure as a last resort and I don't guarantee results, but this worked for me.

If you try this, you will have to buy a new/used trunk handle assembly because you will have to drill holes in the old one. I picked up a used one, with a key on E-Bay for $85. I decided to replace the trunk lock/unlock assembly as well because while trying for 4 months to unlock the trunk, I damaged/stretched the cable that that runs from the trunk lock/unlock assembly to the trunk handle assembly. I bought a new one for $135 total.

Step 1- Drill/cut slot to access trunk unlock actuator/white piece of plastic

I used a small step bit to drill the holes. You might be able to use a Dremel tool or some other tool. I started in the left/drivers side corner of the trunk handle assembly closet to the trunk/front of car. Don't drill too deep because you might drill/damage the cable. You will be drilling up and toward the front of the car. I drilled holes from left to right so I could make a slot about 2 inches long. Once again, not to deep. You are trying to gain access to a white piece of plastic. Try not to drill/damage the white plastic. It has a cable attached to it that is also attached to the trunk lock/unlock assembly. That white plastic is the key to opening your trunk.

Step 2- Unlock trunk using mechanical key and push/pry/pull trunk unlock actuator

Once you have the slot drilled, ***IMPORTANT***unlock the trunk using the mechanical key in your key fob. Insert the key and rotate to the left/counterclockwise. Counterclockwise is the unlocked position. About ¾'s of an inch from the left side of the trunk handle assembly you will see a “step” on the white plastic, it runs fore and aft. Insert a screwdriver in the slot and push/pry/pull the “step” on the white piece of plastic to the right/passengers side. Probably best to push/pry/pull on the farthest aft part of the “step” that you can access. Trunk opened, very happy. I had 2 bottles of vodka in the trunk. Time to celebrate. Thanks to my son, Tanner, for helping.

The following site shows how to replace the trunk handle assembly:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm

First picture- Trunk handle assembly with slots drilled/cut *** Notice "step" on white plastic toward left side.

Picture of the white plastic unlock actuator from the top in the unlocked position, cable not shown/attached

Picture of trunk lock/unlock mechanism with cable that attaches to the white plastic trunk handle mechanism