Easy Entry/Exit not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 w/ AMG Sport Package
Easy Entry/Exit not working

ANy ideas.

i have it set to steering and seat but only the steering moves. and my seat is not far back at all.

Is it worth resetting all the settings?
Old 08-21-2004, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Mine has been like that since day 1 Dec 23 2003! The seat has moved twice. (Admitedly I drive pretty far back, but if I move the seat pretty forward just for shts & giggles before I shut down & open the door, shouldn't the seat move rearward when I open the door???) Not great engineering.

You can reprogram all you want. It'll do what it wants! Otherwise my car has been perfect.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:13 PM

W211 & Q7
you have to set to key dependent and

set easy exit feature for ALL keys. (make sure all of keys work, you may need to try few times)

the only problem I have is

seat moves to the last person positon before it moves to mine.
e.g. the seat moves to my wife position (after she drives) then moves back to mine but my wife is tiny so my feet are squeezed before the seat moves to the correct postion. (I don't know why the seat cannot move to the correct postion first time by reading the data from my key -- forget the last driver data. of course, mb can even do it perfectly by adjust seats, mirrors, etc. after you disarm your car via your key.)
Old 08-21-2004, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
What about my keyless entry?
Old 08-21-2004, 04:38 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
Mine works most of the time but I have had only the steering wheel move up. The next day things go back to where the seat moves back and the steering wheel goes up.
I think this is one of the features that will be removed from the cars in an attempt to eliminate things that aren't reliable.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:18 PM

06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
Are some of you aware that you can set those parameters through your display on the speedometer?
Old 08-22-2004, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
How many Key recognitions are there?

All you can do there is turn it on or off, select seat & wheel, or wheel only, and select "key dependent" or not.

No parameters. The system would work better if you had to program in & memorize an exit position for the seat to assume, as well as a driving position memory. I believe, if the system does move rearward, it moves to a factory set exit position. If your NORMAL driving position is past that factory exit setting, no additional movement takes place, even though there is additional rearward travel available on request.

And speaking of key dependent.... With the Keyless Go option in the car, the car DOES consider smartkeys 1 and 2 individually, and keyless start w/ smartkey 1 in your pocket, and keyless start with smartkey 2 in your pocket, a total of 4 different "keys", not just 2 different keys.

I am now sure that my car assumes 2 different sets of settings depending on whether I put the smartkey in the ignition switch or start with the keyless go button. (Key dependent is selected)

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 08-22-2004 at 11:08 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 08-22-2004, 12:13 PM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Mine has been an issue since day one. Understanding all the settings etc... The damm seat occasionally , when unlocking the door with the smart key, moves all the way FORWARD up against the wheel. This requires I lean in, insert the key, start the car, or at least turn key to on, and hit the appropriate memory button for it to return to the set position.

This happens even if the easy entry/exit function is OFF. Dealer has no idea so they just keep replacing the unit. Go figure.

We are on what will now be the third unit that controls this. Should be installed this week.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Easy Exit\Entrance has been discussed at great length on this forum.

I was not satisfied with how mine was operating and the garage just kept saying, "Everything is working okay" Anyway eventually a technician came round to my house. He spent three or fours hours working on my vehicle sorting out various little niggles. He reprogrammed the onboard computer system and got the seats to work perfectly.

I was then informed that the seat will only move back a short distance for the 'Easy Exit' option. For persons that are 'well endowed' in the vertical plane. (tall) There is a further adjustment that can be carried out by the STAR computer. This option allows the seat to move back another 2cm or so. I would recommend that you all take up this option. It takes seconds to carry out, and it then gives peace of mind that the system works.

If you are 'playing' with the option, don't forget it will not work properly with the door open.

Good luck,
John
Torquay
Old 08-22-2004, 04:59 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
I have the feature set to move the wheel only.

The operation with the seat was erratic and too slow. The wheel only function is working great though.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
I sell real estate and am in and out of my car a zillion times a day. Fortunately, my easy entry/exit has always worked fine. Reading the manual might help on this one. I remember the set-up being kind of tricky, but mine has worked fine once I figured how to set it up properly. Good luck. It's a great feature and worth the effort to get it right.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
The only set up criteria I see are selecting:
Wheel only or
Wheel and seat
Key Dependent - Y/N

I see NO other set up available to me anywhere... What else am I missing?
Isn't the seat supposed to go to a factory preset exit position upon either by suhtting down & removing the key or shutting down with keyless go & opening the door?

If I unlock the car & move the seat back before I get in, isnt the seat supposed to move forward and the wheel drop when I either put the key in or start w/ keyless go? Only my wheel drops. The seat only sometimes moves forward. (Set for wheel & seat w/ Key dependent on)
Old 08-23-2004, 04:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
If I unlock the car & move the seat back before I get in, isnt the seat supposed to move forward and the wheel drop when I either put the key in or start w/ keyless go? Only my wheel drops. The seat only sometimes moves forward. (Set for wheel & seat w/ Key dependent on)
Hi Barry,
If your onboard computer is working correctly and you have programmed your seating position onto your keys memory?? I would strongly recommend that you do NOT insert the ignition key until you have got in and CLOSED your door.

There may be members on this forum that can insert the ignition key whilst they have not closed the drivers door and the seat works fine!!! I accept what they say, but that certainly would not work on my own vehicle. I would like the car to be able to read the keys memory and program the seat as soon as the key is inserted, but that is not the case.

I have no knowledge of how the 'keyless' option works and the above comments are only for those that have the standard 211 ignition key.

This is a very nice option and I would not be happy if it failed to work correctly.

Bye for now,
John
A very wet Torquay
Old 08-23-2004, 06:43 AM
mhh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 MB E63 Wagon, 2012 BMW M5, 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2010 Ferrari 458
Oh dear. I thought this was a C class problem only, and I was looking forward to my new E500 not having the same problem as my 2002 C32. Looks like I'd better get used to it.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mhh
Oh dear. I thought this was a C class problem only, and I was looking forward to my new E500 not having the same problem as my 2002 C32. Looks like I'd better get used to it.
Noooo!!!!!!
The E-class is an excellent vehicle, that unfortunately suffers from a few teething problems.

This is an EXCELLENT forum where a few people have experienced problems with their 211. I am touching my wooden head as I type this because my vehicle has 'quite a few' eletronic options and they are ALL now working perfectly and I am sure that I am not alone in having a vehicle that is 'in full working order'.

When I read the complaints, most are quickly resolved, I believe the most on-going problem is of the vehicle 'pulling' to one side. However this again is not common and is something that fortunately I have not experienced. (I wonder if it has anything to do with the choice of tyre?)

Please don't be put off by what you read here, but take hope that most issues are quickly dealt with.

Just make sure that the dealer has a good reputation and most importantly a GOOD service department.

Good luck,
John
A windy Torquay
Old 08-23-2004, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
I'd have to agree with Glojo. Considering all of the electronics in this car, and all of the options, I've had no problems to speak of. Although it is not completely true, I have told people (and I accept as true) that this is the 1st car I have ever owned that did not have to go back to the dealer within 2 weeks & every 6 weeks thereafter to fix something that fell off/failed to operate. I did have to repair a rear end seal at 4 months, which is no way a usuall repair, and was unique to my car not the model, so I don't count it.

Other than this obtusely designed Easy Exit feature the car works 99% flawlessly. It would be 100% if it had Japanese designed electronics, but that is what the Japanese do. The Germans on the other hand, generally excell in the mechanical engineering end, which is why in 15 years someone will be loving my '04 E, and the '04 Lexus's will be a footnote in early 2000's automotive history, as there'll be none around.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:41 AM
lig

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
The Germans on the other hand, generally excell in the mechanical engineering end, which is why in 15 years someone will be loving my '04 E, and the '04 Lexus's will be a footnote in early 2000's automotive history, as there'll be none around.

uhhh... Barry - I appreciate you enthusiasm for your car but your assertion that either:

A. Lexus will no longer be on the market in 2019

or

B. An '04 Lexus won't be in working order

is just wrong.

Have you ever owned a Lexus? Ours is a '92 with 158K on the clock and we still get random strangers offering to buy it. It both looks and runs great.

My wife doesn't want to sell it because it is just working so well and she likes the road "feel" better than the E320. In fairness - it has upgraded wheels and tires and Eibach springs w/upgraded shock inserts as well.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Generally speaking... and ALL generalizations stink, including this one... yeah, the MB will outlast the Lexus. Not the Brand, the individual car that someone owns. MBs are built like tanks, Lexus's are not. (Tghey're built well enough for a "typical" lifespan) That partially explains the difference in purchase cost. However, for most people the point is moot since most people will keep a primary luxury car 3 years to 5 years at the most. So how long they actually last isn't really that important to the typical Lux car buyer.

When Lexus achieves the status of a Benz, it will beat MB at the Lux car game. They can't buy or create "status" it comes in time. They just haven't been around long enough.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:54 AM
lig

o.k. - so you believe the Benz will last longer but it really doens't matter because people buy luxury cars and turn them over every 2-3 years.

In your mind the superior "image" of M-B justifies the price differential and the inferior reliability.

got it.

Last edited by lig; 08-23-2004 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lig
o.k. - so you believe the Benz will last longer but it really doens't matter because people buy luxury cars and turn them over every 2-3 years.

In your mind the superior "image" of M-B justifies the price differential and the inferior reliability.

got it.
I can understand exactly what Barry is saying.

Volkswagen are producing a luxury car called a Phaeton. This has taken off like a lead balloon. It has all the bells of an 'S' class and all the whistles of a Lexus, BUT, it is not selling????

In the UK the top model Lexus is also not a popular vehicle, I do not even know where there dealership is. The local Toyota dealer certainly does not sell Lexus. Having said that they are more popular than the Phaeton.

The reputation of a vehicle is earnt over a period of time. It is possible that Lexus will develop that name, there product is excellent and the quality sometimes is something that Mercedes-Benz can learn from.

(My personal opinion is that Mercedes-Benz MUST work harder on its quality control and put this in front of the 'numbers sold' priority)

I am not saying Mercedes-Benz is better than a Lexus, and neither am I saying the Phaeton is worse than either. At the end of the day it is your money and your choice.

Bye for now,
John
Windy Torquay
Old 08-23-2004, 12:34 PM
lig

I don't dispute that M-B has more cachet than Lexus.

I do think that saying a Lexus will not be running in 15 years is ridiculous however.

I went through a phase where I spent a lot of money on clothes. I splurged once and bought a Brioni suit. Yes - it was expensive - but the quality of the fabric and the hand made nature of the suit were obvious to me.

The difference between my E320 in terms of price vs. Lexus is less obvious to me.

I used to view M-B as the Brioni of cars - not any more. IMO M-B is more like the machine made designer suits available today like Hugo Boss or Armani white label.

My lease is up in March and I'm not likely to go with another Benz unless I come into a substantial amount of money in the mean time. - If that were to happen - I'll get an SL55. Love that car.

just my .02
Old 08-23-2004, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by lig

got it.
Exactly. Works for Tiffany's too. And Rolex.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:54 PM
lig

I thought I read you were in the optical business - I saw a $1,200 Cartier frame the other day. yikes!!!

I'm still looking for a Stainless Daytona for below MSRP. :LOL: Somehow I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon...

I have been a label **** in the past - and will always be one to a degree.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Cartier frames are limited distribution products (They aren't really distributed by Cartier, but by a frame company that licenses the name as is the norm in this biz.) They prefer to sell large quantities of frames to a small amount of dealers, rather than sell to everyone. We are not an "authorized dealer" for them, since we are a discounter, which they won't permit... or I'd offer to help a bud out.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:04 PM
lig

Thanks, Barry. Makes perfect sense to me.

Even my Maui Jims look like they were made by Silhouette (sp?)

Same ti frames and nose pads...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Easy Entry/Exit not working