E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Easy Entry/Exit not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 w/ AMG Sport Package
But we all chose to buy a benz. Why? The damn name and the engineering.

Electronic problems are minor to me. MB will always have cars that the engine and transmission will run you forever once properly taken care of and manufactured.

I agree with the fact that MB needs to have a tighter quality control. I mean they probably spend less money if it was engineered properly the first time. But business is business and I understand you dont make any money until the product is out the door.

With that said....my uncle (has a 2004 CLK 320) and aunt (has a 2003 C320) have the same Easy Entry Exit problem.

This has gotta be a design problem then...does anyone have it working?
In that case I'm bringing my car into the dealership...

Last edited by lyrixmajor; 08-23-2004 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Some people's seats do have this problem and some don't. (I also think that the engineers as well as the customers ar not on the same pages as to how this option (should) works. We have different expectations of it. The feature in the Cadillac is so simple and it works every time, so it can't be that dificult to accomplish!) There really is no great reason why these cars have these seat problems, but when you consider the problems they had with the '03s, (and coming into the 21st century marketing preferences/manufacturing demands) they have come light years in just about a year. Bear in mind that MB USA is not the manufacturer, merely an authorized distributor of the finished product as designed by MB in Germany. (Although MB USA sells enough cars here to be able to dictate SOME design demands as long as they suit MB/DE).

MB is changing so that its product is a classic beauty again, loaded with all the latest gee whiz electronics that work. It was a rude awakening, but at least they realized what a problem they had, and got right on it to fix. GM would have waited until the next model revision to make the repairs/upgrades/patches.

Even with all the bad press, their reputation was maintained, even though people questioned why. Unless they let the reputation erode further, a Benz is a Benz, alone in a class by itself.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 08-23-2004 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by lig
I thought I read you were in the optical business - I saw a $1,200 Cartier frame the other day. yikes!!!

I'm still looking for a Stainless Daytona for below MSRP. :LOL: Somehow I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon...

I have been a label **** in the past - and will always be one to a degree.
I sometimes get in trouble for humorous posts but!!!!!!

A yuppie parks his posh Lexus in front of his office to show it off to his
colleagues. As he's getting out of the car, a truck comes speeding along and
takes off the door. The yuppie grabs his mobile and calls 999. Five minutes
later, when a Police Constable arrives, the yuppie is still screaming: "My Lexus! My
beautiful Lexus is ruined!"
The policeman shakes his head. "I can't believe how materialistic you
yuppies are," he says. "You lot are so focused on your possessions that you
don't notice anything else. Don't you realise your arm was also torn off
by the truck?"
The yuppie looks down in horror and screams: "MY ROLEX!!!!!!"

Have a nice day!!!

John
Old 08-26-2004, 10:59 AM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Old 09-26-2004, 07:48 AM

easy exit seat function still doesnt work.....i think i'm going to bring this up at my next service..
Old 09-26-2004, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lyrixmajor
easy exit seat function still doesnt work.....i think i'm going to bring this up at my next service..
Why wait? If either the option is not working or perhaps it might not be correctly set (please do not think I am accusing you) then surely a short visit to the dealer would be beneficial.

I appreciate it might not be convienant, but I would hate to have something not working correctly on my vehicle.

Take care,
John
Sunny but cool day in Torquay
Old 09-26-2004, 12:46 PM

i know what you mean....but with all the electronic gadgets i have i would be their every week...LOL

i just make a list and wait until i have no choice but to go...

list so far...
Radio went off a few times…Had to turn off car for a few minutes to get radio back
Memory Setting for Steering Wheel not returned sometimes when car started
EZ Exit Feature that makes seat go back has never worked
Brakes seem to be squeaking sometimes
How to set key dependent

see what i mean...LOL
Old 09-26-2004, 01:01 PM

Whichever one is available (1 of 5)
You paid that much money for a car, any problem, not matter how small or big, take it to the dealer and get it fixed. I had a problem w/some electronics in my E500, and I took it back to dealer. They fixed w/settings in Star diagnostics. I had slight problem with watch bracelet(band) on my Rolex Daytona, I took it back and got a new one. So any problem, no matter how small, take it back and get it fixed.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:24 PM

i do.....in fact i'm pretty **** about it....i just prefer to drive my car most of the time....and then have them do a chunk of work.....i have carried it back in immediately sometimes....example...the driver seat was squeaking...couldnt deal with that....some things can wait....other cant...
Old 09-26-2004, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lyrixmajor
i have carried it back in immediately sometimes....example...the driver seat was squeaking...couldnt deal with that....some things can wait....other cant...

It is your car, and your choice,

Nice car, with nice options,
Regards,
John
Dusk in Torquay
Old 01-13-2005, 11:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
Well, it seems to have a mind of its own. It will either not work at all (most frequent), only the column moves (sometimes), or it works with the seat and column (rarely).

I've followed the settings suggested here.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TPAbnz
Well, it seems to have a mind of its own. It will either not work at all (most frequent), only the column moves (sometimes), or it works with the seat and column (rarely).

I've followed the settings suggested here.
I strongly recommend you read the last few entries on this thread ------>

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/87829-e320cdi-avantgarde-14-months-old-what-pain.html

Good luck and I am hoping it will have resolved my problems.

John
Old 01-13-2005, 05:47 PM

2005 E320 4-Matic
My question is, when I use my smartkey, it does not go to my memory position until I put the key in the ignition. This is a problem, because my wife sits a lot closer to the steering wheel, and when I unlock the car after she has been in I have to reach into the car and insert the key before it goes to my setting. Is there something I should be doing to have it work when I hit the smart key unlock button?
Old 01-13-2005, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by petesE320
My question is, when I use my smartkey, it does not go to my memory position until I put the key in the ignition. This is a problem, because my wife sits a lot closer to the steering wheel, and when I unlock the car after she has been in I have to reach into the car and insert the key before it goes to my setting. Is there something I should be doing to have it work when I hit the smart key unlock button?
Hi Pete,
When your wife gets out the seat should go to the 'Easy Exit' position. This position might not be far enough back for those who are 'Vertically well endowed'

To overcome this, there is a setting in the Star Diagnostics that allow the seat to be moved even further back, thus allowing you to get into the vehicle much easier. The star Diagnostics equipment is held by the Dealership.

Regards,
John
Old 01-13-2005, 06:06 PM

2005 E320 4-Matic
Thanks glojo, Now that you mention it, I don't think we turned on that feature using her key, we just did with mine. But is there a way to have it move to the position when you unlock with the smartkey?
Old 01-13-2005, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by petesE320
But is there a way to have it move to the position when you unlock with the smartkey?
Hi Pete,
To my knowledge NO! but I certainly wish there was. However if you do as I suggest then the question is academic. The seat will be a good way back.

Regards,
John
Old 01-14-2005, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
One of the programming choices on this feature that my '02 Caddy had was whether the movement should initiate on "unlock" or "key in ignition". The Benz does NOT have this option which it should have for the feature to be usefull when you get to the car to get in & drive away.

Despite what the dealer says it does not work properly even though much of the time it works as designed. (Not ALL the time, Heaven knows why.) It should also have an exit position that the DRIVER sets the memory position for, (like the downward parking mirror memorization) for the feature to be fully functional.

Been saying this since day 1.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:51 PM

2005 E320 4-Matic
Barry,
Could not agree with you more. When I read about the option, and saw key dependency, my first thought was it would respond when you hit the unlock button. Hell, my parents 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee did it!! Isn't that part of the Daimler family?
Old 01-14-2005, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
You really DONT want the seat to move up when you unlock. When you unlock, you want the seat to be in or return to the EXIT position so you can slide in easily. You want the seat to move up when the key is inserted into the ign switch or you press keeyless go start button.

The problem is the seat does not always go to the far rearward position on power off, & there's no telling whether the seat will move forward or back looking for your pre set driving position when you put the key in the ignition upon your return. I think the engineers have it set so that it allways moves forward to look for your driving position coodinates (wrongly assuming that the seat HAD been all the way back) even if the seat was not in the far rearward exit psition, the module assumes it was, so going forward seems logical to look for your driving position. I wish MB usa would let me explain this to their people!

Its simple:
1. Turn off car & remove key. Seat moves all the way back, wheel moves all the way up. Lock car, walk away

2. Walk back to car, press remote UNLOCK or touch keyless go door handle, Seat must move all the way back if NOT already there, wheel must move all the way up if not already there.

3. Get into car.

4. Put key into ignition, wheel lowers & seat moves forward to pre set driving position.

5. Start car & drive. What the hell is so difficult people? It aint as complex as a cup holder !!!
Old 01-15-2005, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
When you unlock, you want the seat to be in or return to the EXIT position so you can slide in easily. You want the seat to move up when the key is inserted into the ign switch or you press keeyless go start button.
Hi Barry,
I am beginning to sound like a record that has got stuck. So I will change my approach.

Have you asked your dealership to check on their Star Diagnostic equipment to see if they can alter the settings of the seat?

By default the drivers seat goes to a set position. By using the diagnostic computer the technician can alter this setting and make the seat move back to a new permanent position. The computer instructs the technician to obtain the owners permission to do this. (It is possible that this facility is not available in the US, or perhaps dealers will not do it)

If this setting is applied the seat will do EXACTLY what you propose. It is available in the UK, it is an excellent option that is designed for those that are 'vertically well endowed' Mercedes-Benz are therefore NOT at fault over this single issue. (The memory module is a different issue)

Hell-ona Yama-ha-ha, just has to use cushions and blocks on the pedals

I found out about this setting completely by accident when I was having a discussion with a Mercedes-Benz technician that was working on our car.

Good luck,
John
Old 01-15-2005, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by glojo
it is an excellent option that is designed for those that are 'vertically well endowed'
Don't you mean "dimensionaly challanged"... Or perhaps you ment when you were laying down???? :v
Old 01-15-2005, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Don't you mean "dimensionaly challanged"... Or perhaps you ment when you were laying down???? :v
Hi Harley,
I am indeed horizontally 'well endowed' being practically bed bound and 6' 7". My driving is now mainly of the 'back seat' variety when I go out on a stretcher in my 'stretched limo'. Some folks however have the nerve to call my limo a Sprinter van.

Take care,
John
Old 01-15-2005, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Those Sprinter Vans were starting to make their appearance for the 1st time last year here in the states. Here they have a small badge affixed to the front fenders that says "Powered by Mercedes" or something like that. They don't have any MB Badging here. I have seen them with Dodge & Freightliner Badges though.

How come they're so tall and narrow? I think they'd be in better proportion if they were somewhat wider.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Those Sprinter Vans were starting to make their appearance for the 1st time last year here in the states. Here they have a small badge affixed to the front fenders that says "Powered by Mercedes" or something like that. They don't have any MB Badging here. I have seen them with Dodge & Freightliner Badges though.

How come they're so tall and narrow? I think they'd be in better proportion if they were somewhat wider.
Hi Barry,
I think it is the way the picture is perhaps taken plus mine is a 'high-top'.

Are the US versions actually CDI powered? The older Sprinters which are now no longer produced over here have a 2.7ltr Mercedes-Benz engine but is not a CDI and it sounds very much like this is what is being exported?

It has what is known as a 'Sprint-Shift' gearbox which is a wonderful piece of German technology which they describe as a 'clutchless manual'. Wife calls it an automatic, but in truth it is a brilliant 'clutchless manual'

Air conditioning trunked throughout the vehicle, DVD with Dynamic Route Guidance plus TMC which is a again a very clever piece of technology that 'Oslo' and European members have access to in their 211's but here in the UK we do not.

We have just come back from a 600 mile round trip most of which was motorways where the cruise control was set at a speed 'just slightly' over the 70mph speed limit and the vehicle averaged 36.9 miles per gallon.

I am very impressed with it.

Regards,
John
Old 01-15-2005, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Yup, I can se the "popped top". I don't know what engines are being used in them here. UPS has begun using them & Plumbers & tradespeople whe want a larger stand up van in which to work than the regular "full sized, engine in the front seat vans" available here. I have seen none yet with the passenger windows installed, and equipped as a passenger type vehicle. I might have to go look at one at a dealer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Easy Entry/Exit not working