E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Dealer's don't do windshield replacement do they?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
Dealer's don't do windshield replacement do they?

Got a stone off my windshield today (of course right in front of my face), and it will spread. Question I have is do the dealers do this, or do they send it out to one of those auto glass places. If so, do you they use MB glass. Several years ago I saw a segment on a "60 minutes" type show about these auto glass places. Especially the "mobile" ones. Most were done incorrectly, handled improperly, wrong materials, etc. Was surprised to learn that the windshield is a critical component in the car's structural support in the event of an accident. They clearly documented how incorrectly installing new glass caused severe injury and fatalities that may not have occured had it been done correctly. Also, the thought of these butchers handling a large piece of glass over my car's finish is not a comforting thought.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Usually, the if you take it to the dealer, he will order MB glass, & call his local glass shop mobile install guy to come install it at the dealership lot. Since that is the case, I would suggest you look for a certified PPG shop. (Not Safelite) Since MB is such a "limited distribution" brand, he will probably not have any aftermarket glass from which to choose, (but DO inquire) so HE will order the glass grom MB, pick it up & install it in his own shop. He will charge you less than the dealer.

If it is an insurance claim replacement, they probably will not pay what the dealer will charge anyway, but if they will, give it to the dealer to do. Insurance generally will pay what the glass shop will charge, because they charge the insurance companies much less than they will charge you to get all the insurance jobs they can get. If they will pay the MB dealer what he asks, give it to the dealer. It won't cost you & you & the dealer will make out ok with the deal.

Windshields are an integral part of the veichle's rollover protection. Crummy shops will not handle the glass with gloves & will contaminate edges which will affect adhesion. Also there are many types of windshield adhesive around. A certified shop will allways use the right one. Improperly installed windshields can pop out in a rollover, or you can be ejected & pop it out with your body. Auto windshields are 21st century technology, not 1963 technology.

A good shop will give you an undetectable, safe repair. I know you love your car. I love mine!

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 08-25-2004 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:05 PM

2003 E-500
Most large MB dealers that also do body work will replace windshields. If you have a smaller dealer that does not routinely do body work, then you may have to go elsewhere to have windshield replaced. I would recommend you have the windshield replaced by an MB dealer with an MB approved windshield. Often times, you will find the process for replacing a windshield is unique to a specific model of car or truck. I found this out when my daughter had a new Honda that had wind noise from the windshield. Her selling dealer couldnt repair it properly. Then she went to a larger dealer near us, and they fixed it. However, it took over night to do so as they had to remove the original sealing compound and then apply new compound and let it set up for several hours before they installed the windshield. That solved the problem and it never has recurred. In this case, they didn't replace the windshield but merely reinstalled it properly. Good luck.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by cte430
Got a stone off my windshield today (of course right in front of my face), and it will spread. Question I have is do the dealers do this, or do they send it out to one of those auto glass places. If so, do you they use MB glass. Several years ago I saw a segment on a "60 minutes" type show about these auto glass places. Especially the "mobile" ones. Most were done incorrectly, handled improperly, wrong materials, etc. Was surprised to learn that the windshield is a critical component in the car's structural support in the event of an accident. They clearly documented how incorrectly installing new glass caused severe injury and fatalities that may not have occured had it been done correctly. Also, the thought of these butchers handling a large piece of glass over my car's finish is not a comforting thought.

Chris,
I saw that 60 minutes as well, very disturbing. I had a crack on the ML windshield and took it back to my selling dealer in albany, ny (keeler). They then had a glass company come in and do the job. After that I always had a water leak that no one could find. I then took it to the dealer and told them it had to be the windshield... they ended up taking the ML for over a month, replacing computers, dash panels, insulation (that was all soaked due to the water leak)... it was awful. The new window doesn't leak now and its perfect!
Old 08-25-2004, 01:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
And an attentive dealer will order (separate part no.) the right hand sticker with the Daimler Benz signature, or something like that.

It keeps your car looking original and no question about a problem or window replacement.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:04 PM

06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
I had to replace the glass on my '95 three times and this is what I found out.

*Most of the dealers call in a mobile glass replacer.

*Glass replacement is NOT rocket science but it requires a LOT of tugging and pulling over very expensive paint finishes. If they are sloppy you will notice the results on your hood and denders.

*Most shops use secondary sources of windshield (PPG) and the price goes WAY down. For the '95, it cost me about $150US to replace the windshield. The installer told me that he buys the windshield for $40 NEW. So imagine what Benz makes when they charge you $700 for windshield replacement.

*Be carefull the glass shops are not putting in seconds. Some of the cheapest glass has so much distortion that it's just a pain to see through.

*And last but no least, shop around. Every time I replace my windshield, I get quotes from $150US to $700US (dealer).
Old 08-25-2004, 06:05 PM

06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
Originally Posted by TPAbnz
And an attentive dealer will order (separate part no.) the right hand sticker with the Daimler Benz signature, or something like that.

It keeps your car looking original and no question about a problem or window replacement.
They heat up the old one and stick it on the new glass. I saw them do it on mine.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Just a follow up. Went to my dealer today and he wrote up an estimate for my insurance company. $1,400??!! They are set up to do it there. They got into it as a result of that sixty minutes episode. Said they have a liability risk if something happened and they didn't do it. I feel better that they will be doing it, using MB parts, etc., but still very nervous about them handling the glass over my car's finish! He knows i'm fanatical and I will certainly remind him when I bring it in.