Old 03-18-2021, 06:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E320 Diesel
Exclamation 2007 E320 Bluetec Transmission Shudder at 6th gear and D

Hey all,

The Benz:
2007 Mercedes E320 Bluetec
126,050 miles on

History- car was leased until 80k miles when my dad purchased it from the dealer- not sure if transmission service was done at dealer but being a leased vehicle, it must have been done at least once but not sure.

Intro:
This is my first post to the MBWorld! Long story short, I was very excited to have this car. My dad asked if I wanted his "well maintained" benz. I remember the day he purchased it and it was sure nice. It was too good to be true! My cousin drove it over to my house and complained about a bad vibration. So I thought okay maybe its a simple fix. The car body is super clean, and interior is almost flawless. It would be such a waste to get rid of it but I also dont want to sink in a bunch of money on fixes that dont resolve the real issue.

THE PROBLEM
So after 2 weeks of troubleshooting- I FINALLY narrowed it down to gears 6 and D if there is a D as a gear. The car would violently shake/shudder at 40pmh when driving it easy (cycling through the gears). I drove the car and I can replicate the issue every time. kept it on 5th up to 60mph, smooth as butter, shift to 6th gear and SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE THAT BOOTY. Its killing me. I've read on forums that it would be the transmission fluid, torque converter, gear box. I just don't want to put all this money into this thing only to end up selling it at a big big loss. Has anyone experienced this? Any solution?

Prior to all of this I looked over the car and it all checked out... I took it to a transmission shop thinking maybe it was the rear dif- u-joint or center bearing. Said no issues but a rim was bent. figured no problem, I went to get my tires balances and checked the rims, I did not see any bends. Rotated the tires, checked wheel bearings, alignment ball joint. Nothing. Engine mounts will be replaced but it wouldn't cause that issue just in 1 gear. Took it to another transmission shop and they said its definitely something in there but would cost $3752 to fix but even they are not certain to what the exact issue is. I can do the work if I must but I want some hope before I go spend 200 bucks on a flush, or 400 bucks on an electronic unit or 200 bucks on selonoids, etc. This turned out to be a nightmare. I am hoping to keep the car and take care of it and dont want to do unnecessary repairs where i can spend it on something more important like engine mounts which will be done if i can fix this issue.

ANYHELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!