Where do I start?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK500
Where do I start?

Hi all!

I've been browsing Mercedes forums and finally I convinced myself to get a 2005 E500 this weekend. However, I am unhappy with how the car looks and would like to spend a few dollars to make it look different.

I am new at these things, and would like to know where I should begin, and where to go. I am in law school so I have to take small steps.

I live in Bonita, a part of San Diego. 'hope anyone can help!

Jessica.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
Originally Posted by MallChick
Hi all!

I've been browsing Mercedes forums and finally I convinced myself to get a 2005 E500 this weekend. However, I am unhappy with how the car looks and would like to spend a few dollars to make it look different.

I am new at these things, and would like to know where I should begin, and where to go. I am in law school so I have to take small steps.

Jessica.

Well if you want it out of the dealer looking different(without going to extreme) I would definitely get the AMG package(I WISH they had that when I picked up mine ). If you are looking for something a little more extreme then you can order a body kit and wheels from a performance store. There are PLENTY good ones in So Cal
Old 09-06-2004, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
i agree with the amg kit if you have not already picked it up. wheels also can change the whole style of the car too. i would say wheels and tint would be my first two ext modifications.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
if you really want the car to look different, consider buying the CLS350 instead.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:14 PM

2003 CLK500
What is a CLS350?
Old 09-06-2004, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
Hi all!

Jessica.
What options do you have? Color, appearance/sport package? Just dont go and get crappy chrome wheels..
Old 09-06-2004, 11:56 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
The price of an E500 is 'way too much to spend for a car if its looks don't please you. Better you should get a car that you like in showroom form, and then add stuff to it as necessary to fine-tune its appearance to your taste. You didn't say what it was about the E500 that doth not please, but have you considered the current BMW 5-series or (if you can wait a few months) the new Audi A6? Those are cars that make a very definite styling statement right out of the box. The W211 makes a statement, too, but it's a lot more restrained.

SB #054321 (really!)
Old 09-07-2004, 08:52 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
MallChick:

If you just want to "set your car apart from every other E out there", one of the most basic mods you can make is replacing the front grille (with a CL type grille) and hood ornament (makes the car look sportier/ more agressive, IMHO).

Many of us (self included) have performed this mod; cost is about US$270, and only takes about 10-20 minutes to complete, the only tool you'd need is a phillips head screwdriver to remove the 6 screws holding the grille in place.

Here's the link to the supplier, ForMyMerecedes.Com, check it out.

GL.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:21 AM

2003 CLK500
Thanks for the input everyone!

DWP: I hate the BMW 5-series (or the entire BMW line for that matter), and I do not like Audis as well. Where I live, I see a lot of these cars running around everyday, and it is the same basic reason that I prefer not to own the same ones.

I've been looking around and I think I want bigger wheels and accent spoilers to start.

How much should I set aside for a set, and what design can you recommend?
Old 09-07-2004, 12:04 PM

I've been browsing Mercedes forums and finally I convinced myself to get a 2005 E500 this weekend
Buying a MB 500 after browsing forums?

I am unhappy with how the car looks
Why buy it then?

spend a few dollars to make it look different

What is a CLS350?
Browse some MB Forums!

I hate the BMW 5-series
Grow up, and welcome back .....

Last edited by Oslo; 09-07-2004 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Why don't you simply buy a car that you like???

John
Sunny and hot Torquay
Old 09-07-2004, 02:03 PM

This thread had to be posed in jest. The troll must be ROTFL at the replies. If not, then I feel sorry for him/her.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:28 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
If you don't like the way the E series looks, I would suggest a looking at some KIA's or possibly an old Lada from the 70's.. Hehe..

Are you serious, what is not to like? What kind of car are you driving now?
Old 09-07-2004, 05:02 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
I agree that the styling on BMW, MB, etc. may not be to everybody's liking. But if you like the quad headlight design on a solid German car, you may want to consider the following:

http://www.trabantforum.de/

You would not worry whether you'd see yourself "coming and going" on every California street corner.

Law school? You'd be a standout in the student parking lot.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:55 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Yes, now that's what I am talking about, hehe.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:33 PM

2003 CLK500
Originally Posted by atssystems.com
If you don't like the way the E series looks, I would suggest a looking at some KIA's or possibly an old Lada from the 70's.. Hehe..

Are you serious, what is not to like? What kind of car are you driving now?
I didn't realize that you like those cars that you would recommend them! Hehe..

I drive a 2003 CLK500 as my daily driver.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:35 PM

2003 CLK500
Originally Posted by glojo
Why don't you simply buy a car that you like???

John
Sunny and hot Torquay
I like the E-Class but I don't want the car to be the typical stock E-Class you find on the road.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:36 PM

2003 CLK500
Originally Posted by Oslo
Buying a MB 500 after browsing forums?

Why buy it then?

Browse some MB Forums!

Grow up, and welcome back .....
Just amazes me how immature your responses are.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just amazes me how immature your responses are.
Welcome to the club!!
Old 09-07-2004, 06:39 PM

2003 CLK500
Originally Posted by Baby Jocko
This thread had to be posed in jest. The troll must be ROTFL at the replies. If not, then I feel sorry for him/her.
No need to feel sorry for me. You should feel sorry for the smart a$$ immature people who replied to my post.

I may end up getting an SL... looks like the E-Class owners who responded here do not have respect.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No need to feel sorry for me. You should feel sorry for the smart a$$ immature people who replied to my post.

I may end up getting an SL... looks like the E-Class owners who responded here do not have respect.
Well, maybe you should consider what you are saying. It doesnt make a lot of sense that after your research, you went out to buy a car only to find you dont like the way it looks.. its not us with the problem

Not trying to be a smart@ss, but seriously. And to sell the E for an SL?? #1, why would you do that over what some board members say, #2 the SL is another 40K+, and #3 those cars are hardly comparable! except for the little star in the front, which I suspect is your main reason for buying the car? Obviously wasn't the looks..

For what its worth, this board is extremely informative and fair 99% of the time, far more than any Audi and BMW boards I've been on. I'd suggest you search around some more and figure out what it is exactly that you are looking for. Good luck!

Last edited by Brav; 09-07-2004 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:15 PM

2004 E500
I must be missing something. Why would so many people buy the Appearance and AMG packages, not to mention all of the after-market kits, different lights, Euro strips, tinted glass, etc. unless there was something they didn't like about the way the car looks in its standard stock version? Mallchik's request seemed logical to me although she may have exaggerated a bit. But, who hasn't exaggerated at times on these forums?
Old 09-08-2004, 03:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BoSoxFan
I must be missing something. Why would so many people buy the Appearance and AMG packages, not to mention all of the after-market kits, different lights, Euro strips, tinted glass, etc. unless there was something they didn't like about the way the car looks in its standard stock version? Mallchik's request seemed logical to me although she may have exaggerated a bit. But, who hasn't exaggerated at times on these forums?

I can only speak for myself here, but I like everything about the 211 and that is why I purchased it. Our vehicle has quite a 'few' options and that has both personalised the vehicle, and also given it extra options that are quite simply the icing on the cake.

The written word has never been the best form of communication, and we are all guilty of perhaps interpretating the wrong 'meaning' or context of the message. Also we are privileged to have members from a variety of countries who native language is not English. (Fastbuck comes from Scotland ) Surely if someone asks for an opinion, we all have a right to contribute.

Sadly there are people that ask questions solely to get an 'adverse' response, but hopefully this member has not done that.

My humour sadly might offend some, but I have NEVER set out to do that, and I do not believe anyone on this thread is guilty of such an act.

Good luck with your choice of vehicle, and hopefully we will buy one that you like.

The SL is an excellent choice, but sadly there is no room for my dog, two children, and of course 'she that must be obeyed'.

John
Windy and Cloudy Torquay
(Hope the spelling is okee dokee)
Old 09-08-2004, 05:56 AM

2003 CLK500
My problem at the moment is that the guilty people here responded intentionally and knowingly with sarcasm. Others still took it to another level of being a smart a$$. That's fine... it just shows me what kind of people I am communicating with.

My questions were raised without prejudice. I advised that I was going to purchase an E-Class this weekend (hint: the definition of a weekend for me are the days Saturday and Sunday, hence I have NOT purchased one yet since my original post was on a Monday), but would like such an E-Class to be more personalized to my liking. Never did I say that I dislike the E-Class, all I wanted was an input regarding where and what to get aftermarket, from people whom I thought were respectable. I was proven wrong.

I cannot sell something that I do not have, so with your indulgence, please read again as a matter of advice. Moreover, the SL was the other car I was going back-and-forth with, so based on what I experienced here, I think my final decision is now to go for the SL.

With all due respect, my apologies extend to the other E-Class owners. It is not my intention to generalize everyone and classify them with those who responded sarcastically to my questions.

But then again, its my mistake to even register and participate on this forum.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi all!

Jessica.

Hi Jessica,
Sorry for any misunderstanding, and I for one would be sadden to think that I contributed to your leaving this brilliant forum.

The E-class is an ideal family car that you can buy numerous options to give it that 'individual' look.

Externally I think the AMG package (not the actual AMG vehicle) is worth considering, including the wheels.

There arer other kits that you might want to consider like Brabus etc.

Internally I would recommend the upgraded 4-zone climate control and try all the different options for dynamic seating etc.

Sales persons generally will try to sell you what they have, rather than what you want. Don't be rushed. Buy what you want. Colour is a very personal choice and one that you will have to live with. You can see the colour of my choice, but it is not to everyone's liking.

If you want to be different, don't go for silver go for something different.

I'm sure that your American colleagues will be able to give more details of the various upgrades/accessories that are available in your beautiful country.

Good luck with your choice and PLEASE keep us informed of your final decision.

John
Sunny with little wind
Torquay

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Where do I start?