*sigh* Navi is pathetic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
*sigh* Navi is pathetic

as great as the overall car is, navi really pisses me off. talk bout great idea and poor execution. i hate that you cant turn the navi voice all the way off completely, as im tired of being told FOUR times that i will be making a right turn.. "prepare to turn right" "1/2 mile.." "1/4 mile" "800 feet..." "turn now.." "you just turned right, good job." " hey, good job turning right back there"

tired of it.. also on my M3 i could look for specific stores, not just what came up in the vague lists and POIs. That and the lack of street names as you are in map mode. makes the map pointless unless you memorize every curve of every street.

that and how it just dumps you off on a street, most of the time not telling you where on the street or left or right where the destination is. residential isnt that big of a deal but commercial it can be a nightmare.

MB, if you are listening! There should be 2 or 3 modes as far as how much "help" you get from the system. most of the time you are not planning a huge cross country trip, and just need to find a radio shack or something. maybe a separate mute for navi voice - would be great.

I remember thinking how crappy BMW was compared to lexus, acura etc. but MB has lowered the bar.. and they have one of the latest systems!

Hopefully in the future these things will be fixed or improved.. just hurts when i see cars half the price with these things worked out. Now im not bashing, I just think the little things should be worked out in a car like this. I'd still buy the car again, im sure.

As a disclaimer, I'm younger, gadget nut quasi nerd type.. i miss RDS, steering wheel presets, etc, etc.. just venting!
Old 09-06-2004, 11:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I want a Honda Navigation system.
Lexus Ride.
Mercedes aura.
And BMW handling.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W208 CLK320
Originally Posted by vraa
Lexus Ride.
Mercedes aura.
And BMW handling.
Hyundai Price
Old 09-07-2004, 01:48 AM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Originally Posted by Brav
as great as the overall car is, navi really pisses me off. talk bout great idea and poor execution. i hate that you cant turn the navi voice all the way off completely, as im tired of being told FOUR times that i will be making a right turn.. "prepare to turn right" "1/2 mile.." "1/4 mile" "800 feet..." "turn now.." "you just turned right, good job." " hey, good job turning right back there"

tired of it.. also on my M3 i could look for specific stores, not just what came up in the vague lists and POIs. That and the lack of street names as you are in map mode. makes the map pointless unless you memorize every curve of every street.

that and how it just dumps you off on a street, most of the time not telling you where on the street or left or right where the destination is. residential isnt that big of a deal but commercial it can be a nightmare.

MB, if you are listening! There should be 2 or 3 modes as far as how much "help" you get from the system. most of the time you are not planning a huge cross country trip, and just need to find a radio shack or something. maybe a separate mute for navi voice - would be great.

I remember thinking how crappy BMW was compared to lexus, acura etc. but MB has lowered the bar.. and they have one of the latest systems!

Hopefully in the future these things will be fixed or improved.. just hurts when i see cars half the price with these things worked out. Now im not bashing, I just think the little things should be worked out in a car like this. I'd still buy the car again, im sure.

As a disclaimer, I'm younger, gadget nut quasi nerd type.. i miss RDS, steering wheel presets, etc, etc.. just venting!
Hi

Can u not turn off the voice the same as the euro comand.

- when she is speaking
- press and hold the mute button (button with speaker on at the bottom of comand)
- msg comes up on screen that voice commands are muted.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:00 AM

Or if you have Linguatronic, say:

"Guidance instructions off"
Old 09-07-2004, 09:02 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Originally Posted by Apollo
Hi

Can u not turn off the voice the same as the euro comand.

- when she is speaking
- press and hold the mute button (button with speaker on at the bottom of comand)
- msg comes up on screen that voice commands are muted.
Yeah.. BRAV:

Press and hold [MUTE] for about 2-3 seconds, while the voice is patting you on the back for doing such a great job at that right turn.. NAV instructions will then be muted for the remainder of that journey; they will, however, be reactivated when the car is turned off then on again.

BTW, perhaps reading the manual would relieve/prevent some of your future frustrations.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
In my meager defense, I've tried the mute thing thinking logically it would work as you have to change the volume while shes barking at you. Didn't seem to work.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Originally Posted by vraa
Lexus Ride.
Mercedes aura.
And BMW handling.
Point made. I guess we can't have everything, even for $60K.