Back Engine Whining

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E260 3.0 2007
Unhappy Back Engine Whining

Hi all,

W211 E280 - 2007 3.0 V6 - I have searched other "Noise" posts but none really the same as my issue.

I was waiting to pick someone up in the lobby and suddenly the engine died. All dash lights came on. I turned off the ignition and waited a couple of minutes and tried a restart. It turned over for a moment and died again. After a few attempts and waiting longer, it finally started up and I got it to the mechanics close by. He put it on the the test computer and found that cylinder 6 was misfiring. He also found a small vacuum pipe dis-connected from a top engine unit (sorry, I'm not a mechanic). He re-connected that, the misfire error reset HOWEVER, now I have a loud WHIRRING sound from the back of the engine.

Like many whining sounds described in other threads, mine does not go away or quieten down as I run the car.

The mechanic who is a bit of a muppet said, "It will be fine if you can live it. Many older MB have noises". Well I'm not fine with because my engine up to that point it died was quiet and beautifully smooth. The only noise I have ever had was the belt tensioner bearing which I changed.

I have heard some whining/whirring sounds in MB before but mine has an oscillation to it and is loud outside and very audible in the cabin. When I turn the engine off, it stops REALLY fast without that smooth wind-down to stop and there is an air compression sound (is that normal)

Here are YouTube Links and I have also attached the files if it's easier:
This is noise & stop:
This is just the oscillating noise:

Thank you for any help.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
W211_noise.mov (4.29 MB, 7 views)
File Type: mov
W221 NOISE _STOP.mov (2.50 MB, 6 views)

Last edited by BartonJak; 06-05-2021 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Adding important info