E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 06:00 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Suspension Question

I have a 2004 E320 which has Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs. I need to buy rear shocks. I actually have two questions. Ive been looking around and found KYB Gas A Just Shocks at Andys Auto Sport and on page it says,"KYB shocks provide optimal ride quality for vehicles that are at factory ride height or within 1.5 inches of the factory ride height." I ordered these but when I got order confirmation it said they will ship in a month and they are in Cali and I am to so I cancelled order. And have been looking at shocks and I can across Bilstien B8 Series Sport and it says,"Shortened high-performance shock absorbers for virtually every lowering spring set and series production sport vehicles." So when buying lowering springs it matters if you have 6 or 8 cylinder right? Im not positive but Im assuming if you have a w211 with Sport it would be a 8 cylinder right? So would the weight difference need to be considered when buying shocks also? Im pretty low on cash right now would I be ok getting the KYB shocks? I also have staggerd 20x8.5 front 20x10 rear if that makes difference.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:25 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2014 E550
my advice would be to stop overthinking it and get the bilsteins
Old 06-13-2021, 08:09 AM

I really dont think Im over thinking any thing. Im a 1st time Mercedes owner trying to learn about my vehicle. If Im going to be spending money to repair or upgrade this vehicle then I want to understand what my options are and what is best hardware for the money is and why. I was hoping that someone here might know of more shocks for lowered w211 and why they would or wouldnt choose what ever. I think anyone making decisions spending money with no knowledge on topic is definately under thinking it. But thats just my opinion.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
W211 Sports could be 6 or 8 cylinder models. Run your VIN through lastvin.com and see what is noted. There can be codes listed for your Mercedes that might be relevant to shock choices.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 410 Likes on 341 Posts
C320
Whether you have 6 or 8 cyls matter far less than than the fact that you're using those horribly heavy 20" wheels. No w211 springs, shocks or ball joints were designed to deal with all that spinning mass.
The following users liked this post:
Bounder (07-12-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 10:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
See attachments.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
rear shock.pdf (105.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: pdf
Side without load through.pdf (49.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 06-16-2021, 10:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
I don’t know about influence of 20” wheel mass but the adaptability of the Bilstiens is good. I’ve dealt with them on various cars and Bilstien has been a reliable supplier. I think it is a safe bet.

KYB is not bad but if they don’t recommend use on a lowered car, they probably have had some issues you don’t need to deal with.

Good luck,
Peter
Old 06-18-2021, 09:47 PM

konigstiger
Thank u so much for the directions appreciate it.

ptkacik
Thank u for taking time to answer my questions and thank u so much for the tone in which u answer. Its people like u who make newbies feel more comfortable to ask a question here. And isnt that the whole point of this forum?

tjts1
How would u define horribly heavy 20" wheels? How many pounds over stock would it take to qualify as horribly heavy?
I wondered a few times about it. Because of some of the negative things Ive experienced like turning radius. So I decided to weigh the perfect holy stock rim weight and it was 44.6 pounds and the evil horrible 20" rim not the 8.5" front but the more evil 10" was 52.7 pounds! So there was a 8.1 pound difference. Im not gonna pretend to know more about Mercedes then u because I dont but for a 8.1 pound difference and how much better it looks to me I can live with it. Have u look at the pics members sent in on the sticky w211 picture thread? Have u read any of the comments on there? How many times did u see people giving mass props over a stock w211? I saw very few in comparison to w211s that people customized with those horrible huge evil rims. To each there own I would never try to convince u to put 30" rims on your car like they do in the south. Because its your car u do with it what u want u bought it paid for it what ever.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:19 AM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
Personally I find tjts1's posts to be mostly informative.

Anyhow, you can filter out responses from certain members. I believe it is in your settings.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,007 Likes on 675 Posts
'11 E350, '11 E550, '98 M3, '95 E320
Yea, sometimes there's those who have great knowledge... but come off rude. Sometimes you need to filter their opinion from fact.
Old 06-23-2021, 01:31 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
'07 E350 (W211)
Originally Posted by E320G
tjts1
How would u define horribly heavy 20" wheels? How many pounds over stock would it take to qualify as horribly heavy?
I wondered a few times about it. Because of some of the negative things Ive experienced like turning radius. So I decided to weigh the perfect holy stock rim weight and it was 44.6 pounds and the evil horrible 20" rim not the 8.5" front but the more evil 10" was 52.7 pounds! So there was a 8.1 pound difference. Im not gonna pretend to know more about Mercedes then u because I dont but for a 8.1 pound difference and how much better it looks to me I can live with it. Have u look at the pics members sent in on the sticky w211 picture thread? Have u read any of the comments on there? How many times did u see people giving mass props over a stock w211? I saw very few in comparison to w211s that people customized with those horrible huge evil rims. To each there own I would never try to convince u to put 30" rims on your car like they do in the south. Because its your car u do with it what u want u bought it paid for it what ever.
There is an issue of rotating mass to consider. I could be off slightly in the exact figure, but I believe that rolling mass is the equivalent of ~4x the weight added to the car. So that extra 8lbs is the equivalent of 32lbs x 4 wheels in terms of the effort required to move it. Not sure exactly how that translates to the forces on wheel bearings, suspension components, etc.... but it's not nothing. Just some info you may consider as you educate yourself. Good luck!
Old 06-23-2021, 02:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 W211 CDI
Originally Posted by E320G
I really dont think Im over thinking any thing. Im a 1st time Mercedes owner trying to learn about my vehicle. If Im going to be spending money to repair or upgrade this vehicle then I want to understand what my options are and what is best hardware for the money is and why. I was hoping that someone here might know of more shocks for lowered w211 and why they would or wouldnt choose what ever. I think anyone making decisions spending money with no knowledge on topic is definately under thinking it. But thats just my opinion.
You're definitely over thinking, go with Bilsteins and be done with it. After you change the shocks you may want to re think the current wheel and front grille choices.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:51 PM

Yeah I thank u that have shared your knowledge in a positive way. I should probably explain why I got mad it wasnt the members comments on this topic that got me upset it was elsewhere. So then I looked up other posts he does and it seens as though he really enjoys being a A*SHOLE. Jus because someones tastes are different then yours theres no reason to chime in and insult them. I see things on here that I dont care about and somethings I dont like but I jus dont click it. I would not click it and theres people enjoying there conversation and be rude as can be insult then then include family all because there tastes r different. I really gotta wonder what that person thinks of themselves. That there opinion is only 1 that matters and is superior. Theres a right way and a wrong way to say everything.