E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

I have pics of wifes wrecked E500 need a host.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ToyCollector
Sorry to hear about the incident and fortunately only loss to the car mostly. Main thing is wife and passenger are OK. Car held up very well. I notice all the windows are down, is that something the Es do after impact strong enough to deply airbags?
She rolled down the windows after the collision because the airbags filled the cabin with dust/gas/spent rocket fuel or whatever it was.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
i wonder if they will be able to redo the nano-paint
Old 09-12-2004, 07:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Damn Im glad your wife and her friend are ok. It looks like that was a very serious accident. I hope they just total the car and give you a new one, doesnt look to me like a car i would want to drive after being repaired.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
Originally Posted by AlBoston
i wonder if they will be able to redo the nano-paint
thats a dumb question
Old 09-12-2004, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by BklynBenz
thats a dumb question
What is nano paint??
Old 09-12-2004, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by 04E500
What is nano paint??
http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/...tid=21942&pg=1
Old 09-12-2004, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
thats a dumb question

Why? Who else uses Nano paint? I suppose that just plain old clear coat can be used but it won't be hard coated.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Originally Posted by BudC
Why? Who else uses Nano paint? I suppose that just plain old clear coat can be used but it won't be hard coated.
no i mean thats a dumb question to be asking the guy after his wife just got into an accident with the w211. i think the paint and clear coat is one of the last things on his mind.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,420 Likes on 3,147 Posts
'71 Pinto
i think the paint and clear coat is one of the last things on his mind.
Not necessarily. Certainly it’s not first by no means, but valid nonetheless. I don’t think the car was officially totaled yet and therefore it might need to be held. If so, how will they match the nano finish?

BTW, where are you located in Brooklyn (neighborhood)? How about fazooley? Curious, I relocated in ’92.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:05 AM

2007 E63, 2007 BMW 335i Coupe & 1991 Honda Accord
WoW!! I am happy to hear your wife and friend are fine considering the impact. The E definitely saved the day for what could have ended up with more serious results had it been another car.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:55 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
04e500:

I was in a similar accident back in February '04 with my '03 e500. It was a 25mph impact against a 'raised' pick-up truck..

..missed my bumper.. engine absorbed the impact.. insurance company, Geico, totalled the car.

Here are the pics:

If the pics don't show, then here's a quick link: Wrecked '03 e500
Attached Thumbnails I have pics of wifes wrecked E500 need a host.-dscn0002.jpg   I have pics of wifes wrecked E500 need a host.-accident1.jpg   I have pics of wifes wrecked E500 need a host.-accident2.jpg   I have pics of wifes wrecked E500 need a host.-accident3.jpg   I have pics of wifes wrecked E500 need a host.-accident4.jpg  

Old 09-13-2004, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
thats a dumb question
Not really, I am happy his wife and passenger are ok and the car performed as it should have in the accident. I posed this question because he obviously seems concerned about "diminished value" of the car and hoping they will total it. So I was wondering if he spoke to any shops about redoing the original clear coat that was on the car to help maintain the original finish.

The red E500 looks like it took more of a hit to the engine then this black one, but these accidents look stunningly similar.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:03 PM

Thank all of you for your well wishes. My wife is still sore and is seeing her regular physician today to address her neck pain. She is still sore in several areas but she is getting around fine. Our friend is still very sore as well and continues to struggle a bit with her left knee/leg so we're continuing to watch her and pray for her.

We are certainly lobbying to have the car totalled and the paint issue is one of many topics we will be discussing in the coming week in hopes of totalling this car and replacing it with a new one. The car simply cannot be returned to its factory condition and it would be foolish to think the car, after being repaired, would function at its factory original level.

There is no doubt in my mind that not one of us on this board would purchase this car for anything more than salvage if given the opportunity. I very sincerely appreciate any information that you have or would share regarding this issue.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:13 PM

Update, the estimate has come back at 27,500 before they get into the structure. We guestimate the actual repairs will easily exceed 30,000 as they were going to perform the engine mechanicals themselves

I saw the engine today and I am again at complete odds with the collision center. Two cast pieces were sheared, the harmonic balancer is damaged and they have not even bothered to have a Mercedes technician look over the car.

We are hoping that State Farm will realize that the collision center is selling them a bill of goods and realize the car cannot be restored.

We talked to our dealership who confirmed the car could never be starmarked and that they would not even take the car in on trade if they had an option.

This is really a hassle.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,420 Likes on 3,147 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by 04E500
We talked to our dealership who confirmed the car could never be starmarked and that they would not even take the car in on trade if they had an option.
FYI (just in case):

(1) Comparative negligence. AZ law says it’s possible that one person might not be completely at fault when something goes wrong (i.e.: contributed slightly to the accident due to improper lookout). When it comes time to settle, less than 100% reimbursement might be offered because the other driver’s insurance company determines a percentage was your fault even if the police report makes it clear who was at fault. For instance, they might say she didn’t properly anticipate the other driver loosing control and coming into your lane. This can be appealed through the other driver’s insurance company. If that doesn’t work, refuse its settlement offer and file a claim with your own insurance company.

(2) Diminished value. It’s not a bonus, it’s what you deserve. Your vehicle is damaged and repaired. Even though the repairs are perfect, you have a problem. When you go to sell your car, the potential buyer is going to ask you if it’s ever been in an accident. When you say yes, they’re going to think twice about buying your car. The accident diminished the value of your car. The tough part is figuring out how much. Everyone has a different formula. It could be 25% of the repair bill, or 10% to 20% of the value of the vehicle. Biggest problem, insurance companies stall. The companies claim not to know about diminished value. Remember, you can’t get diminished from your own insurance company. Quote a court case called Farmer’s Insurance Co. of AZ vs. R.B.I. Investment Co. It’s one of many cases that established your right to diminished value in our state.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Originally Posted by konigstiger
FYI (just in case):

(1) Comparative negligence. AZ law says it’s possible that one person might not be completely at fault when something goes wrong (i.e.: contributed slightly to the accident due to improper lookout). When it comes time to settle, less than 100% reimbursement might be offered because the other driver’s insurance company determines a percentage was your fault even if the police report makes it clear who was at fault. For instance, they might say she didn’t properly anticipate the other driver loosing control and coming into your lane. This can be appealed through the other driver’s insurance company. If that doesn’t work, refuse its settlement offer and file a claim with your own insurance company.

(2) Diminished value. It’s not a bonus, it’s what you deserve. Your vehicle is damaged and repaired. Even though the repairs are perfect, you have a problem. When you go to sell your car, the potential buyer is going to ask you if it’s ever been in an accident. When you say yes, they’re going to think twice about buying your car. The accident diminished the value of your car. The tough part is figuring out how much. Everyone has a different formula. It could be 25% of the repair bill, or 10% to 20% of the value of the vehicle. Biggest problem, insurance companies stall. The companies claim not to know about diminished value. Remember, you can’t get diminished from your own insurance company. Quote a court case called Farmer’s Insurance Co. of AZ vs. R.B.I. Investment Co. It’s one of many cases that established your right to diminished value in our state.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.
thats some good info konigstiger! i may need to use these points and see if i can find something similar in ny. thanks
Old 09-13-2004, 07:50 PM

I think I will need to get Konig on a retainer.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:14 PM

sell the car to middle east (you might have a good chance to get a good amount of money back) and buy a new one! I wouldnt drive a car which has been in an accident before...
Old 09-14-2004, 05:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Hopefully your worries will be groundless and the car 'wrote off'. I would point out that ALL damaged parts would have to be replaced with new fittings.

The 'nano' issue is also very valid. You purchased a vehicle with this new paint technology, that's what you wanted!!!! and that is what you got. It is highly unlikely that this paint would be used in any repair. That car has done 'its duty' and sadly should now be put to rest.

Thankfully an awful lot of the 50mph impact must have been absorbed by the offending vehicle. You must be so pleased that your wife is relatively uninjured, and hopefully the discomfort that your wife is experiencing is only short term and she soon puts this awful experience behind her.

Regards,
John
sunny with showers Torquay
Old 09-14-2004, 08:51 AM

Thanks John. I couldn't agree more. We are thrilled with the crash performance of the car and will replace it with another E-class. We know whats important and hope the insurer will come around. I have penned out a letter outlining the damage stating that the cars' safety, reliability and value have been irrevocably compromised.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by glojo
The 'nano' issue is also very valid. You purchased a vehicle with this new paint technology, that's what you wanted!!!! and that is what you got. It is highly unlikely that this paint would be used in any repair. That car has done 'its duty' and sadly should now be put to rest.
I completely agree, looks like brooklynbenz has now changed his tune.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
Diminshed value on my 99 E430

My wife was crashed into by an 18 Year old in a former Police cruiser Crown Vic. Basic insurance and I had to fight to get my car totaled. I used the following company for the Diminshed Value service they offered. Real nice complete report and well worth the money as I did collect after a brief volley of lawyer letters. Thankfully the lawyer is a close family member and treated it is if it was his own car case. Below is the link of the company I used.

http://www.vehicle-info.com/

Well worth it in my case. They are fully independent of the insurance companies and are regularly referred to in Body shop trade magazines and auto insurance trade magazines.

Randy
Old 09-15-2004, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by Randy B
I had to fight to get my car totaled. I used the following company for the Diminshed Value service they offered.
I am very pleased to hear that common sense prevailed. Could you possibly explain what a 'Diminished Value Service' means please?

Best wishes,
John
Old 09-15-2004, 01:30 PM

Great news! After a little back and forth State Farm has agreed to a total loss!

Need to find another E500.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
Originally Posted by glojo
I am very pleased to hear that common sense prevailed. Could you possibly explain what a 'Diminished Value Service' means please?

Best wishes,
John

They are a company that values your car from before the crash and that re-values your car post crash assuming all the repairs are done to a factory fit. If the car cannot be brought back to a factory fit then they take that into consideration as well, and give you a value based on current market conditions of your vehicle if you were to try and sell it after the repairs have taken place. This is your current market value. The difference between the two is your diminshed value.

Randy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I have pics of wifes wrecked E500 need a host.