Suspension clunks - where to start?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E550 4matic
Suspension clunks - where to start?

Hi all,

First post here. I've had my 2007 E550 4matic for going on 3 years now and it's been pretty solid. I (and the shop) have replaced the front air suspension, radiator, new wheels, and some other deferred maintenance from the previous owner.

More recently, the car has developed a clunk, most predominantly from the front right. The clunk happens going over small bumps, big bumps, and washboards. The swaybar end links look ok and I'm thinking either the control arm bushing or upper ball joints. Is there a simple way to determine if those need to be replaced? Maybe it's something else that I haven't thought of? I'm all ears for any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Here's a pic of the car:

Old 07-01-2021, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,008 Likes on 675 Posts
'11 E350, '11 E550, '98 M3, '95 E320
Can’t check by looking… swaybar links are common, ball-joints, worn airmatic struts/mounts, etc…

Get a prybar and check for play. Rubber bushings, check for excessive cracks and/or disbonding.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3
Can’t check by looking… swaybar links are common, ball-joints, worn airmatic struts/mounts, etc…

Get a prybar and check for play. Rubber bushings, check for excessive cracks and/or disbonding.
Thanks for the advice! I'll check things out!
Old 07-01-2021, 07:37 PM

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Upper ball joint is easy to replace. But also consider the stabilizer bar bushing. Earlier models had the bushing bonded to the stabilizer bar and eventually it would wear out and cause a clunk noise. Mercedes says to replace the whole bar to fix the problem. One way to check, disconnect the stabilizer bar links and go for a drive. Actually removing the links will probably be better to prevent them from hitting the bar accidentally. Or move the link out of the way. This will help guide you to figure out where the sound is coming from.